• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad announced

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Onions isn't really a good option, he doesn't play that much limited overs stuff for Durham. His attacking nature means he's usually expensive and he's fairly easy to line up and go after, similar to how someone like Anderson is not an ideal one day bowler compared to someone more awkward like Broad.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Schofield(Leg Spinner) was the best options to replace Freddie,IMO. We already have Anderson, Broad & Sidebottom as three front-line bowlers, backed up by Wright & Napier. Onions bowled well in Tests and is bowling well in the T20 cup, he sure is a better option than Bresnan. There's no point in reserving Onions for Test Cricket, when he's capable of delivering in any form of the game.
Schofield bowls way too many bad balls, and this 'natural variation' as Nasser Hussain called it, just doesn't work at International level, as the batsmen are good enough to smack the bad balls to the fence, and not lob them to fielders. Rashid's definitely the right option if they really wanted another spinner, I'd have looked elsewhere though personally, and gone for either a proper batsman as we've got enough all-rounders, so I'd have brought Trott into the team, and had him opening with Bopara.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Schofield bowls way too many bad balls, and this 'natural variation' as Nasser Hussain called it, just doesn't work at International level, as the batsmen are good enough to smack the bad balls to the fence, and not lob them to fielders. Rashid's definitely the right option if they really wanted another spinner, I'd have looked elsewhere though personally, and gone for either a proper batsman as we've got enough all-rounders, so I'd have brought Trott into the team, and had him opening with Bopara.
I disagree, Schofield is in great form this year and would have been a good option, imo.

FBU

International Debutant
Economy rates from the last 20/20 WC

6.11 - Flintoff
6.80 - Anderson
7.16 - Schofield
8.66 - Maddy
8.71 - Mascarenhas
9.68 - Broad
11.25 - Tremlett
11.71 - Collingwood
12.00 - Snape
17.00 - Kirtley

I also think Schofield would have been a good idea.

Flower mentions going in with two fast bowlers, two medium pacers and two options.
Fast bowling likely to be Broad and Napier, medium Collingwood and Mascarenhas and Swann and Pietersen to bowl spin. I wonder if they will open the bowling with KP?

King Pietersen

International Captain
I disagree, Schofield is in great form this year and would have been a good option, imo.
Hmm, the 1 match I saw him bowl in this year, he was quite lucky to pick up most of the wickets he got (all but 1 iirc). He does bowl at least 1 half tracker or full toss every over, which at International level means at least 1 boundary an over. We've got Graeme Swann, and I don't think Schofield's good enough personally. He's got a fine T20 record, but I'm not convinced he's quite good enough at International level, like Jeremy Snape and Nayan Doshi. Superb domestic T20 bowlers, but I don't think they'd succeed at International level.

I'd much rather have another batsman in the side, in Trott, as opposed to another bowling option, which with Anderson, Broad, Napier, Mascheranas, Wright, Swann, Pietersen and Collingwood isn't really needed. I think the squad's 1 batsman short, especially with Key in such poor form, so I think bringing Trott in would have been a better option.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Economy rates from the last 20/20 WC

6.11 - Flintoff
6.80 - Anderson
7.16 - Schofield
8.66 - Maddy
8.71 - Mascarenhas
9.68 - Broad
11.25 - Tremlett
11.71 - Collingwood
12.00 - Snape
17.00 - Kirtley

I also think Schofield would have been a good idea.

Flower mentions going in with two fast bowlers, two medium pacers and two options.
Fast bowling likely to be Broad and Napier, medium Collingwood and Mascarenhas and Swann and Pietersen to bowl spin. I wonder if they will open the bowling with KP?
I think Broad & Anderson will play. I'm not keen on Mascarenhas, he's very limited as far as I'm concerned. If you're winning he might not give it away but if you're losing he's not going to conjure up anything to turn things round. But I'm expecting him to play and utterly devalue Colly's bowling because you'll rarely need two mediums in a T20.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I hope Rashid and Swann both make the playing XI, expecting Anderson and Broad to both play with poorish results, Broad's got to get at least one mauling. I can't stand watching Dimi play anymore, totally one dimensional with both ball and bat, play Napier ahead of him. They could really have done with another lefty in the top order.

FBU

International Debutant
My latest line up

Bopara, Swann, Pietersen, Shah, Morgan, Collingwood, Napier, Foster, Broad, Sidebottom, Anderson.

I don't expect the last three to have any batting to do although with the 20/20 games going on at the moment on Shah, Morgan, Collingwood, Napier and Foster are short of runs.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Simon Wilde bitching about Rashid's inclusion ahead of.....Tim Bresnan!? Talented 21yr old leggie who can bat over a mediocre county pro who everyone knows (probably Bresnan included) isn't international quality. Bresnan is exactly the kind of mediocre medium fast bowler who top international batsmen will destroy to the tune 10+ an over in a T20 match (he already has been), he's not really going to get any better than that either. Rashid on the other hand is being spoken of as a future test fixture and has actually looked capable of getting international batsmen out.

The man's an idiot, also seems to forget that England lost the home test series to India in 07, 'After all, 2008 was not a great year for English cricket: a first home Test series loss in five years' that's a pretty damn big oversight for a professional journalist.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Schofield may not be the ideal option, but I would prefer 2 spinners and Rashid isnt any better. Sidebottom is gunna be the main bowler for England,IMO. So the playing XI against Netherlands should be :-

Bopara
Wright
KP
Shah
Colly
Foster
Mascarenhas
Broad
Swann
SIdebottom
Anderson

Not sure, Morgan might play in for Sidebottom/Anderson/Broad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
6 is too high Foster in international cricket. Missing Freddie has really messed up the balance. Waiting after 2moro's warm up before i predict another XI. But i worry that Wright may be chosen to open the batting any way.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
There is a possibility of Key opening with Bopara and Wright going out, because Wright didn't bowled today. May be, Wright will bat at 6 & Morgan will miss out. Tomorrow's game may sort things out.

Balance is really ****ed up now.

chris jones

Cricket Spectator
Whatever team Eng has , i dont think they can win the cup.

It may be their badluck i dont know but they never even come closer to win the cup.

PersonaIly want to see them winning the cup and i wish them to do so.