• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FIFA to investigate Aussies?

cameeel

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
You've just summed up your knowledge of football in two words.
I'm with you there, but it is a bit over the top to disallow in-squad betting. It's not as if someone would deliberately miss a scoring opportunity at the WC just because you've made a bet. I doubt you'd even think of it when presented with an opportunity.

But yes, it was a stupid thing to say.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suspect that footballers who don't gamble are in the minority; it's one of their clichéd vices: birds, booze or betting. Young lads with an almost obscene amount of disposable readies, it's almost inevitable.

I think betting on games in which you feature is possibly the thin end of the wedge to something more sinister, but chucking in a fiver (or five grand in their case, probably) into a pot with your mates to see who scores first in harmless enough. Cahill's only mistake is being naive enough to mention it in public. What authorities might turn a blind eye too (or evenly tacitly condone) in private will cause no end of hypocritical sabre-rattling when it falls into the hands of the gentleman & ladies of the fourth estate.

Slap on the wrist fine for Cahill at worst.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty harmless, but rather stupid for Cahill (let alone Viduka) to mention it publicly. Convenient excuse for Australia not scoring in the first half though. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cameeel said:
I'm with you there, but it is a bit over the top to disallow in-squad betting. It's not as if someone would deliberately miss a scoring opportunity at the WC just because you've made a bet. I doubt you'd even think of it when presented with an opportunity.

But yes, it was a stupid thing to say.
I didn't bother reading the article at first, just assuming that it was 'real' betting.

Hell, it was a fiver in the pot stuff between the squad, so the first thing I'll do is apologise to Blaze and reiterate his
who cares?
but append .... apart from FIFA and the morons of the press.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel sorry for Tim Cahill. He was trying to explain the comradeship and the camaraderie within the Team with regard to scoring for the Aussies . Obviously an innocent comment - hope FIFA or the powers that be realise the nature of the comments for what they are , without trying to make mountains out of molehills , when their real focus should be on other odd results in the World Cup !!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
JASON said:
I feel sorry for Tim Cahill. He was trying to explain the comradeship and the camaraderie within the Team with regard to scoring for the Aussies . Obviously an innocent comment - hope FIFA or the powers that be realise the nature of the comments for what they are , without trying to make mountains out of molehills , when their real focus should be on other odd results in the World Cup !!
Not sure there's been many, until Ghana's rather splendid efforts yesterday the closest thing we'd had to a shock was Ecuador beating Poland or T&T holding Sweden.

I can remember in my lifetime two World Champion teams going down to unfancied (& criminally underrated) African teams (Argentina lost 1-0 to Cameroon in 1990 & France lost 1-0 to Senegal last time).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cameeel said:
So what about this then.

Team A get a penalty, and several of the players have Player X to score first goal.

Player X takes penalty and misses...

Team A go on to lose match.

ash chaulk

International Captain
yep kewell shot was purposly blocked by the japanese guy to let cahill score oh wai tso the japanese guy is in on it to

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You'd be kidding yourself if you thought that, once out on the pitch, any player would think of their own bet.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What for posting a link to a as then current story that was factually correct?
Settle petal. I was merely trying your smarmy one-line posting style on for size.