• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle's only had one tour in Australia TBF. Out caught two times so I'd hardly class that as being roughed up.
Wasn't refering solely to his runs in AUS. But his overall record vs AUS in test & ODIs, where he generally has been kept in check.

shivfan

Banned
I'm not disputing that Gayle has underachieved at Test level, because his average is just under 40 in that form of the game. But it's still better than Carl Hooper's!

That said, this is a 20/20 thread, and what a batsman he is at this form of the game....
:cool:

kingkallis

International Coach
Does anybody have the link of that 127 meter long six of Albie Morkel? I think Schofield was the bowler...

inbox24

International Debutant
Man, Australia are so freakin crap at T20 because they won't change their mentality. We're so inhibited by our old ODI game plans back to the time when we had Hayden and Gilchrist at the top of the order who could blast from ball one. There's no real sense of urgency with the scoring or aim to take bowlers apart and a complacency that 150-160 scores are enough.

If you're gonna bat Hopes at 10 you might as well go into the game with just ten men. Obviously his place in the team is a result of the selectors not being able to make a proper decision and do their jobs. They only want him there as an insurance against collapse as they certainly don't rate his hitting capabilities. When the hell did we become so damn defensive? I guess India were right last year when they said we were defensive, stacking the batting to further compromise an ineffective bowling unit.

Whilst this is only T20, such backward mentalities will eventually ruin our test and ODI lineups, if it already hasn't (e.g. McDonald, White test selections).

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
What was the odds before the tournament started of BOTH England and Australia being knocked out in the group stage?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top guy, that Brett Lee :happy:
Yeah well, he should be used to it frankly (getting belted).

Still shows absolutely nowt in English conditions. Shouldn't play ahead of Siddle in the Ashes

Very entertaining hitting from Gayle et al though. Thought Warner did a good job for us as well.

Any explanation why Johnson was so down on pace?

Uppercut

Yeah well, he should be used to it frankly (getting belted).

Still shows absolutely nowt in English conditions. Shouldn't play ahead of Siddle in the Ashes
To be fair to him, the white ball's not swinging for anyone, anytime at the moment. Would take Siddle every single time nevertheless.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Shouldn't play ahead of Haddin either. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the team. :p

Should he play ahead of Hilfenhaus, Hauritz and McDonald? That's the real issue. Siddle's in regardless.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
was on my way to the india game so missed the aus match, sounds like it was absolute carnage, can't wait to see the highlights. Incidently last time johnson and lee opened in a t20 against the windies they were similarly pasted, perhaps it's time to start reading the signs? If Sri Lanka beat the Windies things going to get very interesting, Aus will probably have to hammer Sri Lanka to get through.

Top_Cat

Well, you just had to read my article about Aus before the tournament I didn't think much of their chances so this result didn't surprise one bit. The Aussies are still treating it as a slogfest; witness Haddin and Clarke's backing away to slog over cover and a heap of airly swishes outside off. Someone should mention T20 tactics have evolved past that last-over rubbish (not that they'd listen). I don't think even one of the Aussies picked Taylor's slower balls and, even though the WI gifted the Aussies their first few boundaries with shocking fielding, they still struggled top score in between. Warner looked good, I thought; at least he didn't look out of his depth. Watto and Clarkes' dismissals, soft as butter with Haddin's not much better but at least he got some runs and looked in reasonable nick. The less said about the bowling, the better, other than that it was entirely predictable shyte.

The WI were great, the bowling particularly so. Taylor and Edwards are going to win the WI the whole thing if they keep that up and the supports step up a little more.

Basically, the Aussies picked the wrong squad of the wrong players with the wrong mentality and experience/form for this format. And it shows.

Briony

International Debutant
What was the odds before the tournament started of BOTH England and Australia being knocked out in the group stage?
That's still contingent on the unpredictable SL and Pakistan beating them.

Has Gayle really underachieved at test level?

Warner's also good at this form of the game but do people think he might average over forty at test level?

Remember Gayle's footwork is limited to non-existent at times and playing on pitches where the ball moves around and with fields that are set for wicket-taking is a bit different than the super hit and giggle format of the game.

Why do people extrapolate?

Redbacks

International Captain
Basically, the Aussies picked the wrong squad of the wrong players with the wrong mentality and experience/form for this format. And it shows.
We've done what some accuse England of: picking the captain (and vice) before picking the best XI. Perhaps the set quantity of 25 contracts is influencing rational selection policy?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's still contingent on the unpredictable SL and Pakistan beating them.

Has Gayle really underachieved at test level?

Warner's also good at this form of the game but do people think he might average over forty at test level?

Remember Gayle's footwork is limited to non-existent at times and playing on pitches where the ball moves around and with fields that are set for wicket-taking is a bit different than the super hit and giggle format of the game.

Why do people extrapolate?
No, he's just not a particularly great Test player.

See also: Ganguly, Sourav, Knight, Nick, Bevan, Michael.

Burgey

Shouldn't play ahead of Haddin either. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the team. :p

Should be play ahead of Hilfenhaus, Hauritz and McDonald? That's the real issue. Siddle's in regardless.
Think Clark should be ahead of Siddle, who should be ahead of Lee.

Johnson, Clark, Siddle for the quicks imo.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Aussies will struggle because of not having a quality spinner in their team. I believe a spinner could have done better against Gayle in full flow and also their attack is very one dimensional. Even if Lee and Johnson bowl well the opponents can wait for the rest to smash. The Srilanka match could well be a struggle against M&M.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Aussies will struggle because of not having a quality spinner in their team. I believe a spinner could have done better against Gayle in full flow and also their attack is very one dimensional. Even if Lee and Johnson bowl well the opponents can wait for the rest to smash. The Srilanka match could well be a struggle against M&M.
I concur that.

Playing T20 without a front-line spinner is always a mistake,IMO.

Australia doesn't look like anywhere near thrashing SL, but they'll have to do it, or just hope WI beat SL.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Can we just opt out of any T20 tournaments from now on? The team obviously doesn't care, and I'd prefer they rest and practice for proper cricket anyway...