• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I feel a bit sorry for the West Indies.

They're crap but are better than Bangladesh and should've been given their spot in India's group imo.

cricket_village

Cricket Spectator
I think a very competitive group with lost of excitement. I will go for Sri Lanka and West Indies. Since Australians are not focussing on twenty20 world cup, their main aim is to retain Ashes. So i will go with Sri Lanka and West Indies to qualify for the Super Eight Stage.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Exactly, our shocking performance in the last 20/20 World Cup is the reason we are in this group.

Our decent 20-20 performances since that event have been completely ignored even though we have won matches against England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

I'm not convinced that is the right system because it basically means 20/20 internationals outside of this event are exhibition matches only.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Than they should have beaten Bangladesh in the Last World T20's.
That's only 1 game though.

You can't decide how good a team someone is on 1 game.

If Everton were to beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final- would they be a better team, or just better on that day?

Bangladesh are just a hopeless team and India have been dealt an easy group.

Our decent 20-20 performances since that event have been completely ignored even though we have won matches against England, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

I'm not convinced that is the right system because it basically means 20/20 internationals outside of this event are exhibition matches only.
Exactly, world ranking doesn't work on just 1 event so why do the group seeds?

Strange.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Than they should have beaten Bangladesh in the Last World T20's.
Indeed. You can't feel sorry for the Windies. It is their fault they are in this group; they should have won a game in the last WC. Had a great chance as well, they did score over 200 against South Africa and still couldn’t defend it.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
And since then we have been pretty damn good at 20-20. Certainly far better than England, Bangladesh etc, and probably on a par with NZ.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Does just one team from each group go forward? Or is there a second round of 8 teams? Can't remember. If it's 2 I'd pick Aus and SL, but Windies could easily upset either side. Seems silly to have such a strong group when you have India, Bangladesh & Ireland in another.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Does just one team from each group go forward? Or is there a second round of 8 teams? Can't remember. If it's 2 I'd pick Aus and SL, but Windies could easily upset either side. Seems silly to have such a strong group when you have India, Bangladesh & Ireland in another.
The top 2 from each of the groups go into 2 seperate groups of 4, then the top 2 of the 2 new groups play the semi finals and then India beat South Africa by 5 runs in the final.

Group Standings | ICC World Twenty20 2009

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Cheers, had totally forgotten last time's format, so much better than a round robin in the second round, I've heard that somewhere in Nevis (or maybe the Leeward Isles) the last WC is still going on...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBH I reckon West Indies are a better Twenty20 side then us. Reckon it going to be pretty tough getting out of this group if our batsmen don't learn how to bat in this format. A lot of pressure will be on Dilshan and Jayasuriya. Bowling wise we will be tough to score off. Malinga, Murali, Thurshara, Mendis and Maharoof is pretty good attack for mine.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dwayne Smith should seriously reconsider his Kolpak status, the way he's hitting it he'd be a shoe in for the WI T20 squad. Still don't really get how some players are so quick to give up on their dreams, you'd think choosing a career as a professional sportsmen they wouldn't be risk averse people.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Dwayne Smith should seriously reconsider his Kolpak status, the way he's hitting it he'd be a shoe in for the WI T20 squad. Still don't really get how some players are so quick to give up on their dreams, you'd think choosing a career as a professional sportsmen they wouldn't be risk averse people.
But beyond that, where does he go? I can't see him becoming a permanent fixture in the ODI side, so why give up a (presumably) lucrative deal for a county side for less than ten games a year?

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
But beyond that, where does he go? I can't see him becoming a permanent fixture in the ODI side, so why give up a (presumably) lucrative deal for a county side for less than ten games a year?
I suppose it's a question of how good does Dwayne Smith think he is? Bear in mind T20 internationals are probably going to seriously increase in number after this tournament. I think he's got a fair shot at the ODI side, especially if Kieron Pollard continues to fail with the bat. Himself and Bravo could form a potent lower middle order, his electric fielding would help his case too.

shivfan

Banned
Dwayne Smith did pretty well at the four-day game for Barbados too, and could easily be in for a recall to the WI side for the longer form of the game. Hey, if Ryan Hinds and Devon Smith could be recalled, so could Dwayne!
:ph34r:
He's only 25, after all....

But the feeling is that a county contract is more lucrative than a WI contract now. This Kolpak situation is really hurting teams like the WI. I really hope it's sorted out soon....

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
TBH I reckon West Indies are a better Twenty20 side then us. Reckon it going to be pretty tough getting out of this group if our batsmen don't learn how to bat in this format. A lot of pressure will be on Dilshan and Jayasuriya. Bowling wise we will be tough to score off. Malinga, Murali, Thurshara, Mendis and Maharoof is pretty good attack for mine.
I disagree.

I fancy you to beat the W.Indies convincingly and maybe even upset Australia if everything clicks. The Aussie bowling ain't great and I wouldn't fancy coming up against a top 5 as:

Jayasuriya
Tharanga
Sangakarra
Jayawardene
Dilshan

and a main quartet of bowling like so:

Malinga
Maharoof
Mendis
Murali

If even half of those are on form.

It swings over here and if Malinga is hitting 140-145kph I can see him being the top wicket taker IAH.