• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

James

Cricket Web Owner
James said:
Geez mate, why did you have to do this after my initial warning to you :mellow:

I won't enjoy doing this one bit but you've forced my hand - seven day ban. :(
I've reversed the ban on Simon due to his management involvement with World Club Cricket (WCC) on Cricket Web and the responsibilities he has in keeping that running.

He's received a strict warning and has been handed this in good faith.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gee, what a surprise.

An Italian dives and the incompetent ref hands the world's most corrupt sporting nation a gift.

And people wonder why soccer has never achieved universal acceptance in OZ

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
social said:
Gee, what a surprise.

An Italian dives and the incompetent ref hands the world's most corrupt sporting nation a gift.

And people wonder why soccer has never achieved universal acceptance in OZ

haha funny how since the juventus thing has come out that they are just the biggest cheats in the world. and when something like last night happens we know that it was a crap dive. funny how times change. Go portugal.......hehehe or england or germany or brazil hahahahah

the ozzies done us proud giddy up........

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Yes, after the challenge his arms were indeed protesting innocence.

A bit like after the challegne Materazzi wasn't near the bloke he fouled...
Seriously though, **** off.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
So your evidence that Neill attempted to make a challenge on the player is that he claimed he didn't? Excellent argument there.
No, I asked what he did with his arms, you showed a picture after the event, which clearly is irrelevant to the challenge.

FaaipDeOiad said:
He was stationary on the ground and not attempting to win the ball, and the player could easily have avoided him and instead chose to run straight into him in an attempt to win a penalty. What Neill did with his arms has no relevance whatsoever to whether or not it was a foul.
Except he did lift his arm/shoulder up towards Grosso as Grosso went towards him - hence he was not stationery.

Hence the penalty decision was correct.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sir Redman said:
To be honest I expected a lot more cursing from Australian fans. Most of them have taken it pretty well. And it's ironic that certain Englishmen have been having a go at the Aussies attacking the ref, considering some of the comments they made after their team beat Paraguay.
Why is it ironic?

The referee in that opening game was pathetic, the referee last night followed the letter of the law.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
Marc - apparently knows more than soccer experts.
Marc, qualified football referee who thus knows the laws and therefore knows that that challenge was a foul, and hence a penalty.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
His arms? Neill? He was holding them up to protest his innocence. What does that have to do with whether or not he made a challenge on the player?

TBF a defender holding his hands up like that is universal sign language for "I'm commiting a foul".

Any defender who does that is automatically going to attract the ref's attention because it shows he's worried about being "done" by a striker going over. Doesn't make diving right, but, as I said before, it isn't a secret some players attempt to "earn" penalties & free-kicks.

Is there an argument for a video ref, perhaps? Harder in Association Football than Rugby because it doesn't have Rugby's natural breaks in play, but the ref could always play on til the next break in play & then refer it for a look. Doesn't seem fair to me that 4 years hard work is undone by one bad call from an official.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
My view - the red card was bunk and the penalty was bunk. Neither should have been given. Australia dominated possession, though Italy had a few better chances on goal, not many mind, none that really looked like going in, especially without Kalac. :D At the end of 90 minutes, a draw would have been a very, very fair result, and Australia had all the momentum and the two substitutes going into extra-time. Italy did not deserve to win the match in regular time, and the amount of diving must surely be a huge reason why Australians haven`t fully accepted soccer as yet.

Worse than that, my Swiss girlfriend`s team didn`t fair heaps well either, so now we`re both miserable. :laugh:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
And for the record - I love Kiwis. The way you have all got behind Australia is extremely admirable, may we join, enter forth and multiply. Seriously though, it`s been great to see, most unlike a few English fans.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Marc, qualified football referee who thus knows the laws and therefore knows that that challenge was a foul, and hence a penalty.
8-)

Anyways... I really enjoyed following Australia throughout this world cup, not for the games or anything (after all, it's soccer), but for the feeling that we were always underdogs. Normally (with the sports I follow) Australia are expected to either win or do really well, but with soccer there was almost no expectations, so I felt everytime we won it was a great achievement, which is a polar opposite of cricket, where if we win it's just a relief and not really unbridled joy.

Well done Socceroos.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Is there an argument for a video ref, perhaps? Harder in Association Football than Rugby because it doesn't have Rugby's natural breaks in play, but the ref could always play on til the next break in play & then refer it for a look.
And that is the exact reason it can't be brought in.

What if the next break is the other team putting the ball in the net?

Cloete

International Captain
Sigh.

Wasn't a penalty, wasn't a red card, was a bloody great display of how Australia have come on leaps on bounds as a footballing nation. Playing out of tight areas, putting in a solid defensive display and matching it with Italy.

It wasn't a penalty, Grosso fell onto Neill deliberately to earn it and it got given. I'm a qualified FIFA referee, wow Marc you're not so special, and if I had seen it close I doubt I would have given it. The key was that Neill for mine did not make any attempt to attack the player or the ball and as such it was Grosso who went into Neill. I have no problems with the referee giving the penalty either, as sad as it is for Australian football. It looked very much like Neill could have brought him down but Cantalejo was looking for the penalty instead of looiking at what Neill had actually done, which was basically remained perfectly still. Other thing to take into account is that normally referees err on the side of caution in the box. It's very often a player who should have won a penalty isn't awarded it, but I think that's a direct result from the amount of diving that also goes on. I still can't help but think of Simunic's efforts on Viduka at a time like this though.

Anyway, put it this way, if I had seen Neill move at all I would have given it and I might have even given that one then, it was a 60/40(In favour of no penalty) or perhaps 70/30 decision for mine. Cantalejo made the wrong decision but it was, in some ways, a fair decision. Neill was our best player and had a remarkable World Cup, but it was his fault really. Not that Bresciano was innocent. They're not the only one's who do it and it's sad for the sport of football. The Italians are historically disgraceful for their diving and Grosso is an absolute disgrace for it. It happens so often these days it's hardly taken into account though. Credit to the Italians in that match though, they played fairly and sportingly throughout and it was just Grosso who tarnished that. Totti is a tool as well, but atleast he didn't get a chance to show that against us.

I just want to put that behind me and think what we've achieved. Very few tipped us to get out of our group, let alone match Brazil and Italy. We were unlucky with refereeing all World Cup and frankly the standard wasn't good enough. But in every game we never stopped fighting and never gave up, which I suppose isn't that different to every other time, but I think that deserves a pat on the back. Bring on Asia and bring on 2010! Congratulations Australia and congrats to the team, they're heroes in my book!

I'm hoping for a Spain v Germany final :)

Last edited: