Cricket Player Manager
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 LastLast

Thread: Round 16 and Beyond

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    "Dirty Terrorist" ?!!!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    For some reason I had baseball on last night and even the yanks were slamming how farcical it is to have the World Cup decided by penalties. This was the conversation roughly:

Old white guy: Did you watch the World Cup final Joe?
    Slightly younger black guy: Yes I did watch it, can't believe after 3 weeks [sic] of all that hard work it was decided by a penalty shootout. It's like the NBA being decided by foul throws
    Old white guy: In which case any team with Shaq in it is gonna lose

I concur. I just can't bring myself to give a toss when a team 'wins' by penalties, it's a joke.
    Yeah, it's a joke. I don't see why they can't just replay the game in a few days (much like the pre-final rounds of the FA Cup) when it is the final of the World Cup. With the earlier games it messes with the fixture, sure, but with the final, why have the biggest sporting event on earth decided like that?
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Yeah, it's a joke. I don't see why they can't just replay the game in a few days (much like the pre-final rounds of the FA Cup) when it is the final of the World Cup. With the earlier games it messes with the fixture, sure, but with the final, why have the biggest sporting event on earth decided like that?
    FIFA claim it's because the players want the matches decided one way or the other on the scheduled day as the alternative cuts into their off season.

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar

LOL @ the one of him running into a pole.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Haha, I love the top one, where his head glows. Cracks me up every time.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Marvellous
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    For some reason I had baseball on last night and even the yanks were slamming how farcical it is to have the World Cup decided by penalties. This was the conversation roughly:

Old white guy: Did you watch the World Cup final Joe?
    Slightly younger black guy: Yes I did watch it, can't believe after 3 weeks [sic] of all that hard work it was decided by a penalty shootout. It's like the NBA being decided by foul throws
    Old white guy: In which case any team with Shaq in it is gonna lose

I concur. I just can't bring myself to give a toss when a team 'wins' by penalties, it's a joke.
    Actually, that's a poor analogy. Points being scored is almost inevitable in basketball. When teams force an overtime in basketball, it's not boring but rather super-exciting (unlike in football). In comparison, it's very hard to score a deciding goal in football. You could make them play on forever, but it's pretty obvious that they get tired rather fast. That doesn't speak too well of the players' fitness, but one solution is to give longer breaks instead of non-stop action all the way. The other option is a golden goal and while that will bring attacking football, it may be (too) easily ruined by a botched penalty call or something of the sort. That other idea of playing it on another day would just kill the charm of the match. I don't think penalty kicks are as bad as they're made out to be, but when you have Henry, Zidane, Toni and Totti not participating, something's wrong. Then again, it's the players' and coach's fault.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    Actually, that's a poor analogy. Points being scored is almost inevitable in basketball. When teams force an overtime in basketball, it's not boring but rather super-exciting (unlike in football). In comparison, it's very hard to score a deciding goal in football. You could make them play on forever, but it's pretty obvious that they get tired rather fast. That doesn't speak too well of the players' fitness, but one solution is to give longer breaks instead of non-stop action all the way. The other option is a golden goal and while that will bring attacking football, it may be (too) easily ruined by a botched penalty call or something of the sort. That other idea of playing it on another day would just kill the charm of the match. I don't think penalty kicks are as bad as they're made out to be, but when you have Henry, Zidane, Toni and Totti not participating, something's wrong. Then again, it's the players' and coach's fault.
    It works in ice hockey, where a deciding goal is rather tricky to score (at least on the NHL's small grounds - I've seen some 0-0 results there too, which I've found amazing). Besides, tired players ought to make more mistakes, and because both teams are aware that no matter what they do there will be a golden goal at the end, there should really be no need to play all out defensive and wait for the inevitable penalty shoot-out.

I think, anyway.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Maybe you could stop the offside rule in extra time
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

That would make it harder to score, because defences would retreat so much

Which would leave more space for attackers.

You're not wrong, but the defences would have retreated so much there would be nowehere to aim, it would be stalemate. Interesting idea in theory but I couldn't see it working in practice

Taking a player off each side after certain points would be an interesting method

Breakout Champion!
    Added time multi-ball

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Added time multi-ball
    Stop taking Jimoein's ideas.

Thread Information