Thread: SA squad for WC 20/20 in England.

SA squad for WC 20/20 in England.

And the Aussie one is expected tomorrow.

I assume the funny names in parentheses are their domestic teams.

Graeme Smith (Nashua Cape Cobras, capt), Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, vice-capt), Yusuf Abdulla (Nashua Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Chevrolet Warriors), AB de Villiers (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Cape Cobras), Herschelle Gibbs (Nashua Cape Cobras), Jacques Kallis (Chevrolet Warriors), Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans), Morne Morkel (Nashua Titans), Justin Ontong (Nashua Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Robbie Peterson (Nashua Cape Cobras), Dale Steyn (Nashua Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans).

I'm surprised that Morne Morkel got picked and they've retained faith in Smith despite his abject form and Abdulla is probably selected on the back of his IPL heroics.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    And the Aussie one is expected tomorrow.

I assume the funny names in parentheses are their domestic teams.

Graeme Smith (Nashua Cape Cobras, capt), Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, vice-capt), Yusuf Abdulla (Nashua Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Chevrolet Warriors), AB de Villiers (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Cape Cobras), Herschelle Gibbs (Nashua Cape Cobras), Jacques Kallis (Chevrolet Warriors), Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans), Morne Morkel (Nashua Titans), Justin Ontong (Nashua Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Robbie Peterson (Nashua Cape Cobras), Dale Steyn (Nashua Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans).

I'm surprised that Morne Morkel got picked and they've retained faith in Smith despite his abject form and Abdulla is probably selected on the back of his IPL heroics.
    I like it, Justin Ontong (my only question mark) makes another appearance, wonder if he'll actually get to bat this time! Potentially a tournament winning side, but depends on whether some of their key players (Smith, Albie Morkel and Steyn) can recover their form by the start of the tourney. I'd expect Steyn to be one of the new ball bowlers, Albie the third seamer, Roelof and Botha the 2 spinners, the second new ball bowler is the question. Difficult to choose between Morkel, Parnell and Abdulla. Also wonder about the batting order, where will Kallis bat? I'm sure there'll be raised eyebrows in South Africa at Ntini's non-selection, but it's justified.
    Last edited by oitoitoi; 04-05-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Anyways, thread moved to right forum.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

And Abdulla before the IPL was statistically the 3rd best bowler in 20/20 cricket...

If Johan Botha doesn't get cleared, Johann Louw will be his replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    I like it, Justin Ontong (my only question mark) makes another appearance, wonder if he'll actually get to bat this time! Potentially a tournament winning side, but depends on whether some of their key players (Smith, Albie Morkel and Steyn) can recover their form by the start of the tourney. I'd expect Steyn to be one of the new ball bowlers, Albie the third seamer, Roelof and Botha the 2 spinners, the second new ball bowler is the question. Difficult to choose between Morkel, Parnell and Abdulla. Also wonder about the batting order, where will Kallis bat? I'm sure there'll be raised eyebrows in South Africa at Ntini's non-selection, but it's justified.
    No and when he was axed from the ODI side for the Kenya and Bangladesh series, no eyebrows were raised.

Ontong will be the designated drinks carry. VB van Jaarsveld is a bit unlucky given his domestic 20/20 form but he never did the business against the Aussies.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    So we're looking at?

Gibbs
    Smith
    AB
    JP
    Kallis
    A Morkel
    Boucher
    Abdulla
    Steyn
    XXXX
    XXXX
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

I think this...

Gibbs
    Smith
    AB
    JP
    Bouch
    Albie
    van der Merwe
    Botha
    Parnell
    Steyn
    Abdulla/Morne

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    I think this...

Gibbs
    Smith
    AB
    JP
    Bouch
    Albie
    van der Merwe
    Botha
    Parnell
    Steyn
    Abdulla/Morne
    Hasn't done himself any favours today. Whether he gets a game in England or not may depend to a large extent upon how he acclimatises to the English conditions and pitches.

south africa have got to be the favorites.They have a nice balanced team and most teams will find them hard to beat in T20s.

No love for Morne van Wyk?

Thread Information