• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Mediawatch

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Most of the really stupid media pieces regarding the world cup will be restricted to Australia and America with reporters and media personalities that have zero idea on the game jumping on the bandwagon (jumping off in America perhaps).

I managed to catch a bit of Sunrise this morning and they were discussing the Brazil result. The sports reporter said that the Brazil-Croatia result was a poor one for Australia because we would have preferred for them to draw and each get as few points as possible :blink:

I liked this effort from the Herald Sun this morning as well even if it doesn't pertain to football knowledge:

Lucas Neill was asked if he realised he had just played in one of the great moments in Australian sport. Neill's a thinker, not one to answer with a cliche. "You think so?" he said, his eyes narrowing in thought. "I hope so. I just think it empitomises what Australia is all about."

"Every sport we compete in, we've got this never say die attitude. We never know when to quit and we have all been brought up as winners, and I think it has shone through again today."
Paul Kent, what was that again? :unsure: :laugh:

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
We're not exempt from crap reporting when the World Cup comes around - it's always amusing reading pieces from rugby heads about the round ball game. You usually find one or two that will spout the usual tirade about diving and pretending to be injured compared to those hard rugby blokes, which you can generally read as a bitter rant against soccer because they're jealous that it takes over the headlines for a month.

You also get the instant expert types who know **** all about the game making big sweeping statements about one team or another. I've taken a liking to this one here from the June editition of Skywatch:

Brazil are nothing without Ronaldinho
:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
Pure idiocy

...I love number 10, though.
Not sure if Collingwood fans will be happy to read that rubbish .. ie Collingwood of South America.. Hope they will do something to Carmen Miranda , to stop her writing rubbish like this .:laugh:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Damn. That passes for journalism? I'd be surprised if I read that in the Telegraph, to be honest, let alone The Age, which is usually of a far higher standard.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
That sounds like the kind of thing the Daily Mail over here would do. In the wake of the Spanish racism controversy in 2004-05, their criticism of Spanish attitudes to other cultures consisted of.....a page-long diatribe about why Spain sucks. :dry:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to say when I read that Brazil are the Collingwood of South America I was failing to say any similarities between their supremely gifted, but somewhat portly, players & amiable Geordie copper-topped middle-order nurdlers who bowl medium pace dobbers....

I suspect the article is intended as tongue-in-cheek, but is just rampantly unfunny.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Number 10 would have Scaly choking into his breakfast Scrabflakes (the crunchy cereal with 5 points for a 'K')..

Apart from that, the rest is one poor piece of journalism.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
one of the music sites i get an email from sent me an email with the headline "USA vs Czechoslovakia - Big Game Preview"

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I have to say when I read that Brazil are the Collingwood of South America I was failing to say any similarities between their supremely gifted, but somewhat portly, players & amiable Geordie copper-topped middle-order nurdlers who bowl medium pace dobbers....
h

pasag

RTDAS
steds said:
I was totally unaware of the third title heading in that wiki. I have no idea how that can be verified and I am not sure why they call it a village. Furthermore it has no reference at all.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
pasag said:
I was totally unaware of the third title heading in that wiki. I have no idea how that can be verified and I am not sure why they call it a village. Furthermore it has no reference at all.
Altogether now:

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A. ...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
5 guesses on the world cup.

...those chinese people sure can guess...
:lol:

This Czech Republic youngster is widely regarded as one of the hottest properties in Europe. His splendid 5 goals in the 2004 Euro earned him worldwide fame and the Golden Boot. With the feed of Czech's strong midfield, the heavy bomber will smash any solid defense. Crowning the scoring title will not be a dream impossible.
:lol:

Australia to be the biggest black horse,