• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
And that is the truth of the matter.

Some people are seriously letting bias cloud their views.
Only natural I guess some people are not rational or logically like are good selves.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Only natural I guess some people are not rational or logically like are good selves.
Yes, because "what else do you expect from a northern peasant" is rational and reasoned.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Umm, he stomped on someone's nuts and then turned around and shoved someone in the chest when the referee made a call against him for it?

A red card may or may not have been harsh, depending on what he said, but I very much doubt it was "terribly sorry, mate". If he didn't want to get sent off he shouldn't have acted like a complete moron after the foul.
Sorry still cant see it. One of the worst decisions Ive seen regarding a straight red ever.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Sorry still cant see it. One of the worst decisions Ive seen regarding a straight red ever.
I'll break it down then. If you commit a foul, particularly a serious one that might have been worthy of a yellow card, and then you show clear dissent after the decision, and even resort to acting out your frustration with another foul on a nearby player, you run the risk of being red carded. There was nothing the least bit surpising about the call, as soon as he stood up after the foul and started acting like an idiot I figured he'd be gone.

If, as one might imagine, he also verbally abused nearby players and/or the referee, it'd be an absolute no-brainer to send him off.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yes, because "what else do you expect from a northern peasant" is rational and reasoned.
Maybe it's not, but his general point is correct.

I don't really think it was a sending-off, but England still had chances, should have taken them, and really have themselves to blame. I also don't overly blame Christiano Ronaldo. The majority of players these days attempt to get people sent off, there are probably more than a couple of our side who would've tried.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Of course it is, his a peasant, simple mind simple actions et cetera. You can not get more logically than that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah. What Ronaldo did was pretty low, but it was no worse than what plenty of other players would do.

I thought England were pretty unlucky, but they didn't manage to score a goal in 120 minutes and seemed happy to go to penalties at the end, so you have to expect that a loss in the shootout is a possibility. It's unfortunate that Rooney got himself sent off, because with the performance of Crouch I think it's likely England would have scored with him on the pitch.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Also, I think a lot of people saw how good a defender Gary Neville is today. England were an infinitely better side for his presence, and IMO he's been a world-class defender for years, but rather like Hoggard in the England team never used to get the praise he deserved.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Of course it is, his a peasant, simple mind simple actions et cetera. You can not get more logically than that.
Actually, he's clearly not a peasant, but regardless it is not at all rational to blame someone's unacceptable behaviour on the region in which they were born.

Anyway, I'm off to watch hopefully the first entertaining quarter-final now. Brazil 2-0 for mine.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'll break it down then. If you commit a foul, particularly a serious one that might have been worthy of a yellow card, and then you show clear dissent after the decision, and even resort to acting out your frustration with another foul on a nearby player, you run the risk of being red carded. There was nothing the least bit surpising about the call, as soon as he stood up after the foul and started acting like an idiot I figured he'd be gone.

If, as one might imagine, he also verbally abused nearby players and/or the referee, it'd be an absolute no-brainer to send him off.
Well Ill be honest and admit I didnt really see the verbals. But he was fouled first was off balance leading to him accidently stepping on the player and then giving a gentle push.

The push and the stepping were not worthy of any cards. Far worse happens all the time.

The verbals, I cannot condone, though harsh for a straight red. I still do not believe it happened and believe me I have no bias. Did i want England to win?, of course ,but I would have been equally shocked if it had been the other way around.

I think allround it was a shocker, I guess we will differ in opinion.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
Makes sense - tbh dealing with the kids meant I didn't have the best view of it.

Up to a point. For all SGE's failings, he isn't to blame for the fact that even in this game we spent most of the 1st hour taking turns to pass the ball to the portugese or just kick it out of play. I hold the manager responsible for not seeing past the mythology about our "world class" midfielders and being brave enough to replacing Lampard and/or Beckham with people who aren't past it and are in form. But the quality of players at his disposal has been massively overstated.
It has been repeatedly shown from friendlies and other games that England are rubbish when they play 4-5-1, so while you could blame the players for being rubbish in that formation you have to blame the vegetable for playing that formation. You can also blame the players for having a habit of wanting to hit the long ball, but to me a manager should be playing whatever system best suits the team and I felt all along England were trying to play an unnatural game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Actually, he's clearly not a peasant, but regardless it is not at all rational to blame someone's unacceptable behaviour on the region in which they were born.

Do you live in the 18th century? (Does gay mean happy?) I'm not going by bank balance. The word peasant has far more connotations and meanings than just social status. Uneducated people which Rooney is (no matter what his current social status is) can be classified as peasants if their actions and taste are of a simple and antediluvian like way. Sleeping with 60 year old whores, stamping on people’s ********, are classic characteristics of the 21st century peasantry.

Apologies for the northern comment though, I have family which live and originate from Liverpool, so no disrespect I actually like scousers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He's Northern, but he's clearly not a peasant. For what it's worth, i'd take a team of Northern England over Southern England anyday.

Anyhow I don't think it was a red, if the stamp was deliberate then yes, it's a red offence, but I don't think it was, and the referee can't have seen that too well. So if you're saying his push was worthy of a red - see Figo's headbutt last Sunday.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TT Boy said:
Do you live in the 18th century? (Does gay mean happy?) I'm not going by bank balance. The word peasant has far more connotations and meanings than just social status. Uneducated people which Rooney is (no matter what his current social status is) can be classified as peasants if their actions and taste are of a simple and antediluvian like way. Sleeping with 60 year old whores, stamping on people’s ********, are classic characteristics of the 21st century peasantry.

Apologies for the northern comment though, I have family which live and originate from Liverpool, so no disrespect I actually like scousers.
Fair enough. Still, there's a difference between unintelligent and uneducated.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
He's Northern, but he's clearly not a peasant. For what it's worth, i'd take a team of Northern England over Southern England anyday.

Anyhow I don't think it was a red, if the stamp was deliberate then yes, it's a red offence, but I don't think it was, and the referee can't have seen that too well. So if you're saying his push was worthy of a red - see Figo's headbutt last Sunday.
Sigh.

If his not, why not?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Fair enough. Still, there's a difference between unintelligent and uneducated.
Yes but his both, unintelligent and uneducated so it matters little.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
aussie said:
damn right, they say he may be going to Real Madrid he is better off going there because Man U fans especially are never going to support him again.
He's not behaved like that for a while now under Fergie but for Portugal he seems to revert to his natural instincts.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
He's not behaved like that for a while now under Fergie but for Portugal he seems to revert to his natural instincts.
Seems to play better for Portugal as well, strange that.