• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Cloete

International Captain
Matteh said:
Erm. No. The key problem with the England midfield is the quality of the final through ball, which atm is awful. The rest of their game is fine, bar Lampard and his shots.

So that England go back to 40 yard hit and hope passes? Pfft.

Essentially it became an utter farce with every challenge becoming a yellow. Got to thank Ivanov for getting Deco + Costinha banned though, also Figo's utter stupidity might get him banned too and Holland hurt Ronaldo....think the core of the Portugal team has been essentially knocked out.
England were hitting 40 yard passes first half anyway. Sven just needs to tell them to lay it to feet and Crouch is sure as hell no mug with his touches. The mids didn't produce a final ball all game and didn't do much else. Wow yeah certainly proved me wrong.

On a brighter note, we haven't seen anywhere near enough nutmegs this tournament. Thankfully last night's game brought the standard up, special mention to Wayne who managed about 3 or 4 :D

Cloete

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Argentina will eliminate Germany.

Australia will defeat Italy on penalty kicks tomorrow after drawing 1-1 in regulation, then 2-2 after extra time. Ukraine will defeat Switzerland 1-0. Australia will defeat Ukraine 1-0 and then beat Argentina 2-1 on a Cahill penalty kick.

The refereeing will be atrocious.

England will beat Portugal 1-0 on a Figo own goal. Brazil will beat Ghana 2-1 in the 89th minute after Adriano sneaks a goal despite being offside. Spain will defeat woeful France 2-0. Spain will then beat Brazil 3-1 in a stunning turn of events.

England will defeat Spain 2-1 on a Crouch header.

England will then meet Australia in the final in a football version of the Ashes. Just as in the cricket Ashes last year, Australia shall taste defeat. Frank Lampard shall sting the winner into the upper right hand side of the net from two yards outside the penalty area. Said winner shall come in the 79th minute.

Sorry for the spoilers.
I sure as hell won't be stung by a 79th minute winner against Australia in the WORLD CUP FINAL :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
****ing England. To think I got up at 3 a.m. to watch that boring piece of unimaginative crap.

That's 2 hours of sleep your lot owe me.

James

Cricket Web Owner
People - LANGUAGE!

Does the filter have to come into play with so many posts in this thread....

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Argentina will eliminate Germany.

Australia will defeat Italy on penalty kicks tomorrow after drawing 1-1 in regulation, then 2-2 after extra time. Ukraine will defeat Switzerland 1-0. Australia will defeat Ukraine 1-0 and then beat Argentina 2-1 on a Cahill penalty kick.
Isn't extra time Golden Goal....?

SupaFreak2005

International Vice-Captain
England look good to go through to the semis... I think that'll inspire them enough to play good enough to put up a good fight against brazil, if its Spain they're playing they'll lose definitely (I'm biased because I'm backing Spain this WC). And if they make it to the finals they can't beat Germany :p
Thats if Germany make it to the finals :)
Would be lovely if the Argentines beat Germany on Friday!

Xuhaib

International Coach
What was a more classy moment.

1. C.Ronaldo crying like a 7 year old girl.

2. Deco and Van Broncharst(sp?) watching the final moments of the match together.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Stopped watching at half-time in the P v H match thinking that the winner (Portugal looked likely) would be an absolutely massive favourite over the Poms.

As usual, Portugal seem to have self-destructed and the game is probably even money now.

Watched games in a huge bar in Dubai where vast majority of crowd was English.

Funny to here them jeering their own team despite winning the match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
England were hitting 40 yard passes first half anyway. Sven just needs to tell them to lay it to feet and Crouch is sure as hell no mug with his touches. The mids didn't produce a final ball all game and didn't do much else. Wow yeah certainly proved me wrong.
Don't know what you were watching, but there were a fair few good through balls played by the likes of Carrick and Gerrard.

Craig

World Traveller
It's funny I remember the famous song about Arsenal - 'One-nil to the Arsenal', maybe this can apply to England?

If England can't hope with the heat, doesn't that make them soft? Or is it the greatest cop-out/excuse when Scallywag was continuelly discredit England after their win against Australia at Edgbatson in the Ashes last year?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Don't know what you were watching, but there were a fair few good through balls played by the likes of Carrick and Gerrard.
Much of the first half featured a lot of 40, 50 and 60 yard passes.

Mercifully they shortened the passes in the second half.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Much of the first half featured a lot of 40, 50 and 60 yard passes.

Mercifully they shortened the passes in the second half.
16 years ago a cornucopia led by Mark Wright told Robby Bobson that the best way forward is for "me to play libero", it almost worked and but for the peno's we'd have won it IMO. Somebody needs to do the same here and now; this **** isn't as bad as Robson but **** me he's doing a fine impression of the biggest myth in English football.

It needs JT or probably Wayne (who clearly doesn't give a **** about anyone) to step up and tell this ****er what our best system is. It isn't what we played yesterday. **** me our next manager is sitting there, and he's a Yorkshireman, he looks as quiet as a mouse. I really think we can draw parallels from '90 but someone needs to grab Sven by the ******** and quick, otherwise the Germans are gonna win this.