• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest European Footballer ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Okay folks - I am not a great follower of the game and have very limited knowledge of European footballers who played before 1980. So forgive me for missing names that may seem obvious to you. So Who is the greatest European Footballer Ever ?

a. Johan Cruyff
b. Michele Platini
c. Paolo Rossi
d. Beckenbauer
e. Marco Van Basten

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
f. George Best. :)

Either him or Cruyff. European football really hasn't been about strong individuals since about the mid-70s (with the possible exception of Platini) - all about the team and tactics.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Cruyff or Beckenbauer would be fair picks. Plenty of worthy names though.

Rather tempted to say Henry, just to get Scaly going.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The Zidane of a few years ago was first-rate. I have a suspicion that he's only going to sully his reputation in this tournament tho.

Puskas has a realistic shout too.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Puskas, Moore, Best. Probably one of the first two, since Best didn't play/succeed in a major championships and so is unproven on the biggest stage of all.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:
Moore, Puskas...
IMO, Moore is the greatest defender the world's ever seen (Beckenbauer next best), and Puskas probably Europe's most complete attacking player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
The Zidane of a few years ago was first-rate. I have a suspicion that he's only going to sully his reputation in this tournament tho.
Didn't he already do that in 2002?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'd say Cruyff first, then Puskas, Moore and Best. Moore is definitely the best defender there's ever been IMO.

I also think there's probably a case to be made for considering Eusebio in things too - and something makes me think in thirty years' time we might just be listing a young lad called Rooney up there too. ;)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
I'd say Cruyff first, then Puskas, Moore and Best. Moore is definitely the best defender there's ever been IMO.

I also think there's probably a case to be made for considering Eusebio in things too - and something makes me think in thirty years' time we might just be listing a young lad called Rooney up there too. ;)
I still think that Rooney could go the way of Gazza....I hope i'm wrong, but it's all set up to go that way.

Add Lineker, Di Stefano, One of the Laudrups, Fontaine, Mueller, Charlton, Law, Neeskens, Daglish, Shilton, Platini, Maldini, Gullit, Prosnecki, Deschamps, Boban to the list.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't Di Stefano come from Argentina?

Other names I would chuck in Giacinto Facchetti (named in a all-time Franz Beckenbauer XI), Giuseppe Meazza, Dino Zoff, Gunnar Nordhal (225 goals in 291 games in Serie A for Roma and Milan, and is the highest foregin goal scorer in Italy), Lev Yashin.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Most have been mentioned already really. Der Kaiser and Mattheus were two of my particular favourites.

And yeah Di Stefano was an Argie.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
IMO, Moore is the greatest defender the world's ever seen (Beckenbauer next best), and Puskas probably Europe's most complete attacking player.
now come on!!! trying to steal andrew symonds was one thing...
but trying to claim that craig moore is english!!!! Please