Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A pessimistic look at Australia's WC chances

A pessimistic look at Australia's WC chances

Honestly, with the side that was picked I'd be very surprised if Australia got anywhere near the semis.

Warner - Tends to get bogged down and gets himself out after quick starts
    Watson - best player in the side but injury concerns
    Ponting - Has never done anything in the format. Not sure he cares too much.
    Clarke - the less said the better. Starting to see why no IPL clubs were prepared to pay very much for him
    M Hussey - I think he'll do well.
    Symonds - massive form questions
    Haddin - Depends on the day really, can be a big hitter but also gets bogged down. I recall a few situations in the last WC where he looked absolutely lost. Better up the order.
    Lee - coming back from injury, if he can't get his pace up could be a very easy target
    Johnson - all class
    Siddle - will do well
    Bracken - little form, hasn't really adapted to the format

D Hussey - great T20 player but has become a rabbit in the headlights in int. level.
    Hopes - One of the worst T20 players in the world. Offers nothing with bat or ball.
    Hilfenhaus - crap limited overs bowler. How he got the nod over Nannes continues to astounds me.
    Hauritz - Hasn't played very many T20s, can see him going for plenty.

Bit of an extreme rant, but if we do well it'll be because of one or two batsmen having amazing runs, not a team effort. Compare it to India who have a team full of batting superstars. The thing that really makes it frustrating is we have so many players ripping it up over the past two years in the IPL yet because of selection philosophy/injury/retirements we're left with this.

Wondering if anyone else that has watched a substantial amount of these players in Twenty20s has any opposing thoughts?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I'd argue that D. Hussey was looking out of his depth in ODIs, but at the same time still smoked them in the international Twenty20 in South Africa.

Think you've jumped the gun a tad on Warner, who didn't bat naturally after his first big innings at the 'G. He's got the capability of regularly scoring at a S/R greater than 150, which I don't think anyone else in the side has.

Has Ponting made a run in Twenty20 since that game against NZ when the Kiwis wore the retro outfits?

Banned
    Warner is the key to Australian success. I would pay out of my nose to bring back Hayden. A bit of persuasion can still bring him in. Ponting, Clarke are big names but add no value to T20. I would reckon Australia to struggle to reach the Last 4.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Honestly, with the side that was picked I'd be very surprised if Australia got anywhere near the semis.

Warner - Tends to get bogged down and gets himself out after quick starts
    Watson - best player in the side but injury concerns
    Ponting - Has never done anything in the format. Not sure he cares too much.
    Clarke - the less said the better. Starting to see why no IPL clubs were prepared to pay very much for him
    M Hussey - I think he'll do well.
    Symonds - massive form questions
    Haddin - Depends on the day really, can be a big hitter but also gets bogged down. I recall a few situations in the last WC where he looked absolutely lost. Better up the order.
    Lee - coming back from injury, if he can't get his pace up could be a very easy target
    Johnson - all class
    Siddle - will do well
    Bracken - little form, hasn't really adapted to the format

D Hussey - great T20 player but has become a rabbit in the headlights in int. level.
    Hopes - One of the worst T20 players in the world. Offers nothing with bat or ball.
    Hilfenhaus - crap limited overs bowler. How he got the nod over Nannes continues to astounds me.
    Hauritz - Hasn't played very many T20s, can see him going for plenty.

Bit of an extreme rant, but if we do well it'll be because of one or two batsmen having amazing runs, not a team effort. Compare it to India who have a team full of batting superstars. The thing that really makes it frustrating is we have so many players ripping it up over the past two years in the IPL yet because of selection philosophy/injury/retirements we're left with this.

Wondering if anyone else that has watched a substantial amount of these players in Twenty20s has any opposing thoughts?
    All legitimate worries. But at the same time, i'd back them to step up TBH. Especially seeing Lee bowling fast still on return, i think AUS having 3 150 K bowlers will make a HUGE difference in the WC.

Disagree slightly on Hopes, his bowling is no doubt a weak point. But his batting surely will be useful in this format, remember him smokin it in the IPL last year.

A bit harsh on Hilfenhaus. Seems a good death bowler, but yea seeing Nannes in the IPL with Tait no fit. I would have picked him instead.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I'd argue that D. Hussey was looking out of his depth in ODIs, but at the same time still smoked them in the international Twenty20 in South Africa.

Think you've jumped the gun a tad on Warner, who didn't bat naturally after his first big innings at the 'G. He's got the capability of regularly scoring at a S/R greater than 150, which I don't think anyone else in the side has.

Has Ponting made a run in Twenty20 since that game against NZ when the Kiwis wore the retro outfits?
    Ponting hasn't been that bad in International T20s imo (has made a couple 30/40s of late), but his first innings was still obviously his best to date.

EDIT: Just looked up his record to date - it's not awesome, but decent enough.

Ponting in T20I's
    Last edited by Johnners; 07-05-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    I love it how Aussies have to go really in depth to prove why they might lose, for some of us its just so easy. All we have to say is "We're ****ing New Zealand/England/West Indies/someone"
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Using non retired players this is our best team:

Phil Hughes
    David Warner
    Shane Watson
    Brad Haddin (wk/c)
    Andrew Symonds
    David Hussey
    Callum Ferguson
    Mitchell Johnson
    Brett Lee
    Peter Siddle
    Nathan Bracken

This would own most teams. Swap out Bracken for a wicket taker like Harwood or Nannes, if things don't go well.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Using non retired players this is our best team:

Phil Hughes
    David Warner
    Shane Watson
    Brad Haddin (wk/c)
    Andrew Symonds
    David Hussey
    Callum Ferguson
    Mitchell Johnson
    Brett Lee
    Peter Siddle
    Nathan Bracken

This would own most teams. Swap out Bracken for a wicket taker like Harwood or Nannes, if things don't go well.
    Except SA, Ind, Pakistan, and possibly NZ.

Except SA and Ind.

Banned
    Except SA and Ind.
    Australia have never beat Pakistan ever in a T20.

So what?

Banned
    So what?
    Even with Gilchrist and Hayden in the side, they could not. Even recently they could not. So Pakistan are clear favorites in T20s against Australia.

Are you serious Precamb? They played one game against each other. So what? India haven't won the ODI WC this century, and thus are clearly favourites to not win it for the rest of this century?

Banned
    Are you serious Precamb? They played one game against each other. So what? India haven't won the ODI WC this century, and thus are clearly favourites to not win it for the rest of this century?
    Who is Precamb?

Nevertheless, they have played each other twice. And twice Pakistan won. India's chances of winning WC is irrelevant here. (Although I would agree to that!) I would back Pakistan, India and SA to prevail over Australia in T20s anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheobe View Post
    Australia have never beat Pakistan ever in a T20.
    Never won against Zimbabwe aswell. Zimbabwe might be the next world 20/20 champions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus