• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Netherlands pretty unlucky really. Had the best of the second half the whole way through, but after about 65 mins or so it just died as a contest and nobody looked like scoring.

Van Basten really deserves some criticism for not bringing Van Nistelrooy on when his team had a man advantage. Kuyt was absolutely awful for the whole game and messed up every chance he got, and whatever you can say about Horseface he can certainly finish well. Netherlands needed a goal and didn't push hard enough to get it early in the half when they had the chance.

Incidentally, I don't think you can really blame the ref for all the cards. It did get a bit ridiculous after a while, but the game was out of hand and he was trying to regain control, which was fair enough. Very different from Poll the other day.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
poor holland that refree really messed them up, but England must really fancy their chances vs Portugal on saturday, i smell revenge GO ENGLAND..

Blaze

Banned

I never want to see Holland play Portugal again, they just can't beat them.

****. That second half had no flow, it didn't even feel like a football match...

What a way to go out.. At the end of the day though the Dutch wern't good enough in front of goal.. Kuyt should have been replaced in the second half. Really dissapointing, four years is a looooooooooong time. Bring back Begkamp.

Go the Aussies from here!!!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Van Basten really deserves some criticism for not bringing Van Nistelrooy on when his team had a man advantage. Kuyt was absolutely awful for the whole game and messed up every chance he got, and whatever you can say about Horseface he can certainly finish well. Netherlands needed a goal and didn't push hard enough to get it early in the half when they had the chance.
Remember van Persie's cross four minutes from time, when Kuyt got an inch from the ball? If van Nistelrooy had been striker that would have been 1-1.

FaaipDeOiad said:
Incidentally, I don't think you can really blame the ref for all the cards. It did get a bit ridiculous after a while, but the game was out of hand and he was trying to regain control, which was fair enough. Very different from Poll the other day.
If he'd handed a red card to Boulahrouz for the assault on Ronaldo it might have been different.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
and Figo getting away with that headbutt (and because he got a yellow even though the ref's back was turned he can't face further punishment)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Remember van Persie's cross four minutes from time, when Kuyt got an inch from the ball? If van Nistelrooy had been striker that would have been 1-1.
Precisely what I thought at the time. Kuyt is obviously a fairly popular guy in Holland, but he had a bad night and should not have played 90, and if he did he certainly should have had Van Nistlerooy as support.

Samuel_Vimes said:
If he'd handed a red card to Boulahrouz for the assault on Ronaldo it might have been different.
He also missed a blatant Dutch penalty in the first half. Really though, I don't think there was too much wrong with the reds he gave.

Blaze

Banned
Completely agree about Van Nistelrooy Faaip. It seems strange to use him all tournament and then leave him out of the second round match because the coach doesn't believe he is trying... At the very least he should have come on in the last 20 when it was obvious that Kuyt wasn't going to score a goal, he really was terrible...

I bet Van Nistelrooy would have looked more threatening and as you guys said above, he would have at least got a touch to Van Persie's cross near the end.

James

Cricket Web Owner
superkingdave said:
and Figo getting away with that headbutt (and because he got a yellow even though the ref's back was turned he can't face further punishment)
I heard from reports here (NZ) that FIFA will be looking into Figo's head-butt and he could be suspended from the England match.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
James said:
I heard from reports here (NZ) that FIFA will be looking into Figo's head-butt and he could be suspended from the England match.
That's what I heard too - although it was Terry Venables who said it so I'm tempted to discount the entire statement.

Cloete

International Captain
wow...

England looked ****. Beckham scored a good goal that's sure to be overplayed by every news company/sports show/sbs here because it's Beckham. Otherwise, England's midfield capitulated. They were extrmely poor with the exception of Carrick.

Crouch MUST play next game. Portugal and Holland were stupid though. What a **** game that looked like. England must surely make the semis now thanks to the Potruguese. I set the alarm and went back to sleep for their game, thank god I did.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cloete said:
Otherwise, England's midfield capitulated. They were extrmely poor with the exception of Carrick.
Erm. No. The key problem with the England midfield is the quality of the final through ball, which atm is awful. The rest of their game is fine, bar Lampard and his shots.

Cloete said:
Crouch MUST play next game.
So that England go back to 40 yard hit and hope passes? Pfft.

Cloete said:
Portugal and Holland were stupid though. What a **** game that looked like.
Essentially it became an utter farce with every challenge becoming a yellow. Got to thank Ivanov for getting Deco + Costinha banned though, also Figo's utter stupidity might get him banned too and Holland hurt Ronaldo....think the core of the Portugal team has been essentially knocked out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Argentina will eliminate Germany.

Australia will defeat Italy on penalty kicks tomorrow after drawing 1-1 in regulation, then 2-2 after extra time. Ukraine will defeat Switzerland 1-0. Australia will defeat Ukraine 1-0 and then beat Argentina 2-1 on a Cahill penalty kick.

The refereeing will be atrocious.

England will beat Portugal 1-0 on a Figo own goal. Brazil will beat Ghana 2-1 in the 89th minute after Adriano sneaks a goal despite being offside. Spain will defeat woeful France 2-0. Spain will then beat Brazil 3-1 in a stunning turn of events.

England will defeat Spain 2-1 on a Crouch header.

England will then meet Australia in the final in a football version of the Ashes. Just as in the cricket Ashes last year, Australia shall taste defeat. Frank Lampard shall sting the winner into the upper right hand side of the net from two yards outside the penalty area. Said winner shall come in the 79th minute.

Sorry for the spoilers.