• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok! I admit it - I'm hooked on the World Cup...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
Is gridion a sport or something that just fills in time between commercials?
It's a chance for pharmaceutical conglomerates to showcase the effects of their performance-enhancing "vitamins". :p

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread is one giant train wreck.

Some of the ignorance shown (about AFL) makes me want to throw up. At least learn the rules of the game before bagging it, people.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
benchmark00 said:

Some of the ignorance shown (about AFL) makes me want to throw up. At least learn the rules of the game before bagging it, people.
Haha, to be fair I don't know a single rugby rule but I'll bag it till the day I die.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
benchmark00 said:

You don't have to learn the rules of a game to know you don't like it. Why would you bother to learn the rules of a game that didn't interest you?

pasag

RTDAS
GeraintIsMyHero said:
You don't have to learn the rules of a game to know you don't like it. Why would you bother to learn the rules of a game that didn't interest you?
His point is that its one thing to not like it, but to try and ridicule it without knowing much about is stupid.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
pasag said:
His point is that its one thing to not like it, but to try and ridicule it without knowing much about is stupid.
Well fair enough, I interpet "baggign" to basically mean criticising. You don't have to know the rules to know that you a think a game is bland and pointless. Just like you don't have to know the words to a song to know you don't like it.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:

If AFL had rules then I would learn them.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Jono said:
Far out Scaly you didn't even come close to putting away the darts argument. Tell me what do dart players aim for? One would think the bullseye to try and maximise the points they get, however if they get close to the target, they also get points, just less points than they would get if they actually hit the bullseye. So either you think darts is also tripe, or you're just insulting something else Australian for the hell of it.
I know I'm late here, but this post is very ill-informed.

In darts, the most points is not always helpful - so you aim away from the most points. Also, bullseye is not the highest value.

Mister Wright

Tom Halsey said:
I know I'm late here, but this post is very ill-informed.

In darts, the most points is not always helpful - so you aim away from the most points. Also, bullseye is not the highest value.
Yeah, that's tripple 20 (thats equals 60 for the AFL followers).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
If AFL had rules then I would learn them.
I wish you rugby people would make up your mind. Is AFL a wussy, weak game for sheilas and poofters, or is it an out of control mess with no rules and no boundaries?

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
I wish you rugby people would make up your mind. Is AFL a wussy, weak game for sheilas and poofters, or is it an out of control mess with no rules and no boundaries?
Both.:)

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Buddhmaster said:
How is a front on hit like a spear tackle? A spear tackle is a spear tackle.
The head is sacrosanct in any contact sport.

Spear tackle is basically irrelevant in AFL because you don't have to bring the player to ground. Peter Burgoyne is the only player I can remember executing one in AFL recently, a couple of years ago.

A front on hit with a player with his head over the ball has the potential to paralyse or kill a player, exactly the same as a spear tackle in rugby league. They are both taboo in the respective codes.

The head high contact when a player is attacking the man and not the ball is what the AFL want to remove from the game, not the hip and shoulder in general.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Those two sledges are not incompatible.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Those two sledges are not incompatible.
Well, the argument from the oh-so-elequent rugby league fans that have waxed lyrical to me over the years about the shortcomings of the national code has been that AFL is "poofy" because the players are "soft" and they "get free kicks for everything". Seems to fly in the face of the idea that it's a shambles with no rules.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, the argument from the oh-so-elequent rugby league fans that have waxed lyrical to me over the years about the shortcomings of the national code has been that AFL is "poofy" because the players are "soft" and they "get free kicks for everything". Seems to fly in the face of the idea that it's a shambles with no rules.
A poofy shambles.

Nothing contradictory there.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I have to say I'm probably the only person in the history of Australia to enjoy both League and AFL.

The players aren't soft, most of you guys are for being so petty about codes. Grow up.