Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest World Cup matches of all-time

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

The greatest World Cup matches of all-time

Wasn't that a thriller last night?? Ukraine V Switzerland. Couldn't sleep afterwards it was so exciting. Or perhaps not, so to rid that atrocity from our minds, let us recall and remember our favourite World Cup matches. They can be all-time classics, or matches that are memorable for you for one reason or another. there is enough people in this forum to have a wide range

The first WC I remember is USA 94, and vague parts of Italia 90, but as a youngster I was a keen student of the game and as such I have watched many greats on video. Off the top of my head here are a few favourites of mine:

England 1-1 West Germany
    1990, semi-finals, vaguely remember watching it with my sister, but my memories of this game come from watching it on video. It always annoys me when Waddle hits the post, although I don't think it would have counted anyway, because the ref blew up at that moment....

Bulgaria 2-1 Germany (USA 94)

England 2-2 Argentina (France 98)
    Despite the bad result, a classic encounter, and what a goal from Michael Owen. When he scored that goal, i think we all thought we would win the World Cup. Hopefully, in four years he'll round off his World Cup career by scoring another one just like it

Brazil 3-2 Denmark (France 98)
    Absolute belter of a semi-final, this was international football at it's best and most exciting, how good was Laurdrup???

Holland 1-2 West Germany (West germany 74, final)
    How the Dutch never won this is beyond me. Johan Cruyff....

Mexico 2-1 Ireland (USA 94)
    Not a classic, but for personal reasons I will never forget this match. My hero, John Aldridge, became the only Tranmere player to play in the World Cup, and then in this match scored, to put us on the map. The cross was supplied by McAteer as well, who signed for us ten years later

England 4-2 West Germany (England 66)
    'nuff said
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    I don't remember owt from WC94, apart from crying after Norway refused to score against mighty Eire. Oh, and on that Mexico v Ireland match? *spit*. (though it probably saved the tournament from a lot of boring football)

Norway 2 - 1 Brazil (WC98)

Perfect drama, although it only mattered to one team.

Argentina 2 - 2 England (WC98)

Seriously though, grand game of football. Why Campbell's goal got disallowed I'll never know.

Can't remember much from 2002 - I remember getting cellphone updates from the last round of group games, and Sweden 1 - 2 Senegal was a good game, with Sweden being about two and a half inches from the quarters (I've never seen a harder shot from 10 yards than Svensson's into the post). It got a bit ridiculous tho.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982, even though I was gutted about a wonderful Brazil side going out.

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Australia 3 - 1 Japan. Defining moment for soccer in the most powerful, pound for pound, sports nation in the world. Incase a pasty skinned individual sees this as an opportunity to sieze the limelight (or any light other than the soft glow of a computer screen), yes, I am talking about Australia.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid
    Italy 3 Brazil 2 in 1982, even though I was gutted about a wonderful Brazil side going out.
    What a side that was. Pity they had no decent forwards.

What a midfield though, Eder, Falcao, Socrates and Zico.

Despite currently disliking the Brazilian side it was not always the case and I shed a tear when Zico missed that penalty with his first touch in '86
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Austria 7 Switzerland 5 can't have been bad.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertinho
    Australia 3 - 1 Japan. Defining moment for soccer in the most powerful, pound for pound, sports nation in the world. Incase a pasty skinned individual sees this as an opportunity to sieze the limelight (or any light other than the soft glow of a computer screen), yes, I am talking about Australia.
    See this is where it gets difficult. I agree with your comments about Australia but just when Im thinking positive thoughts about Aussie sports I read the next line having a go at the English.

Its hard work on CW at the moment, why post something at least partially interesting and then devalue it by throwing in some ********?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Norway 2 - 1 Brazil (WC98)

Perfect drama, although it only mattered to one team.
    I'm not sure the Moroccan team who might reasonably have expected to advance after beating Scotland had Brazil avoided defeat would altogether agree it only mattered to one team!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'm not sure the Moroccan team who might reasonably have expected to advance after beating Scotland had Brazil avoided defeat would altogether agree it only mattered to one team!
    One of the two actually playing the match, then.

I'm sure the Moroccans still believe the American referee with the lovely name of Esfandiar Baharmast was given a considerable part of the Norwegian state pension fund.
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 27-06-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Sweden vs. Shaka Hislop.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Vice-Captain
    I seem to remember the Holland v Argentina match at France '98 being pretty good, probably at least partly due to the result. Can't really remember any really good matches in Korea/Japan though.

Holland V Argentina was a good match. And what a goal.

Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp! Denis Bergkamp!

If anyone was unsure about what I was doing there by the way, a Dutch sommentator said Denis Bergkamp about that many times, and had to be treated for hyper-ventilation afterwards!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Indeed, Argentina/Holland was the best match at France '98 for mine, absolute cracker. Argentina/England was pretty good too, as was Spain/Nigeria. 98 is the best tournament I've seen until this one, but '94 had some good games too. Mostly it was just ruined by a terrible ending, it was actually a pretty decent world cup in my view.

2002 was a shocker and didn't have much in the way of great games. USA/Portugal was a pretty good one, though the result didn't do much for me.

And yeah, Japan/Australia was an absolute ripper at this tournament. Not only a huge moment for Australian sport, but an amazing comeback in its own right. Mexico/Argentina was sensational too.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Australia's late fightback was good, and in no way is this a(nother) dig at you Aussies, but I do believe there are better fightbacks in World Cup history than coming from one down against Japan. Like West germany coming from two down to beat the World Champions, England, in Mexico 70.

Fair play though, obviously it's a game that will always be remembered over there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information