• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dirk Nannes

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Help me out on this - To play for a country where you do not live, you must reside in that country for a number of years( 3?) How does this work for Nannes as afaik he never playing in holland.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's only part of the rules- you can qualify by a number of other criteria. I don't rightly know the details but i believe being born somewhere is one of them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dutch passport, from memory.
Yup.

If you're a national (as defined by that country) and haven't played for another nation in the last 4 years you can play for that country, regardless of residence.

Nash was in the Windies team after just over a year from memory.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
aah oke...makes sense, pity Bollinger will never play for us haha

Jack told me that Tom Cooper holds a dutch passport as well...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Good article. Decent bloke too.

Odd story. Met Dirk Nannes at a Melbourne Premier League game, he was not playing as he was injured. This was roughly a year before he made his first class debut. Sat on the grass banks at Camberwell Sports Ground having a couple of beers with him.

Thumbs up from me. Hope he does well playing for Holland. Deserved Australian selection.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Odd story. Met Dirk Nannes at a Melbourne Premier League game, he was not playing as he was injured. This was roughly a year before he made his first class debut. Sat on the grass banks at Camberwell Sports Ground having a couple of beers with him.

Thumbs up from me. Hope he does well playing for Holland. Deserved Australian selection.
Drinking beer at the cricket...hmm, not sure it's all that odd a story, tbf. If he'd have been on saki, dressed in a kimono & insisted on being addressed as Diggler-san, then yeah, I'd grant you it might've been slightly odd, but... :p

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Haha, at CSG? Lucky enough to never have had to face him, even though CSG was my home ground. A really good fellow, even though he isn't your "traditional" cricketer. Doesn't think that cricket is life or death, just tries to bowl quick and scare blokes, and if it doesn't work out he has jobs to fall back on. One of the nicer men you'd meet, though.

stumpski

International Captain
He might know some Japanese, but does he actually speak any Dutch? Just wondered if he's going to be able to join in with the sledging. :ph34r:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
He might know some Japanese, but does he actually speak any Dutch? Just wondered if he's going to be able to join in with the sledging. :ph34r:
considering he always held his dutch passport and both his parents are dutch and he is able to learn Japanese, yes I think he can understand dutch and probably speak it decently as well.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's all the fuss about? He has a Dutch passport IIRC, and it's Australia's fault for not picking him.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
What's all the fuss about? He has a Dutch passport IIRC, and it's Australia's fault for not picking him.
I'm pretty sure you will find most of the members of this forum are perfectly fine with Nannes playing for the Dutch. It will make following the fortunes of Holland all the more interesting knowing they have a genuine T20 star in the side.

The frustrations more come from Australia's own selectors for not picking one of the finer T20 bowlers in the country. It should never have reached the situation where he has to play for another country.

Good luck to Dirk Nannes I say. We have established that he is a top bloke, has a genuine personality, and is a bloody good fast bowler. Hope he rips through afew top-orders at the World Cup.

Stapel

International Regular
Well, you'ld be surprised which language most Dutch cricketers speak when playing cricket. None of the cricket terms have been translated into Dutch. To find out how these typical phrases can be translated into Dutch, one has to turn to Afrikaans.

Naumaan

First Class Debutant
hey all
he should 've had played for Australia
it's cheating (kidding)
now he'll play for netherlands in the match between pakistan vs netherlands
if england beat pakistan, & then pakistan has to beat netherlands to go to next round
we'll lose it lol
it's cheating lol