Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: World XI's - Europe & Rest of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    No, no he wouldn't. Overrated. His final pass isn't good enough, his shooting is pretty ordinary. He's like Joe Cole two years ago, a few tricks but no end product.
    Exactly.

His crossing (when he decides to cross it) is ridiculously poor. Figo's a much better player all round than him. Portugal would be much better off with Simao on the left and FIgo on the right for mine. All very well to have a guy pulling off some amazing tricks but if he's not crossing it in to a head there's no point in it. I can remember about 3 times against Iran when he beat 1 player (partially) then took a pathetic shot. That's the sotr of stuff he normally does. When he has a great match he gets the end product. More often than not his showboating comes to nothing.

Rant over
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Ashely Cole's been a shadow of himself in this tournament, I wouldn't even have him as one of the top ten left-backs so far
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    You wouldn't pick C Ronaldo anyway, would you?

I spose aussie would though

He really isn't "good". I'll leave it at that.
    I'd admit since Ferguson bought him in 2003 he hasn't really lived up to the hype & has been pretty inconsistent showing basically glimpses of his real ability, he has all then tools all he needs to do is be more consistent & he will be one of the best winger in the world in the next few years. But overal saying is not ``good`` is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    That's not what I said now is it?

I said players not good enough to get into the teams that DID qualify.
    ok well i guess you are refering to Zanetti, well coaches can make mistakes (Domenech left Guily out of the frenxh squad now you cant serious tell me he isn't good enough to make the french side based on his form at Barcelona recently).

Jose Pekerman has coached Argentine youth sides to various championships over the years & now that he has become national coach clearly wanted to pick players who he worrked with at the expense of a few old stars i.e Zanetti, Samuel, Ortega. Zanetti hasn't showed signs for Inter that he is losing it or anything its just the coach prefering youngsters & it shows the quality of players Argentina have since not many countries would leave Zanetti out of their world cup squads.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    If Zanetti isn't even in the Argentina squad, how does he make a World squad?

Also, a formation of 1 centre back and 2 wing backs is dodgy.

And if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Ok, based solely on the World Cup thus far my European XI would look like this:

------------------------------------Van der Sar-------------------------------------

Sergio Ramos-------Terry------------------Nesta-----------------Zambrotta

Rosicky----------------Frings-----------------Deco-----------------------J Cole

----------------------------Torres-----------------Shevchenko---------------------

Subs:
    G Buffon
    D Puyol
    D Lahm
    M Robben
    S Klose

I'm off out for a pint soon, so I'll post RotW XI tomorrow.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

If Zanetti isn't even in the Argentina squad, how does he make a World squad?

Also, a formation of 1 centre back and 2 wing backs is dodgy.

And if Eboue is the best non-European right midfielder then I'm Mads Jorgensen.
    Yeah thought that selection was hilarious

My ROW XI based on the WC:

------------------------------------Hislop-------------------------------------------------

Traeblsi------------------Hurtado------------------Neill-----------------------Sorin

Valencia----------------Kaka-----------------Riquelme-----------------------Park

---------------------------Cahill----------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------Tevez------------------------------

Subs:
    Sanchez G
    Ayala D
    Juan D
    Essien M
    Kewell M
    Kalou S
    Adriano S

As well as players not even good enough to get in teams that did qualify...
    Like who?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Exactly.

His crossing (when he decides to cross it) is ridiculously poor. Figo's a much better player all round than him. Portugal would be much better off with Simao on the left and FIgo on the right for mine. All very well to have a guy pulling off some amazing tricks but if he's not crossing it in to a head there's no point in it. I can remember about 3 times against Iran when he beat 1 player (partially) then took a pathetic shot. That's the sotr of stuff he normally does. When he has a great match he gets the end product. More often than not his showboating comes to nothing.

Rant over
    I think the same can be said of Robinho (I'm aware Aussie didn't pick him in his ROW XI but I will say it anyway) IMO.

For all the comparisons as the next Pele, I'm beginning to be believe he is over-rated if you are going to compare him as the next Pele already when there is no way he is not the finished article. Based on what? They both used to play for Santos?

