• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for the English & The Aussies

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
I'd put The Rams getting promoted/winning summat ahead of everything to be honest. Then World Cup, then Ashes. Cricket World Cup, meh.
It's a debate that's raged long and hard (ooer, missus) on Ramzone recently.

For me, club and country are dead level, and so for that matter are footy and cricket - but the only reason I can say that is of course because we don't have to choose, and I can wrap them up neatly and compartmentalise them.

Having seen two league titles for the Rams, and comparing them to the footy WC in 1966, the WC was totally expected, and so was Derby's second league title. The first one though was utterly outrageous (even down to how we ended up winning it, when the players were on holiday in Majorca), and the thrill is with me still, just thinking about it I have shivers running up and down my spine and I can remember every detail as if it were yesterday.

You know, reading that has made me think. I've been kidding myself, haven't I?

DCFC every single time - there's nothing like it.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
It's a debate that's raged long and hard (ooer, missus) on Ramzone recently.

For me, club and country are dead level, and so for that matter are footy and cricket - but the only reason I can say that is of course because we don't have to choose, and I can wrap them up neatly and compartmentalise them.

Having seen two league titles for the Rams, and comparing them to the footy WC in 1966, the WC was totally expected, and so was Derby's second league title. The first one though was utterly outrageous (even down to how we ended up winning it, when the players were on holiday in Majorca), and the thrill is with me still, just thinking about it I have shivers running up and down my spine and I can remember every detail as if it were yesterday.

You know, reading that has made me think. I've been kidding myself, haven't I?

DCFC every single time - there's nothing like it.
Aye. Winning the Ashes was great and I did celebrate, but not in the way I celebrated Robbie Van der Laaaaaan, Van der Laaaaaan, Van der Laaaaaan on that magical day, no comparison. I don't take it as far as some, I mean there are people who'd take a local derby win over an England World Cup victory, I'm not sure if that's admirable or just plain stupid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
because of the way the seedings work thats pretty much impossible atm
True, although we did have Germany (best European performance in 2002 WC) & Greece (future European champions) in our 2002 qualifying group!

Think I'm stretching the point a tad tho.... :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Travis_Teh said:
Nothing compares to the FIFA world cup.
Nothing.
I don't think there's any nation like us English for passionately following club sides though

And there is no feeling like that one when Ned equalised against Leicester at Wembley, better than anything, ever, I know exactly what the Derby fans are saying

But I will go extremely mental should we be crowned champs!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I don't think there's any nation like us English for passionately following club sides though

And there is no feeling like that one when Ned equalised against Leicester at Wembley, better than anything, ever, I know exactly what the Derby fans are saying

But I will go extremely mental should we be crowned champs!
I cheered like a moron that day too.

Hate the filthy Fester scum

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The sheer gutted feeling of having a goal in the last minute disallowed and then losing out on penalties after said goal was disallowed in the League 2 play off final 2 seasons ago is far superior to any disappointment i've felt when England have lost except for possibly France 98 against Argentina.

But the respective highs are different, when we got promoted it was with a sense of inevitibility having been in the top 3 for months, whereas when England do well in a competition it's within a matter of weeks so it's a more intense feeling.

Craig

World Traveller
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I don't know, some South Americans can challange that claim of yours.

I mean where else can you get buried in a coffin of your clubs colours, or go and spy on the players to see which nightspot they are visiting...

Craig

World Traveller
superkingdave said:
because of the way the seedings work thats pretty much impossible atm
Well I used them as an example, but going by what you said, how did France and Italy draw each other, as with Ukraine for the qualifyers for the next European Championships?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Craig said:
Well I used them as an example, but going by what you said, how did France and Italy draw each other, as with Ukraine for the qualifiers for the next European Championships?
I don't know how they worked it, but, for the next Euros, there are no play-offs and the top 2 of each group qualify automatically, so there will, in theory, be two strong teams in each group. Ukraine were probably unseeded.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
I don't know, some South Americans can challange that claim of yours.

I mean where else can you get buried in a coffin of your clubs colours, or go and spy on the players to see which nightspot they are visiting...
Glasgow Rangers for a start.

Penetrate beyond the bigotry and you find people who are incredibly fanatical about their club, and their former heroes (likewise the same fanaticism exists with Hoops fans I know - and they're just as bigoted).

The other week, 10,000+ of them came down to Derby to see a friendly for Ted McMinn (the former Rangers and Derby God who lost a leg last year in a bizarre bacterial accident), swelling the gate to 33475 - amazingly, the record for any match at Pride Park.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Given that we are never going to win the World Cup, its a pretty moot point for Aussies. Therefore - The Ashes. I'd feel bad for Brazil and the others who live, breathe, love and die by their football - Australia has plenty of niche sports we dominate in and which make us feel happy, we're just really happy to be at the party in Germany I think.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well I used them as an example, but going by what you said, how did France and Italy draw each other, as with Ukraine for the qualifyers for the next European Championships?
Because of past qualifying seedings.

One was in the top seeds, one in the second tier.