• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It might be very petty of me, but I'm loving the crowd booing Chavnaldo every time the diving little pikey stroker touches the ball.

Nice to see Carvalho give the pen away too. God doesn't pay his debts with money....

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst watching the Germany v Italy game in the Salzburg fan park last night (firmly in support of Germany whilst wearing an Australia cricket shirt) the sheer ****tishness of the Italians made me want to see them not win even more....Couple of bottles were thrown, and then they led a parade which essentially saw them kicking bins over in the old part of the city. Fair enough you're happy you won but there's no need to be a prat about it.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Getting the slightest knock doesn't stop it being a dive, all it means is that instead of it being cheating it's gamesmanship.
Foul in area = Penalty.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well an extremely ordinary and toothless Portugal side aren't rescued by a manager with the biggest earnings to competence ratio on this planet this time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty ordinary game, but the right result, both as a football fan & (crucially) an embittered Englishman.

Lots of teams indulge in a little gamesmanship, but really yer Portugese are a friggin' disgrace. Lovely to see the Salford Stepover King having a blub at the end too. :D

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Bit of a Euro 2000 deja vu this. France play Italy in the final after beating Portugal through a decidedly dodgy penalty. Can we expect another last minute goal in an inhumanely long amount of injury time?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Baconator said:
Bit of a Euro 2000 deja vu this. France play Italy in the final after beating Portugal through a decidedly dodgy penalty. Can we expect another last minute goal in an inhumanely long amount of injury time?
I don't think it was that dodgy, in all honesty. Henry did Carvalho; Carvalho caught Henry's leg; penalty. Henry may've gone down easily, but so would anyone in the circs. Certainly more of a pen than (say) Neill on Grosso.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Pretty ordinary game, but the right result, both as a football fan & (crucially) an embittered Englishman.

Lots of teams indulge in a little gamesmanship, but really yer Portugese are a friggin' disgrace. Lovely to see the Salford Stepover King having a blub at the end too. :D
So it was. Having missed the first 15 minutes, I was astonished to hear the French booing Sporting Ron every time he touched the ball. An unexpected show of loyalty towards the English, or had he indulged himself against the French by then?

I do think we need to challenge the notion of Big Phil's god-like genius. After beating no-one of any note to win the last WC with an obscenely talented Brazil side that most of the people of CW could have managed, we then see 2 Portugese defeats at home to Greece in Euro 2004 and now their apparently talented side play like this in the current WC. I'm not absolutely convinced that we missed a great deal when he turned us down.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
100% penalty, but of course some people will ignore that fact...

I must admit I only kept watching the last 10 minutes to see the camera focus on Ronaldo in tears after the game, and it wasn't shown.

Have to make do with this as best I can find for now (file name is the BBC's):

Attachments

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:

If you was a resentful/mildly jealous (because they can actually progress with seemingly average players) England fan I thought you would want Portugal to win. Than your excuse could be “at least we lost to the winners”, instead of the stark realisation that are team lost to this ‘****’ side twice in two years.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think it was that dodgy, in all honesty. Henry did Carvalho; Carvalho caught Henry's leg; penalty. Henry may've gone down easily, but so would anyone in the circs. Certainly more of a pen than (say) Neill on Grosso.
Yeah you're probably right, touch of artistic license used I'd say,

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
100% penalty, but of course some people will ignore that fact...

I must admit I only kept watching the last 10 minutes to see the camera focus on Ronaldo in tears after the game, and it wasn't shown.

Have to make do with this as best I can find for now (file name is the BBC's):
Pot kettle black.

Sad indication on yourself Marc, watching a game of football primarily to watch a player cry. Sound like some sad **** who reads ‘The Sun’ and has a Ronaldo dart board on his door, which you probably do not use to throw darts at, know what I mean. :naughty:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
If you was a resentful/mildly jealous (because they can actually progress with seemingly average players) England fan I thought you would want Portugal to win. Than your excuse could be “at least we lost to the winners”, instead of the stark realisation that are team lost to this ‘****’ side twice in two years.
Nah. **** 'em.

Much as I love penalty shoot-outs they are a fairly unreliable way of ensuring the best team goes through to the next round. We're crap at them, Portugal are obviously better.