• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI's - Europe & Rest of the World

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well after a few weeks of the world cup, looking at the performaces of a few players in the tournament & with due respect to some other class players who aren't participating in this tournament. I had an idea just to pick two 20-man squads from Europe & Rest of the World based on mixture of current form & overall career performances to see how they would match up:

EUROPE 20-MAN SQUAD:

FORMATION: 4-4-2

GOAL-KEEPERS: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Peter Cech (Czech Republic)

DEFENDERS: Gary Neville (England), Ashley Cole (England), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), John Terry (England), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal), Alessandro Nesta (Italy), Carlos Puyol (Spain), Gianlunca Zambrotta (Italy).

MID-FIELDERS: Michael Ballack (Germany), Arjen Robben (Holland), Frank Lampard (England), Steven Gerrard (England), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Michael Ballack (Germany), Patrick Vieira (France)

STRIKERS: Wayne Rooney (England), Thierry Henry (France), Fernando Torres (Spain), Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine)

GK – Gianluigi Buffon
RB – Carlos Puyol
LB – Gianlunca Zambrotta
CB – Fabio Cannavaro
CB – John Terry
RM – Christiano Ronaldo
LM – Arjen Robben
CDM – Andrea Pirlo
CAM – Steven Gerrard
ST- Andriy Shevchenko
ST – Thierry Henry

REST OF THE WORLD 20-MAN SQUAD:

FORMATION: 3-5-2

GOAL-KEEPERS: Dida (Brazil), Oswaldo Sanchez (Mexico)

DEFENDERS: Javier Zanetti (Argentina), Roberto Ayala (Argentina), Kolo Toure (Ivory Coast), Gabrielle Heinze (Argentina), Ivan Cordoba (Columbia), Rafael Marquez (Mexico).

MID-FIELDERS: Emanuel Eboue (Ivory Coast), Michael Essein (Ghana), Kaka (Brazil), Ronaldinho (Brazil), Juan Roman Riquelme (Argentina), Mahamadou Diarra (Mali), Stephen Appiah (Ghana).

STRIKERS: Adriano (Brazil), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon), Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Ronaldo (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina).

GK – Dida
RWB – Javier Zanetti
LWB – Gabrielle Heinze
CB – Roberto Ayala
CDM – Michael Essein
RM – Emanuel Eboue
LM – Kaka
CAM – Ronaldinho
CAM – Juan Roman Riquelme
ST – Hernan Crespo
ST – Samuel Eto’o

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If this is meant to be based on the world cup so far, why include players from countries that didn't qualify? May as well not have it in the WC forum at all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
As well as players not even good enough to get in teams that did qualify...
what are you saying blokes like Cordoba & Diarra cant make the sides of any of the 32 countries that qualified for the world cup this year?, come on now..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
If this is meant to be based on the world cup so far, why include players from countries that didn't qualify? May as well not have it in the WC forum at all.
as i mentioned they are some class players who aren't in the world cup i.e Cordoba & Diarra & even though Columbia & Mali didn't make the world surely they are good enough to make a rest of the world sqaud.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Considering Australia and Ecuador made it to the 2nd round, if these sides where based on World Cup performance atleast a couple players should be in there. i guess there not based on world cup performances if players outside the 32 teams are there. Some pretty average squad there consider what you could have had TBH.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
i guess there not based on world cup performances if players outside the 32 teams are there..
thats right not just on world cup performances but a mixture of that along with overall career performances & consideration to other top players from other countries that didn't qualify for the world cup.

chaminda_00 said:
Some pretty average squad there consider what you could have had TBH.
What, how can these sides be average?

Just because Australia & Ecuador they made it to the second round makes the players that they have the best in the world, if they get knocked out which is a very high possibilty what would you say then?, Greece won the european championship but you wouldn't pick any of their players a european sqaud regardless if they qualified for the world cup or not.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The point is, if you aren't picking the squads based on the world cup, why do it in the world cup thread? It's just not relevant.

For instance, you wouldn't have put Lucas Neill in a "rest of the world" team before the WC, but he'd certainly be part of the team of the WC so far, as he's been simply sensational in all three games. And again, you wouldn't pick Neville, Ashley Cole, Henry or Christiano Ronaldo based on their WC performances either, because they've been nothing special.

Cloete

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
The point is, if you aren't picking the squads based on the world cup, why do it in the world cup thread? It's just not relevant.

For instance, you wouldn't have put Lucas Neill in a "rest of the world" team before the WC, but he'd certainly be part of the team of the WC so far, as he's been simply sensational in all three games. And again, you wouldn't pick Neville, Ashley Cole, Henry or Christiano Ronaldo based on their WC performances either, because they've been nothing special.
You wouldn't pick C Ronaldo anyway, would you?

I spose aussie would though 8-)

He really isn't "good". I'll leave it at that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:

Nah, not really. He looks good, and occasionally does sensational things, but he's not one of the best players around imo. Not the best midfielder Portugal has, even.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Christino Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world and would walk into any World XI or European XI, end of story....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
what are you saying blokes like Cordoba & Diarra cant make the sides of any of the 32 countries that qualified for the world cup this year?, come on now..
That's not what I said now is it?

I said players not good enough to get into the teams that DID qualify.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Christino Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world and would walk into any World XI or European XI, end of story....
No, no he wouldn't. Overrated. His final pass isn't good enough, his shooting is pretty ordinary. He's like Joe Cole two years ago, a few tricks but no end product.

Cloete

International Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
No, no he wouldn't. Overrated. His final pass isn't good enough, his shooting is pretty ordinary. He's like Joe Cole two years ago, a few tricks but no end product.
Exactly.

His crossing (when he decides to cross it) is ridiculously poor. Figo's a much better player all round than him. Portugal would be much better off with Simao on the left and FIgo on the right for mine. All very well to have a guy pulling off some amazing tricks but if he's not crossing it in to a head there's no point in it. I can remember about 3 times against Iran when he beat 1 player (partially) then took a pathetic shot. That's the sotr of stuff he normally does. When he has a great match he gets the end product. More often than not his showboating comes to nothing.

Rant over :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ashely Cole's been a shadow of himself in this tournament, I wouldn't even have him as one of the top ten left-backs so far

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:

I'd admit since Ferguson bought him in 2003 he hasn't really lived up to the hype & has been pretty inconsistent showing basically glimpses of his real ability, he has all then tools all he needs to do is be more consistent & he will be one of the best winger in the world in the next few years. But overal saying is not ``good`` is just wrong.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That's not what I said now is it?

I said players not good enough to get into the teams that DID qualify.
ok well i guess you are refering to Zanetti, well coaches can make mistakes (Domenech left Guily out of the frenxh squad now you cant serious tell me he isn't good enough to make the french side based on his form at Barcelona recently).

Jose Pekerman has coached Argentine youth sides to various championships over the years & now that he has become national coach clearly wanted to pick players who he worrked with at the expense of a few old stars i.e Zanetti, Samuel, Ortega. Zanetti hasn't showed signs for Inter that he is losing it or anything its just the coach prefering youngsters & it shows the quality of players Argentina have since not many countries would leave Zanetti out of their world cup squads.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Zanetti isn't even in the Argentina squad, how does he make a World squad?

Also, a formation of 1 centre back and 2 wing backs is dodgy.

And if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen.