Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who will win it this time around ?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

    11 13.92%
  • England

    3 3.80%
  • Westindies

    7 8.86%
  • South Africa

    14 17.72%
  • Pakistan

    7 8.86%
  • India

    18 22.78%
  • New Zealand

    13 16.46%
  • Sri Lanka

    3 3.80%
  • Bangladesh

    2 2.53%
  • Others

    1 1.27%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 101

Thread: Who will win it this time around ?

  1. #16
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    If anything SA are about on par with Australia & NZ, with India ahead of those two. The only thing that might hold India back is their bowling which isn't bad, but it's nothing special but their batting'll be good enough to get them home. One of the reasons India will win is because they'll select the best team for the format, not all other sides will.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  2. #17
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,874
    Hard to look past India for me. Anyone could win it, but India are favourites.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    We're in the top 4-5 and T20 is a lottery. Only one thing is for sure, England are going to fail massively.
    In terms of winning a World Cup New Zealand don't have it in them.

    If it's a semi-final you've got a team like India, SA, Australia and so on they'll play somewhere near the top of their game - NZ don't have the quality to match it. You are not going to win with mediocrity. If it was held in WI then you might get slow rubbish to negate all the quality on show, but not here.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:


    MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

  4. #19
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #teamAthlai
    Posts
    28,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    In terms of winning a World Cup New Zealand don't have it in them.

    If it's a semi-final you've got a team like India, SA, Australia and so on they'll play somewhere near the top of their game - NZ don't have the quality to match it. You are not going to win with mediocrity. If it was held in WI then you might get slow rubbish to negate all the quality on show, but not here.
    In T20 you only need a guy like McCullum, Ryder or Taylor to score some quick runs to win a match making the difference in quality between the teams far far less than it would be in a one day match. Though I'd agree we'd hardly be favorites in an encounter against any of those sides (pending Australia's selections and form, been some shockers lately)
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society


  5. #20
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,874
    England are hardly hopeless at home. They need conditions that favour bowling because they'll have trouble setting massive totals, but if they get them I'd fancy their attack to do a good job more often than not.

    Hopefully they lose to Netherlands in the first round though.

  6. #21
    International Coach KiWiNiNjA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    10,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Heh @ the deluded NZ fans.
    You need to get some new material.

  7. #22
    McCullum, *if* he actually turns up against the top teams going full pelt and has a bit of luck is only going to get you part of the way there. His half-centuries against international sides in T20 have been a lot more sedate.

    I really can't see NZ's bowling being that economical, not in a high intensity game. In England you typically get scores of around 170-180 anyway. In a knock-out match I think NZ will be looking at chasing 200 and that'll be game over.

  8. #23
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #teamAthlai
    Posts
    28,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    McCullum, *if* he actually turns up against the top teams going full pelt and has a bit of luck is only going to get you part of the way there. His half-centuries against international sides in T20 have been a lot more sedate.

    I really can't see NZ's bowling being that economical, not in a high intensity game. In England you typically get scores of around 170-180 anyway. In a knock-out match I think NZ will be looking at chasing 200 and that'll be game over.

    Vettori is arguably the most economical T20 bowler in the world.
    NZ on average have an RPO of 7.92 bowling (that means we usually concede around 160 runs a match)

    They also have played 21 T20I (the most)
    8 of which were against Aus, SA and India
    Against these teams only their average increase to 8.19!

    (Oh Sri Lanka concedes 9.30
    England 9.04
    South Africa 8.42
    Pakistan 8.30
    WI 8.14
    Aus 7.90
    India 7.14)

    Only once have we conceded 200+ runs and that was in our first match (also the first T20I), against Australia.

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    india
    Posts
    146
    Going by that, India do look a great T20 side. Damn. I am hurt.

  10. #25
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #teamAthlai
    Posts
    28,237
    Quote Originally Posted by martin88 View Post
    Going by that, India do look a great T20 side. Damn. I am hurt.
    Though did lose 2-0 to NZ recently, dominated the last WC though, hence the great figures.

  11. #26
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swimming in the cry water of Antarctica
    Posts
    29,421
    Why are we arguing with Scaly about NZ? I don't think he'll ever stop having a chip on his shoulder after an NZer had sex with his girlfrie....stop holding his opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post

    Vettori is arguably the most economical T20 bowler in the world.
    NZ on average have an RPO of 7.92 bowling (that means we usually concede around 160 runs a match)

    They also have played 21 T20I (the most)
    8 of which were against Aus, SA and India
    Against these teams only their average increase to 8.19!

    (Oh Sri Lanka concedes 9.30
    England 9.04
    South Africa 8.42
    Pakistan 8.30
    WI 8.14
    Aus 7.90
    India 7.14)

    Only once have we conceded 200+ runs and that was in our first match (also the first T20I), against Australia.

    That's because NZ have played on typically more awkward pitches, same with West Indies. English pitches generally are high scoring but good bowlers will still get people out. The other reason is New Zealand play to a consistent, flat level. They don't raise their game or play half-heartedly so much like other sides do. That's why they're decent generally but a good performance will beat them - which will inevitably happen in a World Cup somewhere along the line.

  13. #28
    U19 Debutant cowboysfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    irving,texas
    Posts
    381
    who is the joker who voted for england?

  14. #29
    International Coach Shri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,185
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    who is the joker who voted for england?
    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/memb...tismyhero.html

    I am not stalking him btw.

  15. #30
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Remembering The Prince - 63*
    Posts
    49,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post

    Vettori is arguably the most economical T20 bowler in the world.
    NZ on average have an RPO of 7.92 bowling (that means we usually concede around 160 runs a match)

    They also have played 21 T20I (the most)
    8 of which were against Aus, SA and India
    Against these teams only their average increase to 8.19!

    (Oh Sri Lanka concedes 9.30
    England 9.04
    South Africa 8.42
    Pakistan 8.30
    WI 8.14
    Aus 7.90
    India 7.14)

    Only once have we conceded 200+ runs and that was in our first match (also the first T20I), against Australia.
    Arguably? He either is or he isn't!

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboysfan View Post
    who is the joker who voted for england?
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 02:35 AM
  2. Most dominant sports-people of all time?
    By AlanJLegend in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 13-03-2010, 08:12 AM
  3. All Time Sri Lankan Test XI
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 07:05 PM
  4. Greatest WWE Intercontinental Champion of All Time
    By masterblaster in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 20-03-2009, 08:19 AM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 07:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •