• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A pessimistic look at Australia's WC chances

pasag

RTDAS
Honestly, with the side that was picked I'd be very surprised if Australia got anywhere near the semis.

Warner - Tends to get bogged down and gets himself out after quick starts
Watson - best player in the side but injury concerns
Ponting - Has never done anything in the format. Not sure he cares too much.
Clarke - the less said the better. Starting to see why no IPL clubs were prepared to pay very much for him
M Hussey - I think he'll do well.
Symonds - massive form questions
Haddin - Depends on the day really, can be a big hitter but also gets bogged down. I recall a few situations in the last WC where he looked absolutely lost. Better up the order.
Lee - coming back from injury, if he can't get his pace up could be a very easy target
Johnson - all class
Siddle - will do well
Bracken - little form, hasn't really adapted to the format

D Hussey - great T20 player but has become a rabbit in the headlights in int. level.
Hopes - One of the worst T20 players in the world. Offers nothing with bat or ball.
Hilfenhaus - crap limited overs bowler. How he got the nod over Nannes continues to astounds me.
Hauritz - Hasn't played very many T20s, can see him going for plenty.

Bit of an extreme rant, but if we do well it'll be because of one or two batsmen having amazing runs, not a team effort. Compare it to India who have a team full of batting superstars. The thing that really makes it frustrating is we have so many players ripping it up over the past two years in the IPL yet because of selection philosophy/injury/retirements we're left with this.

Wondering if anyone else that has watched a substantial amount of these players in Twenty20s has any opposing thoughts?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd argue that D. Hussey was looking out of his depth in ODIs, but at the same time still smoked them in the international Twenty20 in South Africa.

Think you've jumped the gun a tad on Warner, who didn't bat naturally after his first big innings at the 'G. He's got the capability of regularly scoring at a S/R greater than 150, which I don't think anyone else in the side has.

Has Ponting made a run in Twenty20 since that game against NZ when the Kiwis wore the retro outfits?

Pheobe

Banned
Warner is the key to Australian success. I would pay out of my nose to bring back Hayden. A bit of persuasion can still bring him in. Ponting, Clarke are big names but add no value to T20. I would reckon Australia to struggle to reach the Last 4.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, with the side that was picked I'd be very surprised if Australia got anywhere near the semis.

Warner - Tends to get bogged down and gets himself out after quick starts
Watson - best player in the side but injury concerns
Ponting - Has never done anything in the format. Not sure he cares too much.
Clarke - the less said the better. Starting to see why no IPL clubs were prepared to pay very much for him
M Hussey - I think he'll do well.
Symonds - massive form questions
Haddin - Depends on the day really, can be a big hitter but also gets bogged down. I recall a few situations in the last WC where he looked absolutely lost. Better up the order.
Lee - coming back from injury, if he can't get his pace up could be a very easy target
Johnson - all class
Siddle - will do well
Bracken - little form, hasn't really adapted to the format

D Hussey - great T20 player but has become a rabbit in the headlights in int. level.
Hopes - One of the worst T20 players in the world. Offers nothing with bat or ball.
Hilfenhaus - crap limited overs bowler. How he got the nod over Nannes continues to astounds me.
Hauritz - Hasn't played very many T20s, can see him going for plenty.

Bit of an extreme rant, but if we do well it'll be because of one or two batsmen having amazing runs, not a team effort. Compare it to India who have a team full of batting superstars. The thing that really makes it frustrating is we have so many players ripping it up over the past two years in the IPL yet because of selection philosophy/injury/retirements we're left with this.

Wondering if anyone else that has watched a substantial amount of these players in Twenty20s has any opposing thoughts?
All legitimate worries. But at the same time, i'd back them to step up TBH. Especially seeing Lee bowling fast still on return, i think AUS having 3 150 K bowlers will make a HUGE difference in the WC.

Disagree slightly on Hopes, his bowling is no doubt a weak point. But his batting surely will be useful in this format, remember him smokin it in the IPL last year.

A bit harsh on Hilfenhaus. Seems a good death bowler, but yea seeing Nannes in the IPL with Tait no fit. I would have picked him instead.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd argue that D. Hussey was looking out of his depth in ODIs, but at the same time still smoked them in the international Twenty20 in South Africa.

Think you've jumped the gun a tad on Warner, who didn't bat naturally after his first big innings at the 'G. He's got the capability of regularly scoring at a S/R greater than 150, which I don't think anyone else in the side has.

Has Ponting made a run in Twenty20 since that game against NZ when the Kiwis wore the retro outfits?
Ponting hasn't been that bad in International T20s imo (has made a couple 30/40s of late), but his first innings was still obviously his best to date.

EDIT: Just looked up his record to date - it's not awesome, but decent enough.

Ponting in T20I's

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I love it how Aussies have to go really in depth to prove why they might lose, for some of us its just so easy. All we have to say is "We're ****ing New Zealand/England/West Indies/someone":laugh:

inbox24

International Debutant
Using non retired players this is our best team:

Phil Hughes
David Warner
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk/c)
Andrew Symonds
David Hussey
Callum Ferguson
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Peter Siddle
Nathan Bracken

This would own most teams. Swap out Bracken for a wicket taker like Harwood or Nannes, if things don't go well.

Pheobe

Banned
Using non retired players this is our best team:

Phil Hughes
David Warner
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (wk/c)
Andrew Symonds
David Hussey
Callum Ferguson
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Lee
Peter Siddle
Nathan Bracken

This would own most teams. Swap out Bracken for a wicket taker like Harwood or Nannes, if things don't go well.
Except SA, Ind, Pakistan, and possibly NZ.

inbox24

International Debutant
Are you serious Precamb? They played one game against each other. So what? India haven't won the ODI WC this century, and thus are clearly favourites to not win it for the rest of this century?

Pheobe

Banned
Are you serious Precamb? They played one game against each other. So what? India haven't won the ODI WC this century, and thus are clearly favourites to not win it for the rest of this century?
Who is Precamb?

Nevertheless, they have played each other twice. And twice Pakistan won. India's chances of winning WC is irrelevant here. (Although I would agree to that!) I would back Pakistan, India and SA to prevail over Australia in T20s anyday.

jondavluc

State Regular
No I'm serious Zimbabwe are clearly are a better team than Australia .We haven't won against them so that is the only logical conclusion .Have a look at the records you will be amazed at our shocking record .8-) Anyways you're blocked Pheobe.

Pheobe

Banned
No I'm serious Zimbabwe are clearly are a better team than Australia .We haven't won against them so that is the only logical conclusion .Have a look at the records you will be amazed at our shocking record .8-) Anyways you're blocked Pheobe.
I wish instead of inane counter arguments (if those can be called arguments) like these, you could tell me why Australia has a chance over Pakistan in T20s.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should bring Hayden out of retirement for the tournament.

Can't see us doing too well tbh. We're a fair way behind in this format.