• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

Cloete

International Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
People seem to have very short memories around here sometimes. I remember the Multan match last winter when England were looking good for victory, as soon as it changed and it was clear Pak were winning on came a handfull of Aussies to have a chuckle, I remember Linda (not picking on her it's just an example) having nothing at all to do with the thread and just popping in to laugh at the Poms. I didn't mind because well, it's to be expected and it's banter really.

Live by the sword...you know the rest.
I think the touchy thing is that the World Cup's so much bigger than one game of test cricket.

Aside from that Aus and Eng are both very proud and patriotic countries with strong afilliations as well as a "love-hate" relationship. Many people often see one side of the coin. The many people who see both can also be riled at times like that though. Also the other thing to remember is that both parties are just as guilty, mane people just want to see the other nation bow out.

The example from Multan is a good one, but it's been going on for ages on here and it's been both sides of the stories. I'm 100% certain it will continue to do so though. Sometimes you can smile about it, this is one of those times for me personally :(

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Cloete said:
I think the touchy thing is that the World Cup's so much bigger than one game of test cricket.

Aside from that Aus and Eng are both very proud and patriotic countries with strong afilliations as well as a "love-hate" relationship. Many people often see one side of the coin. The many people who see both can also be riled at times like that though. Also the other thing to remember is that both parties are just as guilty, mane people just want to see the other nation bow out.

The example from Multan is a good one, but it's been going on for ages on here and it's been both sides of the stories. I'm 100% certain it will continue to do so though. Sometimes you can smile about it, this is one of those times for me personally :(
I can understand that.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
England need to beat Argentina (their likely opponent in the Semi ) .

I hope for England's sake that Germany v Argentina is fiery affair and at least 2 Argentinians (preferably Maxi Rodriguesz and Rechelme or Lionel Messi or even Tevez :laugh: ) get Red carded . (Not sure if yellow cards get wiped out by the Semi's )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
All cards stand now until the end
That's great because, IIRC there are quite a few Argentinians with Yellow , so all thats needed is for those on Yellow to get another Yellow and hopefully one or two Reds.:)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I get it, you support Scotland at everything, except Cricket where England are "we" :laugh: :laugh:

:)
I support Scotland in the sports I least care about, because a) England tend to play them in a boring fashion and b) I've got scottish blood and hey, someone has to support them. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
steds said:
I support Scotland in the sports I least care about, because a) England tend to play them in a boring fashion and b) I've got scottish blood and hey, someone has to support them. :)
Haha fair play, good reasons! :)

Craig

World Traveller
It would be fitting if Italy and Argentina meet in the semi final with the amount of Argentines who play in Serie A, and one who was born in Argentina but plays for Italy, the amount of Argentines in the team who have Italian hertiage (Burdisso, Scaloni, Mascherano, Abbonzeri, Franco, Cambiasso etc.).

Cloete

International Captain
Craig said:
It would be fitting if Italy and Argentina meet in the semi final with the amount of Argentines who play in Serie A, and one who was born in Argentina but plays for Italy, the amount of Argentines in the team who have Italian hertiage (Burdisso, Scaloni, Mascherano, Abbonzeri, Franco, Cambiasso etc.).
Not to mention the obvious Internazionale connections? ;)

Craig

World Traveller
Too true :laugh:

Marco Materazzi, a soon to be Inter team-mate in Fabio Grosso, a couple of former Inter players in Fabio Cannavaro (Judas :mad:), Andrea Pirlo (logic in selling both to help your rivals is where?), and possibily Simone Barone, as well as Luca Toni. It could be more depending on what happens to Juventus, Milan, Fiorentina, and Nazio.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
well we are at the stage where the games just get beter and better and i think australia football and football in general are all winners. no one needs to say who holds the current tropheys for union, the ashes etc. lets just get on with a wonderful sporting moment for the next week and a bit and enjoy it guys, cause after this its another 2 years to euro and 4 to the enxt world cup. ( but we do have epl in august wooooohoooooo)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Why is it ironic?

The referee in that opening game was pathetic, the referee last night followed the letter of the law.
Oh, so the fact that Crouch was continually getting pinged for backing into defenders and using his arms to get an advantage was because the refereeing was pathetic? If you're going to play the "letter of the law" card then you have to apply it to both games. You aren't allowed to use your arms, so by the letter of the law the fouls were correctly given, even if it was pedantic.

And reading some of the comments made after your game vs Paraguay, it's a bit rich for the English to take the "referee was doing his job" line when the decisions go against a different team:

luckyeddie said:
I seldom moan about officials, but today I shall make an exception - today's referee is as close to being an effing cheat as I have seen in international football for a few years. Some of his decisions have been baffling to say the least.
Matteh said:
Was ridiculous the amount of fouls given against Crouch for no reason, Parades is basically a moron. Whoever decided to referee a Hispanic country with an entire team of Hispanic officials is a moron. *sigh*
marc71178 said:
I was concerned they'd get a penalty courtesy of the number 13 - the biggest cheat I've seen in a long time.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
Now you've felt the pain of a referee knocking you out of a major tournament, the learning process can begin. :p

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me which Family Guy quote I've adapted there. ;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
Pathetic? What I am is completely sick of your poaching comments in regard to New Zealand sport. As I explained in FULL detail on the other thread, it's a complete lack of knowledge of New Zealand's multi-cultural society.

Put it this way - it would be as silly as me suggesting Mahmood, Panesar and Ramprakash are out and out poaches on the part of England cricket.

It's something that annoys the absolute hell out of any All Black supporters, because it is YOUR press that continues to spout untruths about the origin of our players.

You stop making the posts, and I'll stop reacting. If you do keep posting in this vein, I'll have to - despite your past record as an excellent poster - consider you little better than a wind-up merchant.

Although I'm sure that doesn't worry you much.
Well, that's told me then, hasn't it?

When I made joking reference to the All Blacks, your completely ridiculous, over the top and totally predictable response was entirely expected - if you care to relate back to the stimulus that elicited that particular salivating response, Pavlov, you will see that I even mentioned the number of non-English English cricketers in my original remark.

Surely that would have made even the most stupid professional journalist (your reference to my pal Alan, although you seemed a little too comfortable in tossing that epithet around for my liking) realise that the remark was a complete and utter giggle? Evidently not, by your (again totally predictable) response this time.

Oh, whatever. I look forward to 'War and Peace' in response.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Now, moving on, have the teams for the next games been named yet?

If he's playing, Viera to try and break Fabregas' legs inside an hour...