Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most disappointing player of the Tounament

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    All of the Serbian team.
    5 of em got docked some of their pay for under performing, they were a bit harsh on Koroman i thought considering he was their best player in the game against the Dutch...

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Every day I get scousers telling me how great he is. How he's better than Lampard. How he's right up there with Ronaldinho. How many people would have backed him to be England's best player? Just look at his reputation. Look at his Liverpool performances, then look at this tournament (and the vast majority of his other England appearances) and you'll see a complete player and inspirational leader, then a shadow of the one in Red who is distinctly average as international midfielders go. Disappointment.
    Absolutely right. We're forever being told that SGE didn't use him properly, but it's not as if he was stuck on the left wing or used as a holding player for most of this WC. Ultimately these guys have to take some responsibility for what they do or don't do out there.

Back to the question though. Can't argue with Ronaldinho & Lampard as he main contenders. I'd definitely add Deco, who did nothing whatesoever last night and hasn't exactly lit up the tournament at any time. Kaka was quite ordinary apart from that goal against Croatia. Robben didn't do much apart from fall over a lot after his goal in the opening game. Beckham, of course, for all the rasons that have been discussed elsewhere. Was Requilem all he was cracked up to be? Not convinced, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Seems like Ronaldinho is a bit of a big game bottler, he was rubbish this tournament, rubbish in the CL final and he wasn't much cop in World Cup 2002 when he got himself sent off against England. [B]Dunno what he's been like for Barca in big league games, presumably a bit better?/B]
    He was awesome against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu, completely destroyed them to the point that even the Madrid fans were applauding him come the end. He had a good season but he was not as crucial or important say as the two previous years.

Ronaldinho did have a bad tournament but you have to remember that he was played in a completely different position to the one he occupies for Barcelona. Where he is allowed more freedom and does not have the burden of defensive duties, tracking back et cetera. No excuse of course because he could have seemingly broke those shackles against France when they were losing but it must be hard when every pass you play through is ‘chased’ by a big fat lazy lump and a guy who has not fancied it for the best part of six months.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I don't disagree that Gerrard wasn't as good as he has been for Liverpool, I just feel he is far from one of the disappointments of the tournament, in that he disappointed a lot less than some of the other English players, and they should be named before he is
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Seems like Ronaldinho is a bit of a big game bottler, he was rubbish this tournament, rubbish in the CL final and he wasn't much cop in World Cup 2002 when he got himself sent off against England. Dunno what he's been like for Barca in big league games, presumably a bit better?

He got sent off after scoring one and setting up another and i remember he was pretty good in the final aswell, though i must agree that this was his chance to put his name alongside Maradonna, Zidane and others but unfortunatley he blew it.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Ronaldinho did have a bad tournament but you have to remember that he was played in a completely different position to the one he occupies for Barcelona. Where he is allowed more freedom and does not have the burden of defensive duties, tracking back et cetera.
    Erm, didn't Brazil have 2 defensive midfielders in there to allow the "famous 4" to not have to trrack back?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Erm, didn't Brazil have 2 defensive midfielders in there to allow the "famous 4" to not have to trrack back?
    Erm yes they did but he still had to defend because Carlos Alberto Parreira insisted on both Kaka and Ronaldinho fulfilling there defensive duties. It was reported after Brazil’s game with Japan that the two most tired and weary players in the Brazilian side were the two attacking midfielders because of the workload enforced on them and that Ronaldinho has outwardly said his never worked so hard before.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Wayne Rooney
    Excuses because of the injury were allowed UNTIL he got sent off...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

I really dont see how Gerrard was a dissapoitment, he scored two goals one of which was superb, that is more goals than Ballack who didnt get one. In all of the games he put in atleast a solid performance and was far better than Lampard. To claim that he was one of the biggest dissapointing players of the tournament is obsurd

Ronaldinho and Lampard as has been said have been very dissapointing but for me Ibramhimovic was simply awful, no wonder Jueventus feel the need to cheat with him and Trezeguet upftront. Strikers as a whole have been dissapointing, klose has been the best and he is hardly inspiring.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    Wayne Rooney
    Excuses because of the injury were allowed UNTIL he got sent off...
    Just based on his performance in the 2nd Round, he cannot be called most disappointing.

Ronaldinho

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Every day I get scousers telling me how great he is. How he's better than Lampard. How he's right up there with Ronaldinho. How many people would have backed him to be England's best player? Just look at his reputation. Look at his Liverpool performances, then look at this tournament (and the vast majority of his other England appearances) and you'll see a complete player and inspirational leader, then a shadow of the one in Red who is distinctly average as international midfielders go. Disappointment.
    Spot on. The reason SG should be lambasted more than FFF is because nobody really expects anything from FFF (FIFA, as usual, can be disregarded, does anybody really think FFF would make a world 11?No.) but Gerrard has high expectations, not only from LFC fans, or England fans, or football fans the world over, but from himself. And he didn't deliver. Again. Ffs even Fat 'un got further forward than him, but bottled it in front of goal. Bugger Sven and his tactics (whatever they were) Gerrard went missing for the whole tournament, regardless of his two goals (good as they were) he is supposedly our best player along side Wine and never once did he take a game by the scruff: I applaud Fatty for having the balls and the wherewithall for getting into the positions Gerrard should have been in, SG is supposedly a world class player and he blew it big style for me.

The new Bryan Robson?

He is the new John Barnes and that's the end of it.

Other than he, Ronaldinho is the obvious choice. He himself said before the tournament that the Barca Ronaldinho would not make an appearance at the WC, and my my he called it right. Not even up there with the likes of like Zico and Eder, never mind Diego who he's compared with, even Dr Socrates could smoke 40 a day and turn in better shows, poor stuff lad.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    I really dont see how Gerrard was a dissapoitment, he scored two goals one of which was superb, that is more goals than Ballack who didnt get one. In all of the games he put in atleast a solid performance and was far better than Lampard. To claim that he was one of the biggest dissapointing players of the tournament is obsurd

Ronaldinho and Lampard as has been said have been very dissapointing but for me Ibramhimovic was simply awful, no wonder Jueventus feel the need to cheat with him and Trezeguet upftront. Strikers as a whole have been dissapointing, klose has been the best and he is hardly inspiring.
    How was he better than Lampard? If Fatty had brought his shooting boots with him he'd have been up there with Klose as top scorer, Fatty was the one getting up to support the lone striker because Gerrard went missing. Again.

I don't rate Frank that highly but at least he tried and didn't bottle it, he was the one driving forward trying to support, Gerrard was the one "tackling back" trying to support Hargreaves and I'm sorry, if he can't work out, after Christ knows how many games, that he is our best attacking midfielder then balls to him. He shackled himself and he's an idiot for doing so. Do your job and leave defending to the rest, he's trying to be Roy Keane and he is no Roy Keane, players like him and Matthaus come around once a generation and he ain't one of 'em.
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 07-07-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Err no Keane is not once a generation player. He's a good player that would have got into most sides but you could find at least half a dozen midfielders of similar or better quality in any year of the modern era without too much difficulty.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Err no Keane is not once a generation player. He's a good player that would have got into most sides but you could find at least half a dozen midfielders of similar or better quality in any year of the modern era without too much difficulty.
    I can't think of many. At his peak he was the best complete midfielder in the world, their type don't come around often. You get very good attacking midfielders and very good defensive ones but rarely do you get both in the same fellow. Viera is similar but not as good.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information