• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round 16 and Beyond

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Could all be true. But at the minute, we are in the World Cup, do hold the Ashes and do hold the RWC. So there :laugh:
Umm... okay. You realise people expect England to still be in the World Cup though, right?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
I shouted 'penalty' the moment I saw it - yes, Grosso looked for it but it was stupid in the extreme for Lucas Neill to commit himself like that - he gave the Italian all the chance he needed to go to ground and nine times out of ten, they're given.
It was a ridiculous call.

The referee was right on top of it and I don't see how that could possibly have been a penalty. It's almost as though the referee was itching to give a penalty at any opening. Terrible call.

Blaze

Banned
I hope England go out more than ever now after seeing some of the comments here.

Disgraceful decision, although Australia never looked like scoring and the game probably would have gone to penalties anyway.

Still, words couldn't describe how the Australians are feeling right now I would imagine.

Mr Mxyzptlk

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Could all be true. But at the minute, we are in the World Cup, do hold the Ashes and do hold the RWC. So there :laugh:
I bet England are thrilled they met Ecuador rather than Italy in the Round of 16. 8-)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It was a ridiculous call.

The referee was right on top of it and I don't see how that could possibly have been a penalty. It's almost as though the referee was itching to give a penalty at any opening. Terrible call.
I think the fact that Neill got in the way of Grosso, arrested his momentum and ultimately tripped him was the killer. I'm sorry, but that's a penalty. It's definitely more of a penalty than Materazzi's was a red...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
I hope England go out more than ever now after seeing some of the comments here.
Goughy said:
Im imagining that this just happened to England and my stomach churned. Unlucky Aus, so many of us were cheering you on

Damn Spaniard Ref
Do you pick and choose the ones you read. As far as I can tell reading the WC thread far more Brits want Aus to do well than the other way around.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
I think the fact that Neill got in the way of Grosso, arrested his momentum and ultimately tripped him was the killer. I'm sorry, but that's a penalty. It's definitely more of a penalty than Materazzi's was a red...
Neill did not foul him. Grosso wasn't tripped. He practically walked over Neill and dove to the ground clutching his face. Terrible decision.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why did Neill go to ground as soon as he did?
After that it was pretty straight forward for Fabio Grosso drop the shoulder and go over. Neill made it easy as you like for Grosso. Shame really he was arguably Australian’s best player throughout the tournament but he was not helped by Marco Bresciano’s attempt at defending, gave one hell of an invite to Grosso to attack, he obliged and the rest is history.

Overall I thought Italy fully deserved the victory, defended superbly and created the best chances of the game even with the handicap of ten men. Australia had the opportunities to throw men on and they did not. The game was their for them and it seemed like Hiddink was not prepared to go for it like he did against Japan and Croatia and that cost them dearly.

Also magnificent penalty from Totti, doubt if two GK’s would have stopped that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Terrible, terrible decision. Actually decisions, because Neill was a prize pillock for diving in & allowing himself to be Grosso's patsy.

I can't imagine how the Aussies must be feeling now. I've had some that are hard to stomach (Luton winning 3-2 in League Cup Final in '88 with last kick, Nayim from the halfway line in '95, Owen nicking the FA Cup from us in 2001, England losing on pens in any given bloody tournament you care to name), but that is a kick in the crotch.

Matterazzi possibly didn't deserve a straight red, but (I think) he'd been booked already & a def yellow IMHO. The same end result.

Fair play to Oz, did 'emselves proud. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
He is under no obligation to move, there is no right of way. He was there first and the opponent went over him. Should not have been a penalty.

Swervy

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I think the fact that Neill got in the way of Grosso, arrested his momentum and ultimately tripped him was the killer. I'm sorry, but that's a penalty. ..
Sorry, dont see that one...the act of getting in the way without contact doesnt mean its a penalty. if that is given 9 time out of ten, then 9 times out of ten its the wrong decision

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That decision was an absolute farce. The notion that anyone could defend it or the result of the match is absurd. The red earlier wasn't quite on, but it was an extremely hard challenge, was late and didn't get the ball, so you can argue that a red was justifiable.

Italy defended very well, but Australia more than matched them through the middle and neither team deserved to concede. It should have gone to extra time, and Australia certainly shouldn't have lost like that.

Hiddink didn't chase the game because he still had 30 minutes to play with, quite simply. Australia never looked like giving up a goal after the sending off, and he was quite right to save his substitutions given the advantage that another half hour with fresh legs would have given Australia.

Last edited:

Buddhmaster

International Captain
We were cheated, simple as that. Horrible way to go out, especially considering how much we dominated the game. Ukraine of the Swiss surely wouldn't have been as big a task as well.

Blaze

Banned
As far as im aware lucas neills motion stopped before the italian player made contact, does this count for anything?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
As far as im aware lucas neills motion stopped before the italian player made contact, does this count for anything?
It wasn't a penalty. Simple as.

The trouble is that he was sprawled on the floor, leaving Grosso with the relatively simple task of leaving a trailing foot there & going to ground. The ref was a sucker for buying it, but more blatant dives get pens every weekend.