• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ok! I admit it - I'm hooked on the World Cup...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Aussie rules is just an organised farce, it's worse than the gaelic stuff.
I quite enjoy it. Enjoy gaelic, too. It's quick, entertaining and the players are courageous, like jono mentioned. I just get ****ed off with AFL fans constantly jibing away at rugby league when Aussie Rules doesn't come close either as a spectacle or a skilled sport.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Far out Scaly you didn't even come close to putting away the darts argument. Tell me what do dart players aim for? One would think the bullseye to try and maximise the points they get, however if they get close to the target, they also get points, just less points than they would get if they actually hit the bullseye. So either you think darts is also tripe, or you're just insulting something else Australian for the hell of it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
Well it proves the 'spectacle' point for one.
I never said it wasn't a spectacle. Infact I actually said it is entertaining. However, it doesn't prove that it matches rugby league as a spectacle, which is what I said it doesn't.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Far out Scaly you didn't even come close to putting away the darts argument. Tell me what do dart players aim for? One would think the bullseye to try and maximise the points they get,
Treble 20 surely then? ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Game over, I concede defeate. I could try and throw in a Damien Peverill (Uglier version of Roger Federer):

But it doesn't cut the mustard.

Interesting enough though, if you search 'Damien Peverill' in Google Images you get a picture of Roger Federer. :D That had me in stitches the first time I found that out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not going to join the "bag Aussie Rules" bandwagon, but I think it's slightly disingenuous to claim you don't get a point for missing. I doubt players would often actually aim for behinds, would they? I may be wrong tho.

Much of the game is impenetrable to me, but that's more my problem than AFL's. Three things principally I can’t get used to: the size of the pitch, the "no offside" thing & the awarding of free-kicks for "marks" wily-nily.

pasag

RTDAS
BoyBrumby said:
I'm not going to join the "bag Aussie Rules" bandwagon, but I think it's slightly disingenuous to claim you don't get a point for missing. I doubt players would often actually aim for behinds, would they? I may be wrong tho.

Much of the game is impenetrable to me, but that's more my problem than AFL's. Three things principally I can’t get used to: the size of the pitch, the "no offside" thing & the awarding of free-kicks for "marks" wily-nily.
I think the main problem is thinking that AFL is some sort of tweaked variation of soccer and not a sport that has been around since 1850.

From what I have read about AFL's history and origins, there is no connection between the two

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You're not really getting a 'free kick' by taking a mark (grab or catch), but rather you're earning it. I mean when you climb on top of 3 guys and grab the ball out of mid-air like in the images above (not the attractive men images), you deserve to have your own kick. :p

I understand how some things would be hard to get used to though Brumby. It took me ages to understand the offside rule. I do believe it to be more foreign to most sports though, rather than the other way around.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
You're not really getting a 'free kick' by taking a mark (grab or catch), but rather you're earning it. I mean when you climb on top of 3 guys and grab the ball out of mid-air like in the images above (not the attractive men images), you deserve to have your own kick. :p

I understand how some things would be hard to get used to though Brumby. It took me ages to understand the offside rule. I do believe it to be more foreign to most sports though, rather than the other way around.
The three football codes I follow (Association, Union & League) all have offsides. I dunno about Gaelic or Seppo football, but I think AFL is in the minority by not having one.

I think ultimately arguing over the superiority of one footy code over another is fruitless 'cos what a non-fan sees as a weakness (like AFL's no offside thing) fans probably see as a strength; I see a bloody mess with bemulleted Victorians flying hither & thither, you probably see a free-flowing game unhindered by petty considerations of where the last defender may be! :p