• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Vikash Dhorasoo the first player of Indian background to play at the World Cup ?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a question to anyone out there knowledgeable on the World Cup stats .

Is Vikash the first player of Indian background to play at the World Cup ?

I note from his player profile , he was born in France and plays for PSG .

I was impressed by his 12-13 minute stint after coming off the Bench for France against the Swiss . He had a couple of good shots at goal , one missing by less than a foot.

Anyway Credit to the French for picking the guy. (He must be a good player to get picked for France.)

Vive le France !!:)

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:
This is a question to anyone out there knowledgeable on the World Cup stats .

Is Vikash the first player of Indian background to play at the World Cup ?

I note from his player profile , he was born in France and plays for PSG .

I was impressed by his 12-13 minute stint after coming off the Bench for France against the Swiss . He had a couple of good shots at goal , one missing by less than a foot.

Anyway Credit to the French for picking the guy. (He must be a good player to get picked for France.)

Vive le France !!:)
I don't know if he is the first.

He was born in France, his parents come from Mauritius where his great-grandparents emigrated. I know one of his goals when he retires is to promote football in India.

(Did I say "one of his goals" ? sounds strange for a french player as french players precisely don't score goals)

Craig

World Traveller
IIRC India had a chance of playing in one of the earlier World Cups, but turned it down after they were told in no uncertain terms they could play in bere feet.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
IIRC India had a chance of playing in one of the earlier World Cups, but turned it down after they were told in no uncertain terms they could play in bere feet.
1950 IIRC - and you missed the fairly critical "not" from that sentence.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
when i first saw Dhorasoo in aroudn 2000 i was very impressed and thought he looked like a very classy player, since then he has appeared extremely mediocre and its seems to me to be a wonder that he has managed to get himself included in the french squad, let alone get on the pitch, as im sure there are far better and younger players who can play in a similar capacity to him like pedretti etc..