• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian squad announced

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I like Holland, there's no way he should be playing for them if Australia want him. He's a product of our system.
If Nannes were 22 even 25, i'd say fair enough...

but he's in his 30's you've had your chance, now we can use him to promote cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
He's only been around three years or so. Not like he's been around 20 years before this.

He's a product of our system, our investment and if we want him there shouldn't be any question that he should play for us.

That said, as you'd know I'd be very happy for him to play for Holland as they're my second favourite team in int. cricket.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea solid for real. On him making the squad hmm:

Marsh (Hayden if not fit once Matty keeps his form in the IPL)
Watson
Ponting
Symonds
M Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Hopes
Johnson
Lee (pending form)
Bracken

D Hussey
Hauritz
Tait
White

So i guess Nannes best shot of being picked is if Tait aint fit in time.

pasag

RTDAS
Yea solid for real. On him making the squad hmm:

Marsh (Hayden if not fit once Matty keeps his form in the IPL)
Watson
Ponting
Symonds
M Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Hopes
Johnson
Lee (pending form)
Bracken

D Hussey
Hauritz
Tait
White

So i guess Nannes best shot of being picked is if Tait aint fit in time.
Don't rate Hopes as a Twenty20 bowler and don't think Bracken should be a cert in this format with his form. If someone like Nannes is in form I'd play them before any bowler aside from Johnson.

Oh and Siddle has to play.

An attack of:

Johnson
Siddle
Nannes
Tait

would be very promising and would really increase our WC chances, IMHO.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't rate Hopes as a Twenty20 bowler.
Well he won't a main bowling option he is back-up. Since yea he will be target, plus his batting @ 8 will be extremely useful & needed as well in that format.

and don't think Bracken should be a cert in this format with his form.
One bad ODI series after 3.5 years of top-class ODI performances. Bracks can be allowed that, plus he is looking almost back to his best in UAE currently. His position shouldn't be a worry really.

If someone like Nannes is in form I'd play them before any bowler aside from Johnson.

Oh and Siddle has to play.

An attack of:

Johnson
Siddle
Nannes
Tait

would be very promising and would really increase our WC chances, IMHO.
Forgot about Siddle, he has to play no doubt.

I'd say Johnno, Bracks & big Pete are the must pick pacers. Lets see how Nannes goe for the remainder of the IPL & how Tait/Lee with their fitness/form come along.

Since those three are likely to be battling for two spots it seems, hauritz can't be picked then.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Siddle going to be fit, does anyone know? I though he was just being rested originally, but then I read an article (can't find it right now) that said he was recovering well from his injury and should be able to bowl soon.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
oh dear Dirk, what are you doing!

i'm happy he is performing so terrific, but a bi scared of Australian selectors atm

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whispers doing the rounds here are that Dougie might get the call for this.

Might be a consolation prize for missing Ashes selection :(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If Hodge isn't one of the best 3 bats in the format in Australia, then I'll go "heeee".

Might actually be a positive for Clarke, having to play some Twenty20 and being forced to get a move on and score at a higher strike rate.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be interesting to see how Hauritz goes, he's hardly ever played any domestic T20 and no internationals. Probably the right pick, though. Same goes for Siddle, with even fewer T20 matches under his belt.

pasag

RTDAS
We could have won the WC, imo, or seriously challenged for it if we had picked the best side for the job. That includes picking guys like Carseldine, Hodge, Nannes. Unfortunatley it's going to take the Australian selectors a lot longer than most to realise that just sending the ODI team in, (a team that in itself has had serious scoring rate issues over the last two years) is not going to work.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
We could have won the WC, imo, or seriously challenged for it if we had picked the best side for the job. That includes picking guys like Carseldine, Hodge, Nannes. Unfortunatley it's going to take the Australian selectors a lot longer than most to realise that just sending the ODI team in, (a team that in itself has had serious scoring rate issues over the last two years) is not going to work.
Clarke definitely looks like a bit of a problem, I'm surprised he's missing the T20 this week and not getting in some practice. It will be interesting to see if Symonds can get going. If he does, then Warner, Watson, Ponting, Symonds and Haddin is a very good batting line-up.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
No real surprises from the national selectors. Still showing no signs of actually caring about the format and picking the most suitable squad for a Twenty20 tournament. Enough IPL and domestic cricket has been played over the previous three years to determine which cricketers are the goods in this format.

Brad Hodge is the worlds best T20 batsman. He is showing this in the IPL right now. He has done it countless times in Australia. Performed over many matches in England. Hodge simply understands the format better than any other cricketer.

Selectors missed out on Dirk Nannes. Really starting to impress in the IPL. Any Australian domestic supporter knows what he is capable of in T20. His style of bowling is well suited to the game, and has been up their every season in the wicket taking.

They included a cricketer such as James Hopes. I really like Hopes as a ODI cricketer, but in T20 he has been shown to be a flop. As a batsman only useful if he opens the batting, and his bowling is a mixture of very hittable material. He has an appalling record in the format.

What has Michael Clarke ever done in T20? Look forward to a number of 10 runs off 16 balls type innings. Will they make him open? Why take that risk when perfectly suitable cricketers have been left back in Australia such as Quiney.