• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Hehehe. The boy just did exactly what he does for Manure, except in a Portugal shirt.
that may be so, but he will know what will be coming his way if he stay at Manchester United.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goughy said:
Who would have thought the day would come when I would want Germany to win the WC. The long term issues with the Med countries and S. Americans continue to be true and ruin football for the honest man.
I'm not flame baiting here, but what was honest about what Rooney did? Or was that fair play?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
anyway at least this means i can relax and enjoy the rest of the WC, would like to see Brazil - Germany final and 3-2 either way.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
anyway, for the brief time after Beckham went off and Rooney was red carded, we played our best football of the tournament imo, and even when Rooney went off we were more dangerous going forward. Hargreaves was very good, as was surprising Crouch when he came on.

Interesting how the first corner after Beckham went off was pretty much our first dangerous corner of the tournament and Lampard(barn door) should have scored from it.
Yup - I'm not convinced that it's a coincidence that we improved immeasurably after Backham came off. As you say, Crouch was remarkably good too, although I have no idea how he didn't outjump his marker in front of an open goal from Gerrard's cross in extra time.

Basically though, we were up against it for the 2nd time in 3 WC's due to Old Trafford Syndrome. However harsh the ref was, you don't give them the chance to send you off if you keep your hands to yourself and refrain from retaliating. Unfortunately, Rooney's had the same message as Cantona, Keane, Becks & others that you can do what you want & blame the rest of the world for picking on you if anyone has the temerity to stand up to you. 9 times of ouf 10 in the premiership you can get away with that sort of behaviour. Elsewhere, you can't. Doesn't alter the fact that Ronaldo is complete scum, but we knew that anyway.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
I'm not flame baiting here, but what was honest about what Rooney did? Or was that fair play?
Are we talking about the push or the stepping?

The stepping was accidental and the ref was going to take no punishiment and the push was nothing.

If we are talking why the push was honest, then it was because it was face to face. No cheating or backhandedness. Deal with things how men do. Which should be man to man rather than cheating.

Rooney did NOTHING wrong at all, it was a disgrace.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goughy said:
Deal with things how men do.
Are we talking about the same sport here? Oh of course, we see footballers acting like 'men' all the time don't we?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Are we talking about the same sport here? Oh of course, we see footballers acting like 'men' all the time don't we?
Refer you to my comments about Med players and S. Americans. Its getting worse and spreading throughout the world and this cancer is why I find it hard to watch a football game anymore.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Does not change the fact that a gentle push to the chest is not a sending off offense

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
What else do you expect from a Northern peasant? There is no way we should be taking some sort of moral high ground considering what he did. We were not cheated out of the game, we had the opportunities and we failed to take them, simple as that.

Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard taking penalties also, says it all really. Lampard did sweet FA (all WC). Owen Hargreaves has one thing going for him a tank, poor distribution and a lack of creative vision, plays like a headless chicken, no composure or time with the ball and is pretty reckless in the challenge but he was probably one of are better players today.

Awful way to go out but we wouldn’t have it any other way, another false down comes to an end.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Portugal must have broken the record for the most premiership flops on the same pitch.

What the hell was Felipao doing taking off Pauleta and playing Ronaldo up front by himself. That's a worse decision than anything from Pekerman. He is v. lucky they won.

Nice possum stomp from Rooney.

Man U fans pushing out their only midfielder is going to be fun to watch :cool:

Here's to an entertaining Brazil-France game. I can't say I really care who wins.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
Yup - I'm not convinced that it's a coincidence that we improved immeasurably after Backham came off. As you say, Crouch was remarkably good too, although I have no idea how he didn't outjump his marker in front of an open goal from Gerrard's cross in extra time.
Because he was behind the marker, so he could have jumped as high as he liked the defender still cuts it out first.

Anyway if Rooney was indeed sent off for the push that is a disgrace, but it didn't really alter anything because England weren't winning the World Cup under the vegetable.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
What else do you expect from a Northern peasant? There is no way we should be taking some sort of moral high ground considering what he did.
Sorry confused here, what the hell did he do? Ive asked 3 times no and noone has answered. He did nothing wrong at all.

And dont call me a Northern peasant please, I take offense to it.

EDIT- Unless you are talking about Rooney rather than reference to myself and my post then ok, I still take offense

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway will be interesting to see if chief poseur can time his runs today instead of being caught offside needlessly over and over again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Because he was behind the marker, so he could have jumped as high as he liked the defender still cuts it out first. .
Makes sense - tbh dealing with the kids meant I didn't have the best view of it.

Scaly piscine said:
Anyway if Rooney was indeed sent off for the push that is a disgrace, but it didn't really alter anything because England weren't winning the World Cup under the vegetable.
Up to a point. For all SGE's failings, he isn't to blame for the fact that even in this game we spent most of the 1st hour taking turns to pass the ball to the portugese or just kick it out of play. I hold the manager responsible for not seeing past the mythology about our "world class" midfielders and being brave enough to replacing Lampard and/or Beckham with people who aren't past it and are in form. But the quality of players at his disposal has been massively overstated.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
TT Boy said:
What else do you expect from a Northern peasant? There is no way we should be taking some sort of moral high ground considering what he did. We were not cheated out of the game, we had the opportunities and we failed to take them, simple as that.
And that is the truth of the matter.

Some people are seriously letting bias cloud their views.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Sorry confused here, what the hell did he do? Ive asked 3 times no and noone has answered. He did nothing wrong at all.

Stamped sorry accidentally stamped on a bloke's ********. Also only calling a spade a spade.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:

Umm, he stomped on someone's nuts and then turned around and shoved someone in the chest when the referee made a call against him for it?

A red card may or may not have been harsh, depending on what he said, but I very much doubt it was "terribly sorry, mate". If he didn't want to get sent off he shouldn't have acted like a complete moron after the foul.