For all his tricks he has, I think he certaintly goes over-board on more then one occasion, and in cases I think that it is unnessacary. The thing I'm trying to say is that he is all skill but no substance, I'm not saying he won't chnage, but there are times when he doesn't need to show-off. I have nothing against players with flair, but I can name one game aginst Espanyol where they were leading 4-0 and here was doing trick-after-trick when he should of just passed and it got on with the game. And there was times when he did struggle in a Real Madrid shirt.

Anyway unlike Pele (I know things where different), at least he had the guts to go aboard to get better, then be like Pele and stay at Santos and bully crap opposition.

My "best of the rest XI" from the world cup:

---------------------Abbondanzieri---------------------------

-------------Neill-----------Juan-------------Heinze--------

De La Cruz-----------Ze Roberto -----------------Sorin

----------------Riquelme--------------Essien--------------

-----------------Kaka---------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------Crespo----------------------------

A bit of a pigs breakfast but it is hard to pick the stikers with the Brazilians being lethargic, the Argies and Ecuadorians rested, Drogba suspended for the Ivory Coast's third game and no one else being standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Birtannia
    My "best of the rest XI" from the world cup:

---------------------Abbondanzieri---------------------------

-------------Neill-----------Juan-------------Heinze--------

De La Cruz-----------Ze Roberto -----------------Sorin

----------------Riquelme--------------Essien--------------

-----------------Kaka---------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------Crespo----------------------------

A bit of a pigs breakfast but it is hard to pick the stikers with the Brazilians being lethargic, the Argies and Ecuadorians rested, Drogba suspended for the Ivory Coast's third game and no one else being standouts.
    Yeah I was thinking that. I went for Tevez though. But I was going to have Tevez/Crespo/Saviola there. Also thought about Tenorio or Delgado

Fairly similar teams. I thought about Ze Roberto as well and also Abbondanzieri. Thing is I don't think Abbon has made too many saves, let alone top one's, but his distribution woulda been good! Heinze and Ayala was 50/50 for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Ok, based solely on the World Cup thus far my European XI would look like this:

------------------------------------Van der Sar-------------------------------------

Sergio Ramos-------Terry------------------Nesta-----------------Zambrotta

Rosicky----------------Frings-----------------Deco-----------------------J Cole

----------------------------Torres-----------------Shevchenko---------------------

Subs:
    G Buffon
    D Puyol
    D Lahm
    M Robben
    S Klose

I'm off out for a pint soon, so I'll post RotW XI tomorrow.
    I dunno how you could leave Robben out of the starting line-up. I'd bring him in at the expense of deco then move one of Cole or Rosicky into the middle. Play Robben on the left with Cole/Rosicky on the right.

I'd have Klose there over Shevva as well.

Thing is I don't think Abbon has made too many saves, let alone top one's, but his distribution woulda been good! Heinze and Ayala was 50/50 for me too.
    Good point. Hislop was unreal in the first game. I was very much qualified team centric in my thinking. Abbon has been more commanding than Dida, very average keeper for his reputation.

TBH I half expected Dida would not be in goal, and (I know inter bias you could say) and have Julio Cesar in goal instead.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I dunno how you could leave Robben out of the starting line-up. I'd bring him in at the expense of deco then move one of Cole or Rosicky into the middle. Play Robben on the left with Cole/Rosicky on the right.

I'd have Klose there over Shevva as well.
    Shevchenko is an infinitely less selfish player than Klose. It's important for strikers to have that eye for goal, but Shevchenko's ball to Kalinichenko was one of the most generous pieces of play I've seen this world cup. Quite within his rights to have a go, he squared it to give his mate the tap in. When Klose isn't playing well (like against yer Poles) he looks ordinary in the extreme. Scores goals tho, which is his job at the end of the day, Brian.

Robben is on the bench as an impact player; great to bring him on with 20/25 left & let him run at defences.

Anyway, my RotW XI

----------------------Abbondanzieri--------------------

Neill--------Lucio-----------Heinze--------------Sorin

Kaka-------Riquelme--------Essien--------Cambiasso

----------------------Ronaldhindo------------------------

-------------------------Crespo----------------------------

Subs:

G Sanchez
    D Cafu
    D Ayala
    M Cahill
    S Delgado