Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 and Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    He didn't lunge in, he was stationary. Being on the ground isn't the same as lunging into a challenge, and running over the top of him was simply a blatant attempt to win a penalty that wasn't there.
    Why was Neill on the ground again?

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Because he was attempting to get rid of the ball from his opponent. His opponent hesitated for a bit, leaving Neill on the ground.

FIFA World Football Rule #213: You cannot commit a foul while in defence if you are on the ground and do not defensively attack the player and/or ball!

I don't actually understand that, can anyone tell me whether that supports the referee's decision or not?

I love Lucas Neill but the fact of the matter is he was ridiculously stupid (not breaking Jamie Carragher’s leg than taunting him stupid) but his actions were pretty brainless. It was like he was playing for Millwall again though saying that the parallels with Australia are pretty obvious.

Breakout Champion!
    not breaking Jamie Carragher’s leg then taunting him heroic
    Corrected.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Why was Neill on the ground again?
    Because he went in for a challenge, obviously. The point is that Neill pulled out of the challenge well before the contact was made, and left plenty of opportunity for Grosso to get out of the way, turn with the ball or do anything else. A challenge is where you attempt to win the ball by attacking the player in possession - Neill didn't do that, and wasn't attempting to win the ball or bring down the player. The player ran into him on purpose, and thus commited the foul, if there was one at all.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot
    FIFA World Football Rule #213: You cannot commit a foul while in defence if you are on the ground and do not defensively attack the player and/or ball!

I don't actually understand that, can anyone tell me whether that supports the referee's decision or not?
    There is no such thing as the FIFA World Football Rules.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Shattered.

Absolutely shattered.

"I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    What i noticed about Australia going forward, was that they seemed very reluctant to cross balls into the box and just seemed to play it back into the middle of the pitch all the time....
    Because Cannavaro was immense once again also the fact that Australia can not pass the ball, evident in the countless aimless balls played into the channels for fat man Viduka to hopelessly chase.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot

Well, it doesn't. Simply means that if you are down and don't move toward the player in possession you can't commit a foul. That's exactly what Neill did.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    He didn't lunge in, he was stationary. Being on the ground isn't the same as lunging into a challenge, and running over the top of him was simply a blatant attempt to win a penalty that wasn't there.
    I'm not defending Grosso or the ref, but Neill was naive to put himself in that position. He's an experienced enough pro to know the outcome there. One way or another the attacker's going to ground; unfortunately the sad fact of things is that sometimes refs are suckered.

In 20 years you'll still feel cheated, which will give you some insight into the simmering injustice we feel about that stumpy drugs cheat punching the ball into our net.....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    There is no such thing as the FIFA World Football Rules.
    Eh, I only saw it on some other place which is filtered out, and I know very little about football, hence me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    Corrected.

Yeah breaking someone's leg with a reckless and awful challenge than calling him a diving **** is a tad tasteless and pretty **** poor IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'm not defending Grosso or the ref, but Neill was naive to put himself in that position. He's an experienced enough pro to know the outcome there. One way or another the attacker's going to ground; unfortunately the sad fact of things is that sometimes refs are suckered.

In 20 years you'll still feel cheated, which will give you some insight into the simmering injustice we feel about that stumpy drugs cheat punching the ball into our net.....
    He was naive, certainly, but it wasn't a penalty.

I think I'll get over it to be honest. Everyone in Australia will be tremendously proud that we made it through a tough group and matched Italy on the day. I think we deserved to make it into extra time, and with the man advantage and two subs to come may well have won the game, but either way I don't think it's a failing on Australia's part at all.

I feel terribly sorry for the players though, as they certainly didn't deserve to go out like that.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    Because Cannavaro was immense once again also the fact that Australia can not pass the ball, evident in the countless aimless balls played into the channels for fat man Viduka to hopelessly chase.
    Erm. Right. Cannavaro was hardly stand-out, everytime Australia went central there was a wall of Italian players, when they went wide and crossed it they usually got a chance on goal. The reluctance to get to the byline and cross it was the key factor in Australia not getting a goal.

As for Australia not being able to pass....the 59% possession statistic tells a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Page 18 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information