Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Tis a sad day

  1. #16
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    Well yes, but this is FIFA who had three World Cups were the 4 best 3rd placed teams went through, and one before that were they had s second group stage, with groups of three. So it's not like they've ever really done things the easy way

    I haven't heard anything about it for years though so perhaps they've shelved the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #17
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,134
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    I did actually hear, four years ago, that for the 2010 WC they were considering having 36 teams. How the hell they were planning on working that, I have no clue, and I don't know if they dropped the plan, but maybe that would mean more games
    Ive no problem with more games but I only hope the 4 extra places go to Europe. Too many very good teams are left at home. Ive no problem with regions getting a certain number of places but the WC cannot be further diluted with extra Asian, N. American, second rate South Americans and African teams.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  3. #18
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,755
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    I did actually hear, four years ago, that for the 2010 WC they were considering having 36 teams. How the hell they were planning on working that, I have no clue, and I don't know if they dropped the plan, but maybe that would mean more games
    6 Groups of 6 I guess - would be ridiculously long in that case.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  4. #19
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,221
    I think 32 is just dandy really. The only conceivable way to increase it (without going the whole hog to 64 teams, which may be a tad OTT) would be to increase it to 40 teams & have 8 groups of five with 2 to advance.

    Would increase the "dead rubbers" tho I'd guess.

    Why not just have it every two years instead? The European Championships is like the Wolrd Cup without Brazil & Argentina anyway!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli


  5. #20
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I think 32 is just dandy really. The only conceivable way to increase it (without going the whole hog to 64 teams, which may be a tad OTT) would be to increase it to 40 teams & have 8 groups of five with 2 to advance.

    Would increase the "dead rubbers" tho I'd guess.
    The other problem with groups of 5 is that it becomes impossible for the final round of games in a group to be played simultaneously, which allows the sort of West Germany & Austria fiasco we saw in 1982. Forgive me if you already know this, but theirs was the final game in their group and they knew that WG needed to win and Austria needed not to lose by more than 1. Sure enough, WG went ahead after 20 minutes or so and that was the end of the contest. Lets not do that again!

  6. #21
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,908
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    6 Groups of 6 I guess - would be ridiculously long in that case.
    It would. And then you have some mechanism for 32 out of 36 to play in the knockout stages or a 2nd group stage. Neither seem a good idea to me.

  7. #22
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,221
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    The other problem with groups of 5 is that it becomes impossible for the final round of games in a group to be played simultaneously, which allows the sort of West Germany & Austria fiasco we saw in 1982. Forgive me if you already know this, but theirs was the final game in their group and they knew that WG needed to win and Austria needed not to lose by more than 1. Sure enough, WG went ahead after 20 minutes or so and that was the end of the contest. Lets not do that again!
    Fair point. I have only vague memories of '82 (six at the time...), but I have read of the stitch-up job they perpretrated. Shocking really, especially as Algeria had beaten West Germany in the first game.

  8. #23
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    64 teams. Straight knock out.

  9. #24
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    64 teams. Straight knock out.
    Then we can look forward to at least 20 games between teams who have no chance of getting anywhere before we get to games that actually mean anything. Democratic Republic of Congo vs Iraq anyone? No? Thought not.

  10. #25
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    International Coach cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    10,026
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Big Brother is banned from my television

    The missus responded by saying that maybe she would ban football then. I said, erm, no, I don't think you'll be doing that.
    Football cant be banned, because it is the compensation she pays for watching soaps. If she wants big brother she must be prepared to pay more.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  11. #26
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    Ive no problem with more games but I only hope the 4 extra places go to Europe. Too many very good teams are left at home. Ive no problem with regions getting a certain number of places but the WC cannot be further diluted with extra Asian, N. American, second rate South Americans and African teams.
    People in those regions wouldn't be pleased with that comment. Especially those from Africa.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  12. #27
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,358
    I've gotta say, even though I love watching African nations play, it's about right. Maybe Uruguay from South America, but not many else.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Cameroon and Nigeria deserve a world cup spot more than Norway and Ireland, frankly. Uruguay also warrant a spot, and Columbia aren't bad either.

    Four more European spots would be pretty ridiculous, given the performance of the likes of Poland, Serbia & Montenegro, and even Ukraine, who despite making the quarters haven't exactly done anything of note so far, and got blessed with the easiest draw around by far. The performance of European nations has been pretty good at this world cup, but it is in Europe after all, and the lesser European teams haven't done any better than most of the teams from Africa.

    If 36 places was the new mark, I'd add one to Africa, one to South America and two to Europe, at most, and let Asia/North America keep their shared spot that they have now. If they stay at 32, I'd either take that shared spot and give it to Africa, or take the third outright qualification position from North/Central America and give that to Africa.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  14. #29
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad

    If 36 places was the new mark, I'd add one to Africa, one to South America and two to Europe, at most, and let Asia/North America keep their shared spot that they have now. If they stay at 32, I'd either take that shared spot and give it to Africa, or take the third outright qualification position from North/Central America and give that to Africa.
    Yeah, that distribution seems fair. I must say though re your comments about Ireland, if Ireland had qualified they would have gotten through the group stage, you can count on that, whereas Cameroon and Nigeria possibly wouldn't. Agree with the rest, though.

  15. #30
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Is it just me, or is this witch hunt getting duller and duller by the second? Yo, GeraintIsMyHero, what are your thoughts?
    Actually midly amusing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •