Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ireland Discussion Thread

Ireland Discussion Thread

Squad: William Porterfield (capt), Andre Botha, Jeremy Bray, Peter Connell, Alex Cusack, Trent Johnston, Kyle McCallan, John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien (wk), Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Regan West, Andrew White, Gary Wilson.

Only changes from the group that won the World Cup qualifiers are Bray and Stirling in for Poynter and... Morgan. Morgan's obviously a big loss, but Bray's return is as a boost, as is Botha's from injury (even though he's not going to bowl in the tournament).

I'm pretty surprised that Ireland actually managed to get in a group with Bangladesh.. are they actually ranked somewhere above the West Indies or Sri Lanka in Twenty20 cricket or something? Anyway, I'm really hoping the boys can get up in that game after some of the debates I've had on here. It'd obviously prove extremely little, win or lose, but it'd be a sweet victory if they got up anyway.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-05-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Shoud be part of the England team IMO
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Shoud be part of the England team IMO
    Yeah, McCallan could open the bowling with Swann.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Good to see Wordsy (Bray) back in there. Hopefully can get them off to a couple of fliers.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Thought Bray had knocked it on the head?

Anyway, what's this:

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I'm really hoping the boys can get up
    all about? Prince O'EWS now, is it?
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Anyway, what's this:

Well, it is the Ireland discussion thread, so I thought "the boys" was a fair enough thing to say. I explained why I'm hoping they win that particular game in the first post.

I'll admit I've had a particularly large soft spot for Ireland since I won a bundle on them beating Pakistan in the World Cup, though. 'Twas certainly one of my better days and I've followed their progress since.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-05-2009 at 07:32 AM.

He came out of retirement not long ago.

Scored 40 odd the other day in the FP too.

Anyway, what's this:

Bray quit Irish cricket, after pay dispute. He was over in Australia the past two southern-hemisphere summers, playing at my club, with a view of moving over here for good. However, few issues arose back in Ireland, and so it looks like he'll stay there.

With the knowledge that he'll be in Ireland for a while, and realising that you can't play cricket forever, probably mended a few fences.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I'm pretty surprised that Ireland actually managed to get in a group with Bangladesh.. are they actually ranked somewhere above the West Indies or Sri Lanka in Twenty20 cricket or something?
    They based the groups on the last World Twenty20 results. That was

India
    Pakistan
    Australia
    NZ
    RSA
    SL
    England
    Bangladesh
    (Zimbabwe - pulled out)
    Associate 1
    West Indies
    Associate 2
    (Associate 3)

So 1 was paired with 8 and 9, 2 with 7 and 10, etc.

It's a tad stupid because

a) Associate 1 in 2007 was actually Scotland
    b) Scotland were only ahead of WI in 2007 because a game got rained off
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

I'm pretty surprised that Ireland actually managed to get in a group with Bangladesh.. are they actually ranked somewhere above the West Indies or Sri Lanka in Twenty20 cricket or something? Anyway, I'm really hoping the boys can get up in that game after some of the debates I've had on here. It'd obviously prove extremely little, win or lose, but it'd be a sweet victory if they got up anyway.

Ireland are now 2 from 2 against Bangladesh in World Cups. Migara, where are you?!

Nah look, I'm not going to pretend that it suddenly means Ireland are better than Bangladesh, but I think once again it backs up my point (well, to an extent) that there's very little difference in talent, ability and potential between the cricket of each country at the moment (certainly not anywhere close to the difference in assistance - financial and otherwise - they are given by the ICC in progressing cricket) especially given Ireland have lost their best two batsmen. Even if it is prank-cricket.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Bastards owe me $20
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Nah look, I'm not going to pretend that it suddenly means Ireland are better than Bangladesh, but I think once again it backs up my point (well, to an extent) that there's very little difference in talent, ability and potential between the cricket of each country at the moment (certainly not anywhere close to the difference in assistance - financial and otherwise - they are given by the ICC in progressing cricket) especially given Ireland have lost their best two batsmen. Even if it is prank-cricket.
    Yep, but the difference in assistance is purely because of the population and interests that exists within Bangladeshi cricket. I don't believe the ICC actually think Bangladesh players naturally have more potential than Irish.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yep, but the difference in assistance is purely because of the population and interests that exists within Bangladeshi cricket. I don't believe the ICC actually think Bangladesh players naturally have more potential than Irish.
    Yeah, I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning. The flip-side to your point is, of course, that Bangladesh have failed to put out a competitive team even with cricket being a dominant sport in the country and that with more proper international exposure, Ireland's already decent production line could be greatly enhanced - but that's actually not the point I was trying to make and would probably be best saved for another thread.

My point was that there are a few people on this forum who insist Bangladesh are far and away a better team than Ireland (so much so that one member actually claimed that Bangladesh were more compable to the West Indies than Ireland), and I simply don't believe it to be the case. I think it's pretty close at the moment, even though Bangladesh have been given every advantage available by the ICC (whether they should have or not) and Ireland keep losing their best batsmen to England. If Bangladesh hadn't been given full member status and Ireland were able to actually put out a full-strength team then I personally have little doubt that Ireland would have overtaken Bangladesh as the #1 associate by now.

Of course, one Twenty20 game doesn't go anywhere close to proving my point, but it certainly doesn't hurt it.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 08-06-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Bastards owe me $20
    They've won me plenty in the last couple of years; I'll pick up their tab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information