• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, Bangladesh, Ireland

stumpski

International Captain
Pathetic running there. Expect he'll be getting the hairdryer in the dressing room.

Yeah, he was two feet, at least, over the line when the wicket was broken but both bat and foot were off the ground! "Diabolical running" said Hussain, and I think he was right. You have to ground your bat, that's basic stuff ...

Though I think that in the pre-replay era he'd have been given 'in' more often than not.

R_D

International Debutant
Yeah.. need to sort out the death bowling.... Irfan is really going to get murdered against good team.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No Indian fan should be happy with that effort. They should not have made 100 after how well we were going early.

****ing hell.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Glad Dermot Reeve brought up them not trying a second run there. Even if you've only got a long shot of getting home it's worth trying it at least.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This should be an easy win for the Indians now. The batting is in good hands, but there's danger around the corner with a non-regular opening combination. In case of an early wicket, Raina should be out there, and there may be a place for Karthik.

The final overs still remains a cause for concern. They should look at what went wrong (more length balls, slow half-trackers) there, and possible solutions, although the bowling order should be revised. Spinners (particularly straight-and-slow Yusuf) should be used in the final overs, when they're doing well. It's anyway a tough choice, given that all of Irfan, Ishant and Harbhajan went for loads of runs in the close of the innings, so it's just the methods that need to change

They still don't know what to do with Yusuf. Last time, he just played one delivery and stayed at the other end, though he got three overs. This time, he's had nothing to do bar two catches in slips. The fielding is largely good, but some lapses have proven very costly- like Ishant giving up a chase, Ishant parrying a ball to the boundary and that Raina/Ojha mix-up that squandered a run-out chance.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma completes a fifty. Raina and Yusuf didn't bat, while Yuvraj only played four deliveries of the match. Exactly two batsmen had nothing to do.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good batting effort. India just need to get their pace death bowling right in the next stage, because both Bangladesh and Ireland took far too many runs from them.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Glad to see botha given a go anyway, he's a very handy player with both bat and ball. I'm pretty surprised he didnt play against bangladesh.

Botha>>>>Mooney>>>>Wilson IMO.
Gary Wilson's an interesting one. He's one of our players with a county contract, but nothing I've seen has suggested he's better than some of the players who don't. But he keeps on getting picked, so there has to be something there. In any case, Twenty20 isn't his format. The only players we have who 20 overs actually suits are the O'Brien brothers (Morgan was ideal for the format in theory, but obviously he left).

Ireland are resting players? Wow.

You'd think exposure to intl class players would be an incentive to play. How often to they get to play on such a stage?
I'm quite happy with that tbh. Looking at a game like this as "it'll be good to get some experience against world-class players" would be completely against all that has got the team this far. It's entirely reasonable to expect that we won't win a game again this tournament, but i don't want the team to be thinking like that. We're not here to make up the numbers, get some experience, learn a few things then go home. We genuinely want to win every game and get as far as we can.

I am, however, very surprised Peter Connell is the one player who hasn't got a game. He's been absolutely fantastic for us over the past year.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bad bowling at the end by India here. They need to improve that quite a bit. You can't bowl like that and expect to defend the world cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm quite happy with that tbh. Looking at a game like this as "it'll be good to get some experience against world-class players" would be completely against all that has got the team this far. It's entirely reasonable to expect that we won't win a game again this tournament, but i don't want the team to be thinking like that. We're not here to make up the numbers, get some experience, learn a few things then go home. We genuinely want to win every game and get as far as we can.
My point is its not their best way to go far in this tournament.

Better off learning how to play the spin or Harbhajan and Ojha, swing in the early overs from Zaheer and how to bowl to Dhoni and Yuvraj when they're going strong in a game where there is not much on the line.

You don't get tired from 20 overs FFS. The objective behind the thinking may be right, but it isn't the best way to be successful.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Better off learning how to play the spin or Harbhajan and Ojha, swing in the early overs from Zaheer and how to bowl to Dhoni and Yuvraj when they're going strong in a game where there is not much on the line.

You don't get tired from 20 overs FFS. The objective behind the thinking may be right, but it isn't the best way to be successful.
The only player I thought was being genuinely rested to prevent burnout was Bray, and he ended up playing anyway.

O'Brien's quite seriously injured; he might not even play tonight. Johnston had an injury that he could have played with, but also could have aggrevated it by doing so so leaving him out was fair enough in the end.

Uppercut

Hmm fair point, not sure I agree but okay.

In any case, they only rested a few players with injuries.

Uppercut

The only player I thought was being genuinely rested to prevent burnout was Bray, and he ended up playing anyway.

O'Brien's quite seriously injured; he might not even play tonight. Johnston had an injury that he could have played with, but also could have aggrevated it by doing so so leaving him out was fair enough in the end.
I think O'Brien will play, but Wilson will probably keep. He hit a fantastic knock while crocked on Monday so he's probably as good an option as we have even if he only has one leg.