• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Footballers' Haircuts: Germany 2006

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Now whilst it's been a pretty decent tournament so far, bollock-footed Englishmen not withstanding, one thing that, for me, has been a big let down is the lack of quality rubbish haircuts. Back in the day World Cups used to be a heaven for connoisseurs of tonsorial tragedies. I still get dewy-eyed now thinking of the bemulleted god that was Tomas Skuhravy & his epic mullet:

Truly a legend, he bestrode Italia 90 like a deity amongst mortals.

Personally I think we can blame the pernicious influence of globalisation for this sad turn of events. In past tournaments you knew that Eastern European teams based their appearance on Bon Jovi circa Slippery When Wet, nowadays it only takes a click of a mouse for anyone to see what haircuts they're sporting in Paris & Milan this year.

A few brave souls buck the short-back-and-sides trend, who I now applaud individually.

Iran's Ali Karimi, who clearly uses the same barber as Nick Cave:

Mexico’s superb Marquez, proudly sporting a shaved-at-the-sides pony tail. Presumably his Ned's Atomic Dustbin tee-shirt underneath the green of his home nation:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
&, finally, one nation clearly setting their stall out to bag the honours. I give you messers Coloccini, Sorin, Cambiasso & Crespo:

If anyone else wishes to congratulate a hirsute hero, please post their picture here. ;)

Craig

World Traveller
That bloke hwo plays for Serbia and Montenegro who has three white lines in his here.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tremendous work from Iran's star up there.

The true winner of the worst team haircut award is Ukraine, however. I don't know the reason, but I do know they haven't been touched by this "global fashion" you speak of.

Some examples, then?

Andriy Gusin

Anatoliy Tymoschuk

Artem Milevskiy

Oleksandr Shovkovskyi

Andriy Rusol

I could go on, but well... is it necessary?

Cloete

International Captain

Kalac.

Who can forget Romania's efforts at France 98?

There's a Cisse or two floating around the Cote d'Ivoire as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I can't find a relevant picture but Christian Wilhelmsson has an atrocious rat tail attached to his dodgy mullet. Hands down he's the winner for me.

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:

Kalac.

Who can forget Romania's efforts at France 98?

There's a Cisse or two floating around the Cote d'Ivoire as well.
Kone?

I reckon if I saw him in a dark alley with that hair style I would probably run...:laugh: