• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tis a sad day

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You spend 3 years and 11 months looking forwards to the World Cup, then when you're just twenty days into it you have two days without a game, which signals that the end is nigh. :@

Mad really, when watching your team, you just keep wishing it was the later rounds, but when they come, they've come too soon, only 8 games left :@

And what the hell am I meant to do with my evening? Rumour has it there are other programmes on TV. Might find out what that's all about.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
And what the hell am I meant to do with my evening? Rumour has it there are other programmes on TV. Might find out what that's all about.
I wouldn't bother. It's mostly Big Brother and Gordon "F Word" Ramsay these days. :dry:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Big Brother is banned from my television

The missus responded by saying that maybe she would ban football then. I said, erm, no, I don't think you'll be doing that. :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:

The missus responded by saying that maybe she would ban football then. I said, erm, no, I don't think you'll be doing that. :)
:laugh: That's the spirit.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GeraintIsMyHero said:

Lol!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:

Im guessing you said that just after she had left the room and was out of earshot :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i hate that feeling as well, its gone very quickly, not fair, not fair at all, i wondered today if they should add one extra knock out round today to sustain it for a bit longer...but then decided that probably wouldnt be much of a good idea, but as for big brother, its total crap i concur.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I did actually hear, four years ago, that for the 2010 WC they were considering having 36 teams. How the hell they were planning on working that, I have no clue, and I don't know if they dropped the plan, but maybe that would mean more games :)

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it just me, or is this witch hunt getting duller and duller by the second? Yo, GeraintIsMyHero, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I did actually hear, four years ago, that for the 2010 WC they were considering having 36 teams. How the hell they were planning on working that, I have no clue, and I don't know if they dropped the plan, but maybe that would mean more games :)
Hellishly complicated, I would have thought. 32 is fine, IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well yes, but this is FIFA who had three World Cups were the 4 best 3rd placed teams went through, and one before that were they had s second group stage, with groups of three. So it's not like they've ever really done things the easy way 8-)

I haven't heard anything about it for years though so perhaps they've shelved the idea.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Ive no problem with more games but I only hope the 4 extra places go to Europe. Too many very good teams are left at home. Ive no problem with regions getting a certain number of places but the WC cannot be further diluted with extra Asian, N. American, second rate South Americans and African teams.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GeraintIsMyHero said:
6 Groups of 6 I guess - would be ridiculously long in that case.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think 32 is just dandy really. The only conceivable way to increase it (without going the whole hog to 64 teams, which may be a tad OTT) would be to increase it to 40 teams & have 8 groups of five with 2 to advance.

Would increase the "dead rubbers" tho I'd guess.

Why not just have it every two years instead? The European Championships is like the Wolrd Cup without Brazil & Argentina anyway!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I think 32 is just dandy really. The only conceivable way to increase it (without going the whole hog to 64 teams, which may be a tad OTT) would be to increase it to 40 teams & have 8 groups of five with 2 to advance.

Would increase the "dead rubbers" tho I'd guess.
The other problem with groups of 5 is that it becomes impossible for the final round of games in a group to be played simultaneously, which allows the sort of West Germany & Austria fiasco we saw in 1982. Forgive me if you already know this, but theirs was the final game in their group and they knew that WG needed to win and Austria needed not to lose by more than 1. Sure enough, WG went ahead after 20 minutes or so and that was the end of the contest. Lets not do that again!