• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
SupaFreak2005 said:
That was a brilliant strike! Goal of the tournament so far.
I like Argentina’s second against Serbia (and Joe’s strike against Sweden) but for sheer significance I think your right.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Did you not watch England vs Sweden? 8-)
Difference, the ball played to Cole's was far easier to control and second and most importantly no one was in sight of him. Also the GK (on this occasion) could have and possibly should have saved Cole's strike considering he got a pretty decent hand to it and under your guidelines of good GK had plenty of time to see it.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TT Boy said:
Difference, the ball played to Cole's was far easier to control and second and most importantly no one was in sight of him. Also the GK (on this occasion) could have and possibly should have saved Cole's strike considering he got a pretty decent hand to it and under your guidelines of good GK had plenty of time to see it.
But the distance means it was a lot easier for the GK to see it and get to it, which makes the strike more impressive.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
But the distance means it was a lot easier for the GK to see it and get to it, which makes the strike more impressive.
How does it, when a better GK or even a fit Isaksson would (should) have saved it.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Goal of the tournament for me is the second Argentina goal against Serbia, followed by tonight's Maxi shot and then Cole's against Sweden. Another awesome goal that hasn't been mentioned much is the team effort that Torres (I think) finished against Ukraine. Fourth Spain goal I believe. We've certainly had a lot of stunners though.

Amazes me that great goals like Deco's against Iran and Cahill's against Japan probably wouldn't even make the top 10 now.

Matteh

TT Boy said:
How does it, when a better GK or even a fit Isaksson would (should) have saved it.
Because he managed to put in near enough the exact spot where it's nigh on impossible to save it?

Matteh

FaaipDeOiad said:
Goal of the tournament for me is the second Argentina goal against Serbia, followed by tonight's Maxi shot and then Cole's against Sweden. Another awesome goal that hasn't been mentioned much is the team effort that Torres (I think) finished against Ukraine. Fourth Spain goal I believe. We've certainly had a lot of stunners though.

Amazes me that great goals like Deco's against Iran and Cahill's against Japan probably wouldn't even make the top 10 now.
Phillip Lahm's goal is one that i've not heard mentioned in awhile. That was something a bit special too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Because he managed to put in near enough the exact spot where it's nigh on impossible to save it?
So did Maxi's strike but lets agree to disagree Matteh. It is late, I have things to do and I am sure you have better things to do than pedantically argue about two equally good goals.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Maxi's was indeed the greatest strike and probably goal of the tournament. Joe Cole's was damn impressive as was Gerrard's. The very first goal of the tournament from Lahm should be up there but it looked a bit more of a fluke than the other ones.

There have been some insane team goal's as mentioned previously. Spain's fourth against Ukraine by Torres and the second Argentine goal against Serbia are both better than Cole's strike IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
I was in the toilet and missed Maxi's goal :(
That's still more important business than Maxi's goal !! :laugh:

Maxi Rodriguez's goal was absolutely brilliant , IMO not dissimilar to the famous Ronaldinho goal that found the net beating David Seaman, in terms of quality !!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
JASON said:
That's still more important business than Maxi's goal !! :laugh:

Maxi Rodriguez's goal was absolutely brilliant , IMO not dissimilar to the famous Ronaldinho goal that found the net beating David Seaman, in terms of quality !!
Cobblers. Maxi meant his. The buck-toothed client's fluke was nothing more than an ale-house punt.

/bitter Englishman mode.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless if Ronaldinho meant it, the two goals are still a world apart in terms of quality.

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
Shame, but fair play to the lad. Proud to call him a Gooner. Smashes his nose open scoring the opener & then dislocates his shoulder in the cause. From the Beeb's site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/switzerland/5113094.stm

Proper centre-half's hair-cut too: :happy:

Seeing the Phillppe Senderos fan club at Highbury is something I forget for a long time.

Especially more so that he was on the bench that day and he stayed there the whole match.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
I like Argentina’s second against Serbia (and Joe’s strike against Sweden) but for sheer significance I think your right.
Or even for sheer brilliance?

That was a pretty good game, and I got up in time and was getting ready to go on a training ride, but ended up sitting there watching the rest of the match as I felt I couldn't miss anything.

I know I said I wanted Italy to win, but having watched Argentina play thus far, and if I were a betting man I would be putting my cash on them to win the WC. They really do look good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
what kind of dry up football england playing, geez even if England win this one it will be another quarter-final exit if they don't SERIOUSLY IMPROVE.