• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most disappointing player of the Tounament

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There's been a few big reputations who haven't performed this time round.

But who is your biggest disappointment?

For me it's got to be the man who now holds a Brazilian record, most consecutive games in the number 10 shirt without scoring...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard hardly let anyone down did he? H wasn't used properly, and din't play as well as he is capable of but doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath Lampard and Ronaldinho in disappointments, both of whom are supposed to be two of the three best players in the world. I'd say both Brazil and England can look to these two players and cite them as reasons why these sides never went as far as they should.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Ronaldinho .

For past 12 months he looked untouchable in Europeand then he comes up with these ****** displays. What could be the reason he dosent come across as someonewho gets fazed by pressure.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Definitely, Ronaldinho. He looked very out-of-sorts, nearly the whole brazillian team looked quite tired really, barring a few players in cafu, carlos methinks.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to say Fat Frank myself. He's been absolutely shocking. Robinson & Terry also haven't quite lived up to their pre-tournament billings.

Ronaldinho & Ibrahimovic were anonymous & woeful respectively, but the former is massively overrated anyway (oh yes he is) & the only one who really rates the latter is the latter.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Gerrard hardly let anyone down did he?
Every day I get scousers telling me how great he is. How he's better than Lampard. How he's right up there with Ronaldinho. How many people would have backed him to be England's best player? Just look at his reputation. Look at his Liverpool performances, then look at this tournament (and the vast majority of his other England appearances) and you'll see a complete player and inspirational leader, then a shadow of the one in Red who is distinctly average as international midfielders go. Disappointment.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Lampard and Ronaldinho for mine. Thought that Ronaldinho was overrated going into this tournament, and Brazil's results proved it. Still a good player, mind, but not in the Zidane class.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ronaldinho obviously the big one, problem is that there have been very few stand outs so you cant say that many players have under performed that much...

Xuhaib

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Have to say Fat Frank myself. He's been absolutely shocking. Robinson & Terry also haven't quite lived up to their pre-tournament billings.

Ronaldinho & Ibrahimovic were anonymous & woeful respectively, but the former is massively overrated anyway (oh yes he is) & the only one who really rates the latter is the latter.
Ronaldinho was rightly rated, he was the standout player for the best club in the world throughout the last season.

Craig

World Traveller
Dejan STankovic and the whole Serbia and Montenegro team.

How can you defend so well in the qualifying process and yet your defence has more leaks in it then a wood boat?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seems like Ronaldinho is a bit of a big game bottler, he was rubbish this tournament, rubbish in the CL final and he wasn't much cop in World Cup 2002 when he got himself sent off against England. Dunno what he's been like for Barca in big league games, presumably a bit better?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
dontcloseyoureyes said:
All of the Serbian team.
5 of em got docked some of their pay for under performing, they were a bit harsh on Koroman i thought considering he was their best player in the game against the Dutch...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Every day I get scousers telling me how great he is. How he's better than Lampard. How he's right up there with Ronaldinho. How many people would have backed him to be England's best player? Just look at his reputation. Look at his Liverpool performances, then look at this tournament (and the vast majority of his other England appearances) and you'll see a complete player and inspirational leader, then a shadow of the one in Red who is distinctly average as international midfielders go. Disappointment.
Absolutely right. We're forever being told that SGE didn't use him properly, but it's not as if he was stuck on the left wing or used as a holding player for most of this WC. Ultimately these guys have to take some responsibility for what they do or don't do out there.

Back to the question though. Can't argue with Ronaldinho & Lampard as he main contenders. I'd definitely add Deco, who did nothing whatesoever last night and hasn't exactly lit up the tournament at any time. Kaka was quite ordinary apart from that goal against Croatia. Robben didn't do much apart from fall over a lot after his goal in the opening game. Beckham, of course, for all the rasons that have been discussed elsewhere. Was Requilem all he was cracked up to be? Not convinced, tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Seems like Ronaldinho is a bit of a big game bottler, he was rubbish this tournament, rubbish in the CL final and he wasn't much cop in World Cup 2002 when he got himself sent off against England. Dunno what he's been like for Barca in big league games, presumably a bit better?/B]

He was awesome against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu, completely destroyed them to the point that even the Madrid fans were applauding him come the end. He had a good season but he was not as crucial or important say as the two previous years.

Ronaldinho did have a bad tournament but you have to remember that he was played in a completely different position to the one he occupies for Barcelona. Where he is allowed more freedom and does not have the burden of defensive duties, tracking back et cetera. No excuse of course because he could have seemingly broke those shackles against France when they were losing but it must be hard when every pass you play through is ‘chased’ by a big fat lazy lump and a guy who has not fancied it for the best part of six months.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't disagree that Gerrard wasn't as good as he has been for Liverpool, I just feel he is far from one of the disappointments of the tournament, in that he disappointed a lot less than some of the other English players, and they should be named before he is

Xuhaib

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Seems like Ronaldinho is a bit of a big game bottler, he was rubbish this tournament, rubbish in the CL final and he wasn't much cop in World Cup 2002 when he got himself sent off against England. Dunno what he's been like for Barca in big league games, presumably a bit better?

He got sent off after scoring one and setting up another and i remember he was pretty good in the final aswell, though i must agree that this was his chance to put his name alongside Maradonna, Zidane and others but unfortunatley he blew it.