• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Perfect 10

archie mac

International Coach
The thing I don't enjoy about Soccer is the constant diving, is the ref allowed to yellow card a player for deliberatly taking a dive?

Although the way we Aussies tackle they may not be actor when they go down:D

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Yeah, they are. Unfortunately most referees have enough issues getting real fouls right...
Avery's 2nd challenge...

Grella got one amazing tackle in though. Came in ridiculously hard and absolutely crunched Nakamura front on but had nothing but the ball. Nakamura went miles while Grella just stood up with the ball :D

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just hate the general softness.

They take a tiny knock to the face and they're all over the deck wanting treatment.

Cloete

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
I just hate the general softness.

They take a tiny knock to the face and they're all over the deck wanting treatment.
It's not being soft though. It's being cheats.

They do it in union as well. The forwards always have a lye down so their team gets a rest. Footballers do it so their team gets a foul.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Some don't see it as cheating, some think it's part of the game. Maradona has described his famous handball as "a subtle chess manoeuvre" and I'm not sure many Argentinian fans would disagree with him, it's a cultural thing, beating England this way was something to be proud of, and I can sort of see the logic behind it.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Cloete said:
It's not being soft though. It's being cheats.

They do it in union as well. The forwards always have a lye down so their team gets a rest. Footballers do it so their team gets a foul.
its not quite the same thing...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Mansfield played Macclesfield, we were down 3-0 and 3 times late on we made a tackle and their player went down and stayed down for awhile...we thought they were play-acting, then it turned out one guy was actually then out for 6 weeks.

There's a fine line of interpretation and it's almost impossible for a referee to not make a wrong decision during a match, especially when some players really big up the nothingness of a tackle.

At least it cost him 5 grand....

archie mac

International Coach
I recall one, I think it was Chile where the goal keeper covered himself in fake blood and said he had beek attacked by the crowd:D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
I recall one, I think it was Chile where the goal keeper covered himself in fake blood and said he had beek attacked by the crowd:D
Roberto Rojas, and it happened during a qualifying match for the 1990 World Cup.

The blood was indeed genuine, and it was indeed his own. Chile were losing 1-0 in Brazil, a game they had to win, when Rojas fell to the ground with blood streaming from his face. The game was abandoned.

The wound, however, was self-inflicted as was later proved. Rojas was banned for life and Chile received a suspension from the following World Cup.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
its not quite the same thing...
How is for example that saints player going down like a girl after Barry Hall 'tapped' him in the semi last year, any different from Nakamura going down from a cruching tackle from Gella. Its all the same thing, just some Footballers do it more often.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
How is for example that saints player going down like a girl after Barry Hall 'tapped' him in the semi last year, any different from Nakamura going down from a cruching tackle from Gella. Its all the same thing, just some Footballers do it more often.
Hmmmm being punched when not expecting it from this bloke:

And being glanced on a shin guard from a soccer player are exactly the same aren't they...

cpr

International Coach
Its one thing i use in defence of cricket when non fans call it "poofy"

'How many other sports can you watch where someone gets whacked in the nads at 90mph, and everyone, including his team mate, laughs at him.... compare that to footballers who fall down when its windy' :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pedro Delgado said:
Some don't see it as cheating, some think it's part of the game. Maradona has described his famous handball as "a subtle chess manoeuvre" and I'm not sure many Argentinian fans would disagree with him, it's a cultural thing, beating England this way was something to be proud of, and I can sort of see the logic behind it.
Without wishing to venture too far into dodgy national stereotypes, I think there's something in that. The Argentines celebrate it because Maradona picked our pockets & got away with it. Slanderous generalisation it may be, but I think they prefer foul means to fair; cherishing the subtle slap in tha face to the old Empire builders. I have a suspicion they would laugh at our (possibly outdated) ideals of sportsmanship.

Of course, he who lives by the sword dies by it too, so I personally cheered very loudly when young Michael "earned" penalties against them in 98 & 02. :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Something that really hacks me off is when someone stays down after a tackle to stop the other team getting a breakaway. It happens so often these days - one player will come away with the ball with their team in a good position and the other guy will lie down while the rest of their team demand the ball be kicked out. Two minutes later he'll be back up again not at all worse for wear. It's just so typical of modern sport - something that was done in good sportsmanship being used to give yourself an unfair advantage.