• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA squad for WC 20/20 in England.

Briony

International Debutant
And the Aussie one is expected tomorrow.

I assume the funny names in parentheses are their domestic teams.

Graeme Smith (Nashua Cape Cobras, capt), Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, vice-capt), Yusuf Abdulla (Nashua Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Chevrolet Warriors), AB de Villiers (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Cape Cobras), Herschelle Gibbs (Nashua Cape Cobras), Jacques Kallis (Chevrolet Warriors), Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans), Morne Morkel (Nashua Titans), Justin Ontong (Nashua Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Robbie Peterson (Nashua Cape Cobras), Dale Steyn (Nashua Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans).

I'm surprised that Morne Morkel got picked and they've retained faith in Smith despite his abject form and Abdulla is probably selected on the back of his IPL heroics.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
And the Aussie one is expected tomorrow.

I assume the funny names in parentheses are their domestic teams.

Graeme Smith (Nashua Cape Cobras, capt), Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, vice-capt), Yusuf Abdulla (Nashua Dolphins), Mark Boucher (Chevrolet Warriors), AB de Villiers (Nashua Titans), JP Duminy (Nashua Cape Cobras), Herschelle Gibbs (Nashua Cape Cobras), Jacques Kallis (Chevrolet Warriors), Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans), Morne Morkel (Nashua Titans), Justin Ontong (Nashua Cape Cobras), Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors), Robbie Peterson (Nashua Cape Cobras), Dale Steyn (Nashua Titans), Roelof van der Merwe (Nashua Titans).

I'm surprised that Morne Morkel got picked and they've retained faith in Smith despite his abject form and Abdulla is probably selected on the back of his IPL heroics.
I like it, Justin Ontong (my only question mark) makes another appearance, wonder if he'll actually get to bat this time! Potentially a tournament winning side, but depends on whether some of their key players (Smith, Albie Morkel and Steyn) can recover their form by the start of the tourney. I'd expect Steyn to be one of the new ball bowlers, Albie the third seamer, Roelof and Botha the 2 spinners, the second new ball bowler is the question. Difficult to choose between Morkel, Parnell and Abdulla. Also wonder about the batting order, where will Kallis bat? I'm sure there'll be raised eyebrows in South Africa at Ntini's non-selection, but it's justified.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: And Abdulla before the IPL was statistically the 3rd best bowler in 20/20 cricket...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I like it, Justin Ontong (my only question mark) makes another appearance, wonder if he'll actually get to bat this time! Potentially a tournament winning side, but depends on whether some of their key players (Smith, Albie Morkel and Steyn) can recover their form by the start of the tourney. I'd expect Steyn to be one of the new ball bowlers, Albie the third seamer, Roelof and Botha the 2 spinners, the second new ball bowler is the question. Difficult to choose between Morkel, Parnell and Abdulla. Also wonder about the batting order, where will Kallis bat? I'm sure there'll be raised eyebrows in South Africa at Ntini's non-selection, but it's justified.
No and when he was axed from the ODI side for the Kenya and Bangladesh series, no eyebrows were raised.

Ontong will be the designated drinks carry. VB van Jaarsveld is a bit unlucky given his domestic 20/20 form but he never did the business against the Aussies.

Athlai

Not Terrible
So we're looking at?

Gibbs
Smith
AB
JP
Kallis
A Morkel
Boucher
Abdulla
Steyn
XXXX
XXXX

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think this...

Gibbs
Smith
AB
JP
Bouch
Albie
van der Merwe
Botha
Parnell
Steyn
Abdulla/Morne

Briony

International Debutant
I think this...

Gibbs
Smith
AB
JP
Bouch
Albie
van der Merwe
Botha
Parnell
Steyn
Abdulla/Morne
Hasn't done himself any favours today. Whether he gets a game in England or not may depend to a large extent upon how he acclimatises to the English conditions and pitches.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
south africa have got to be the favorites.They have a nice balanced team and most teams will find them hard to beat in T20s.