Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 and Beyond

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamee999
    So it's France vs Italy then!
    Forza Azzurri!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Pretty ordinary game, but the right result, both as a football fan & (crucially) an embittered Englishman.

Lots of teams indulge in a little gamesmanship, but really yer Portugese are a friggin' disgrace. Lovely to see the Salford Stepover King having a blub at the end too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Bit of a Euro 2000 deja vu this. France play Italy in the final after beating Portugal through a decidedly dodgy penalty. Can we expect another last minute goal in an inhumanely long amount of injury time?

Quote Originally Posted by The Baconator
    Bit of a Euro 2000 deja vu this. France play Italy in the final after beating Portugal through a decidedly dodgy penalty. Can we expect another last minute goal in an inhumanely long amount of injury time?
    I don't think it was that dodgy, in all honesty. Henry did Carvalho; Carvalho caught Henry's leg; penalty. Henry may've gone down easily, but so would anyone in the circs. Certainly more of a pen than (say) Neill on Grosso.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Pretty ordinary game, but the right result, both as a football fan & (crucially) an embittered Englishman.

Lots of teams indulge in a little gamesmanship, but really yer Portugese are a friggin' disgrace. Lovely to see the Salford Stepover King having a blub at the end too.
    So it was. Having missed the first 15 minutes, I was astonished to hear the French booing Sporting Ron every time he touched the ball. An unexpected show of loyalty towards the English, or had he indulged himself against the French by then?

I do think we need to challenge the notion of Big Phil's god-like genius. After beating no-one of any note to win the last WC with an obscenely talented Brazil side that most of the people of CW could have managed, we then see 2 Portugese defeats at home to Greece in Euro 2004 and now their apparently talented side play like this in the current WC. I'm not absolutely convinced that we missed a great deal when he turned us down.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    100% penalty, but of course some people will ignore that fact...

I must admit I only kept watching the last 10 minutes to see the camera focus on Ronaldo in tears after the game, and it wasn't shown.

Have to make do with this as best I can find for now (file name is the BBC's):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

If you was a resentful/mildly jealous (because they can actually progress with seemingly average players) England fan I thought you would want Portugal to win. Than your excuse could be “at least we lost to the winners”, instead of the stark realisation that are team lost to this ‘****’ side twice in two years.

I don't think it was that dodgy, in all honesty. Henry did Carvalho; Carvalho caught Henry's leg; penalty. Henry may've gone down easily, but so would anyone in the circs. Certainly more of a pen than (say) Neill on Grosso.
    Yeah you're probably right, touch of artistic license used I'd say,

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178

I must admit I only kept watching the last 10 minutes to see the camera focus on Ronaldo in tears after the game, and it wasn't shown.

Pot kettle black.

Sad indication on yourself Marc, watching a game of football primarily to watch a player cry. Sound like some sad **** who reads ‘The Sun’ and has a Ronaldo dart board on his door, which you probably do not use to throw darts at, know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    If you was a resentful/mildly jealous (because they can actually progress with seemingly average players) England fan I thought you would want Portugal to win. Than your excuse could be “at least we lost to the winners”, instead of the stark realisation that are team lost to this ‘****’ side twice in two years.
    Nah. **** 'em.

Much as I love penalty shoot-outs they are a fairly unreliable way of ensuring the best team goes through to the next round. We're crap at them, Portugal are obviously better.

In the same way there are two dozen '100% penalties' in each and every game as soon as a defender lays a finger on an opposing player's shirt... penalty.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

School Boy/Girl Captain atichon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    9.5... 9.0... 9.5... 9.5... 9.0

Chief Poseur dive 1 scores 90.0 points
    Wow, you really seem to hate him and I fail to understand why.

Maybe it gives a sense to your life. Fair enough, you could have chosen worse, you could play Scrabble

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    In the same way there are two dozen '100% penalties' in each and every game as soon as a defender lays a finger on an opposing player's shirt... penalty.
    You what?

We all know you have a xenophobic hatred of Henry, but even by your standards this is extreme.

That was a clear trip, end of story, not something that happens "24 times a game"

You what?

We all know you have a xenophobic hatred of Henry, but even by your standards this is extreme.

That was a clear trip, end of story, not something that happens "24 times a game"
    He just about knocked his shin enough so chief could notice and flop over in installments, so it follows you would give penalties for when someone puts their hand on a player because that's the sort of level of contact we're talking about here.

Still with your hatred of intelligence and logic you'll now go back to shoveling up something completely unrelated and pointless.

Oh and atichon if you had any semblance of intelligence you might find you enjoy the odd mental game, but unfortunately you'll just have to make do with seeing how hard you can ram your head into a locker door without knocking yourself out.

School Boy/Girl Captain atichon's Avatar
    Oh and atichon if you had any semblance of intelligence you might find you enjoy the odd mental game, but unfortunately you'll just have to make do with seeing how hard you can ram your head into a locker door without knocking yourself out.
    I can't have any semblance of intelligence, I'm french... and I'm called Thierry

Page 55 of 68 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread Information