Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A pessimistic look at Australia's WC chances

well i think Australia 'll do better
    no doubt anyone can win it cuz it's a twenty20 tournament
    Pakistan picked a stupid side, yet i'm hoping for victory this time
    Australia has a better side than us, so y Australians are so depressed?

The fact is only India has picked their best side, others didn't, but still this time India has no chance
    i always say, last time we lost it, rather than India winning it, & same thing Australia did in semi final against India
    if Australia had won it, they would 've beaten us too in the final

Quote Originally Posted by Naumaan View Post
    well i think Australia 'll do better
    no doubt anyone can win it cuz it's a twenty20 tournament
    Pakistan picked a stupid side, yet i'm hoping for victory this time
    Australia has a better side than us, so y Australians are so depressed?

The fact is only India has picked their best side, others didn't, but still this time India has no chance
    i always say, last time we lost it, rather than India winning it, & same thing Australia did in semi final against India
    if Australia had won it, they would 've beaten us too in the final

What makes you say that India have no chance? With the recent form and kind of batting strength on paper atleast, they are easily one of the top four sides to win this competition. Regarding your point on pakistan losing it rather than India winning it, guess one team had to choke in a pressure situation and your guys did it and Australia did it too in the semis. Remember the same side made you choke even in the group stage. Now judge it by yourself.

Very hard to predict in 20-20. Pakistan are definitely a potent side. However i doubt still on Srilanka's ability with the bat in the English conditions. They got a very good bowling unit. New zealand could be the Dark Horses of the tournament. Australia have to improve to be called a great 20/20 line-up. South Africa are a good side, again not great. So most teams are evenly matched and have a chance to win. Only team i think which has no chance is England and probably the minnows.

Hate to say I told you so...
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Is Hughes injured then? Was looking forward to seeing him bat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Hughes isn't in the ODI or T20 squad. He's yet to really shine in OD cricket.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Hughes averages 40ish or thereabouts in domestic T20s if I am not mistaken. We could certainly replace Clarke and possibly Ponting with Hughes and Ferguson respectively, a decision made even easier by the departure of Symonds. Brad Hodge should be in the squad to replace Hopes. Time to take a leaf out of India's book.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Hughes averages 40ish or thereabouts in domestic T20s if I am not mistaken. We could certainly replace Clarke and possibly Ponting with Hughes and Ferguson respectively, a decision made even easier by the departure of Symonds. Brad Hodge should be in the squad to replace Hopes. Time to take a leaf out of India's book.

- Dont think Hughes would offer much more than Warner in T20s.

- Clarke no doubt be should replaced by Hodge.

- Ponting can play T20s, but the fact that given AUS ridiculous schedule in the last 4 years - leaving them to miss T20 or when they play them they are basically treated as exhibiton matches.

- Dont think Ferguson game suits T20, he would be another Clarke really.

The prob with Australia's batting in this tournament compared to IND & SA. Is the unlike them we don't have a top 7 of batsmen who can truly get moving from ball one. Losing Marsh, Symo was a huge blow & the selectors not picking Hodge obviously was idiotic.

Ferguson is one our best limited overs finishers. He's like a neo Hussey. Hughes is a better bat than both Clarke and Marsh.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Australia needs to do what India did in the last world cup. Get in the youngsters. No one knew Rohit Sharma before the last world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Hate to say I told you so...
    I don't think there is many here who are arguing with you when it comes to the side being badly picked so I don't see why you would need to say I told you so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Which youngsters? Honestly Australia have to pick the right people, as the IPL showed, regardless of age. One of the younger players in the team, Michael Clarke is rubbish. Here's a team of Australians over 30s still playing T20 cricket that would have been equal (or near) favourites for the tournament, imo.

Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Hodge
    Carseldine
    Symonds
    Hussey
    Hussey
    Warne
    Nannes
    Harwood
    McGrath/Lee

Which youngsters? Honestly Australia have to pick the right people, as the IPL showed, regardless of age. One of the younger players in the team, Michael Clarke is rubbish. Here's a team of Australians over 30s still playing T20 cricket that would have been equal (or near) favourites for the tournament, imo.

Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Hodge
    Carseldine
    Symonds
    Hussey
    Hussey
    Warne
    Nannes
    Harwood
    McGrath/Lee
    Yeah top team that. All of em either have a proven track record in the IPL or the Big Bash (except Lee). That middle order is loads betta than Ponting, Clarke, Haddin, Hopes etc.

Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Hodge
    Carseldine
    Symonds
    Hussey
    Hussey
    Warne
    Nannes
    Harwood
    McGrath/Lee
    Its not really AUS fault Gilly, Hayden, Warne cant play really. Thats just how it is...

Not really sure Pigeon would really make sense in this format either at this age, why esle would the Delhi Daredevils called up Nannes in the IPL this year.

Really dont think Harwood would make that much of a difference in this format other than bowlers in the T20 squad other than Hilfenhaus, based on the T20 internationals i've seen him in TBH.

Carselidne have seen him in the IPL, looks a hitter no doubt - so i guess he would go better than Pup.

The problem with the players available to AUS is that in a T20 looking at IND & SA - is the lack of a spinner. Before this tournament i was of the strong belief AUS having Lee, Johnson, Siddle who can bow @ 145 would be the difference againts strong batting-sides. But clearly, such an attack becomes VERY one-dimentional if you dont have some spinners to give the attack some variety.

Ferguson is one our best limited overs finishers. He's like a neo Hussey.
    Not in the ODI career so far no. He can finish yea, but he aint a six hitter. Ferguson would score 50 of 40 balls with 4/5 boundaries or something...

Hughes is a better bat than both Clarke and Marsh.
    I was comparing Hughes as a possible T20 opening option to Marsh & Warner which ATM he probably won't offer much of difference to those two in that format.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Its not really AUS fault Gilly, Hayden, Warne cant play really. Thats just how it is...
    Not my point.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information