• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Italy need to get their finger out in this second period of ET, I think we all know who're going to be overwhelming favourites if it goes to penalties...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Italy have almost as bad a record as England when it comes to penalties, so they'd better hope it doesn't go that far.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wonderful stuff. Grosso's winner is as stunning as anything I can recall, given the circumstances. Penalties and the inevitable German win would have been criminal given how they were largely outplayed tonight. Ballack, it has to be said, did absolutely nothing ...

EDIT
Er... why are the Germans singing "You'll never walk alone" ???

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Harsh on Germany, who have had a very good tournament, and aren't responsible for robbing Australia of a shot at the last four, but Italy were marginally the better team on the night, despite a fairly poor second half. Wonderful goals to finish one of the better knockout matches this WC.

Go France, I say.

Agent TBY

International Captain
That commentator for me was the most annoying thing about the whole match. Alex Del Piero? That's not his frickin' name. His real name was displayed on the screen. Read it out!! He kept saying it over and over again, to boot.

What next? George Klinnsman? Mark Lippi? Frank Beckenbauer? Pete?

EDIT: Anyone else notice how this is an exact replay of what happened at Euro 2000? Italy in the final, and France v Portugal in the semi-final.

David Trezeguet to score the World Cup winning goal.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Agent TBY said:
That commentator for me was the most annoying thing about the whole match. Alex Del Piero? That's not his frickin' name. His real name was displayed on the screen. Read it out!! He kept saying it over and over again, to boot.

What next? George Klinnsman? Mark Lippi? Frank Beckenbauer? Pete?
Which commentator did you get? Watching from India I presume?

We have Martin Tyler, and I'm pretty sure he called him Alex too, though only once that I heard. :p

Good commentator though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The commentry we had in Britain was one of the worst I've ever heard just because they were so painfully stupid. They're so ****sure as well. You had one incident where they're saying nothing touched some guy's head when he was holding it as the footballing fairies do, then the replay comes on and shows a knee clouted into it. Then you've got them saying how the game was played in great spirit despite the players rolling around like fairies as usual and the defending being as cynical as ever. All the game we also had to put up with them saying how great the referee was just because he didn't give yellow cards out for blatant and cynical take-outs (the referee was good but too soft).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What a game, what a finale. As Virgil observed ‘Fortune favours the brave’ and the Italians were worthy winners because of their commitment to attack and not allow such a great game of football be ‘spoiled’ by dreaded penalties.

Fabio Grosso’s celebration was Tardelli like and his performances throughout the tournament have been admirable. When you consider he only ‘became’ a left back very late in his career and spent most of his younger days knocking around in Serie C2 and B, sublime finish also.

Also may add thought the ref was fantastic tonight, in a tournament where good officiating has not been paramount, was nice to see a game of football allowed to flow so fluently.

Forza Italia!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Three teams full of nancy's left in the tournament now. Shame.
? Marco Materazzi, Daniele De Rossi, Simone Barone, Gennaro Gattuso are pretty hard and dirty customers. Doubt you find (other than Australia of course) a more ’willing’ team to get rough with.

Agent TBY

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Which commentator did you get? Watching from India I presume?

We have Martin Tyler, and I'm pretty sure he called him Alex too, though only once that I heard. :p

Good commentator though.
Some guy, I can't recall his name right now. And the colour commentator was a guy called Rodney Marsh. :mellow:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Harsh on Germany, who have had a very good tournament, and aren't responsible for robbing Australia of a shot at the last four, but Italy were marginally the better team on the night, despite a fairly poor second half. Wonderful goals to finish one of the better knockout matches this WC.

Go France, I say.
Neither are Italy, also whose to say you would have beaten Ukraine.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Agent TBY said:
Some guy, I can't recall his name right now. And the colour commentator was a guy called Rodney Marsh. :mellow:
:sick:

Listening to Talksport I presume, who were probably just broadcasting from some hotel room in Germany.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I don't have a clue, to be honest. I always thought we'd be hearing Martin Tyler and Andy Gray like all the Sky Sports-fed Premier League matches.