• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Cloete

International Captain
aussie said:
looking at the Koreans i'm pretty sure they will win that group, dont think the swiss even though are group leaders currently will beat them & even though France have been relatively poor i'd back them to beat Togo.
I'm going to be filthy if the Koreans get through. I want to punch the TV every time I see them play, let alone every time they get an unwarranted free kick :@

Scaly piscine said:
Playing any formation bar 4-4-2 against Ecuador just gives Ecuador a much greater chance of pulling off a 1-0 type victory. England have to impose their style of play on teams and play to their own strengths, it's no good playing to their weaknesses - you won't win the World Cup consistently playing rubbish unless you're Germany.

Owen had been fairly rubbish anyway, whilst Crouch had been better and Rooney is Rooney - I don't see why all of a sudden England should switch to 1 up front. Hargreaves had one decent game, but gives away too many needless free kicks which would cost England sooner or later.
Shoot me. I agree with that entirely. Very well said I must say. The only thing I don't agree with is Hargreaves giving away to many free kicks. He'll prove his worth against Ecuador IMO. A solid defensive mid. England must play a 4-4-2 Diamond though. It's so stereotypical and perhaps so "boring" (in terms of their tactical changes) but it's what they know and what they're good at.

Now that Aus are through I can stop feeling jealousy towards England and support a team that I do like. I'll just celebrate a bit then stick cotton wool in my ears if they win it :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Midfield diamond?

How exactly would that work?
Presumably it'd be Hargreaves in the defensive role, and Gerrard or Lampard going forward? Beckham on the right and Joe Cole on the left, obviously.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Presumably it'd be Hargreaves in the defensive role, and Gerrard or Lampard going forward? Beckham on the right and Joe Cole on the left, obviously.
Biggest problem with that is that you seem to be expecting Joe Cole to play as a wide man.

All well and good, but you have already said that you are playing two strikers AND an attacking midfield player in the centre.

So, key question - how is Cole going to have any influence?

He doesn't ever attempt to beat a man on the outside - he always cuts inside. This will put four players inside in very similar areas when it's screaming out for width.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Biggest problem with that is that you seem to be expecting Joe Cole to play as a wide man.

All well and good, but you have already said that you are playing two strikers AND an attacking midfield player in the centre.

So, key question - how is Cole going to have any influence?

He doesn't ever attempt to beat a man on the outside - he always cuts inside. This will put four players inside in very similar areas when it's screaming out for width.
Hey it's not my idea, I'm just explaining what I think Cloete meant. :p

By the way, isn't that the role that Ashley Cole would have? To push forward and give a wider option if Joe goes to the centre? What Cloete suggested isn't all that different from what was used against Sweden for most of the match, with Crouch and Rooney up forward, and Lampard supporting them while Hargreaves played a more defensive role in the middle.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
Shoot me. I agree with that entirely. Very well said I must say. The only thing I don't agree with is Hargreaves giving away to many free kicks. He'll prove his worth against Ecuador IMO. A solid defensive mid.
Disagree. An average player who doesnt offer much. He does give away too many freekicks (he is clumsy) and his passing is poor. Even if he does only pass sideways the quality is poor.

I honestly think he is a liability.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Problem being that that drops one of Lampard and Gerrard, which clearly doesn't fit in with Sven (or in this case Scaly)'s thinking.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Problem being that that drops one of Lampard and Gerrard, which clearly doesn't fit in with Sven (or in this case Scaly)'s thinking.
Well, that's why were discussing who would be dropped earlier in the thread. Hargreaves was excellent against Sweden, and Lampard and Gerrard haven't worked together at all, so it seems like a reasonable move. Lampard can always come off the bench if it isn't working out.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
Games in the Round of 16

1) Germany : Sweeden - Munich; 25th June, 1:00am AEST
2) Argentina : Mexico - Leipzig; 25th June, 5:00am AEST

3) England : Ecuador - Stuttgart; 26th June, 1:00am AEST
4) Portugal : Netherlands - Nuremberg; 26th June, 5:00am AEST

5) Italy : Australia - Kaiserslautern; 27th June, 1:00am AEST
6) Switzerland : Ukraine - Cologne; 27th June, 5:00am AEST

7) Brazil : Ghana - Dortmund; 28th June, 1:00am AEST
8) Spain : France - Hanover; June 28th, 5:00am AEST

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
4, 6 and 8 the hard ones to pick, obviously. I'd go for Netherlands, Switzerland and Spain. I don't think Sweden have looked anywhere near good enough to beat Germany, and Argentina, England and Brazil should cruise through.

Got a feeling that if there is a major upset it'll be Australia getting up over Italy in extra time or on penalties, but that could be my bias talking. Hiddink has a history of it at the least, and Italy don't look all that crash hot.

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
agreed, but if Italy have a good game...like against USA....then Australia will be very lucky to win that

Lets just hope that Italy have a shocker!!

Cloete

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hey it's not my idea, I'm just explaining what I think Cloete meant. :p

By the way, isn't that the role that Ashley Cole would have? To push forward and give a wider option if Joe goes to the centre? What Cloete suggested isn't all that different from what was used against Sweden for most of the match, with Crouch and Rooney up forward, and Lampard supporting them while Hargreaves played a more defensive role in the middle.
Yeah that's it. Cole naturally drifts out but he and Beckham can tuck in while Neville and A Cole overlap. Not that much of a problem with Carragher playing as Beckham prefers to hug the touchline anyway. I'd go Gerrard over Lampard who has really failed to impress me this tournament. I'd have Hargreaves in at DM then. We'll see though. If he gets found out against Ecuador then you throw him out, but he could definitely become a solid player for England if he doesn't.