Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Question for the English & The Aussies

  1. #31
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    We'll be doing well to win the Ashes...
    I meant the Cricket World Cup...

  2. #32
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Blewy
    World Cup by a MILE!!!

    Simon and I spoke about this a week or so ago... We both agreed we would let England win the Ashes every time if we were to win the WC...
    It all begins to fit into place....

    You Aussies have signed a pact with the devil (throws salt over shoulder)
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  3. #33
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Chasing Yesterday
    Posts
    52,393
    Working on Neil's scale

    TRFC>>>Footy World Cup>>>Ashes>>>>>>>>>>Cricket World Cup
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  4. #34
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Bit hard to answer when it doesn't directly apply to me.

    But if you stuck a gun to my head and choose, I would go Ashes because I liked cricket well before I liked football, but a football World Cup win would be massive here, I mean I have never seen such a reaction/following towards football/soccer here in Australia, so it shows you how significant it was to qualify for it whereas in England it is more or less expected as a given, especially with some of the teams England have had in their qualifying pools for their last two major tournaments. I suppose World Cup qualification would still be expected (or at worst play off) if England were drawn with Spain and France or Italy for example?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.


  5. #35
    International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Derby, England.
    Posts
    2,939
    I'd put The Rams getting promoted/winning summat ahead of everything to be honest. Then World Cup, then Ashes. Cricket World Cup, meh.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la


    The wolves are running..

  6. #36
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    45,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Bit hard to answer when it doesn't directly apply to me.

    But if you stuck a gun to my head and choose, I would go Ashes because I liked cricket well before I liked football, but a football World Cup win would be massive here, I mean I have never seen such a reaction/following towards football/soccer here in Australia, so it shows you how significant it was to qualify for it whereas in England it is more or less expected as a given, especially with some of the teams England have had in their qualifying pools for their last two major tournaments. I suppose World Cup qualification would still be expected (or at worst play off) if England were drawn with Spain and France or Italy for example?
    Been there, done that.

    Qualified ahead of Italy for 98 & Germany for 2002. We also had Turkey in our group for Euro 2004, who had finished 3rd at the previous WC.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The PFA does not represent players when they have broken the law and been convicted on non-football matters."
    - Gordon Taylor in 2009 following Marlon King's release after a prison sentence for sexual assault & ABH

  7. #37
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Been there, done that.

    Qualified ahead of Italy for 98 & Germany for 2002. We also had Turkey in our group for Euro 2004, who had finished 3rd at the previous WC.
    I think he means with 2 of those three in England's qualification group.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

    Blacks ftw

  8. #38
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Posts
    35,365
    football world cup for me.

  9. #39
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,584
    The Ashes.
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, DA Warner, CA Lynn, *MEK Hussey, Shakib Al Hasan, JP Faulkner, +Mushfiqur Rahim, AC Agar, Mashrafe Mortaza, Taskin Ahmed, JP Behrendorff.

    RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

  10. #40
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Any cricket over any soccer for me.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  11. #41
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    I'd put The Rams getting promoted/winning summat ahead of everything to be honest. Then World Cup, then Ashes. Cricket World Cup, meh.
    It's a debate that's raged long and hard (ooer, missus) on Ramzone recently.

    For me, club and country are dead level, and so for that matter are footy and cricket - but the only reason I can say that is of course because we don't have to choose, and I can wrap them up neatly and compartmentalise them.

    Having seen two league titles for the Rams, and comparing them to the footy WC in 1966, the WC was totally expected, and so was Derby's second league title. The first one though was utterly outrageous (even down to how we ended up winning it, when the players were on holiday in Majorca), and the thrill is with me still, just thinking about it I have shivers running up and down my spine and I can remember every detail as if it were yesterday.

    You know, reading that has made me think. I've been kidding myself, haven't I?

    DCFC every single time - there's nothing like it.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,882
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    Any cricket over any soccer for me.
    Yep. Ashes, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  13. #43
    International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Derby, England.
    Posts
    2,939
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It's a debate that's raged long and hard (ooer, missus) on Ramzone recently.

    For me, club and country are dead level, and so for that matter are footy and cricket - but the only reason I can say that is of course because we don't have to choose, and I can wrap them up neatly and compartmentalise them.

    Having seen two league titles for the Rams, and comparing them to the footy WC in 1966, the WC was totally expected, and so was Derby's second league title. The first one though was utterly outrageous (even down to how we ended up winning it, when the players were on holiday in Majorca), and the thrill is with me still, just thinking about it I have shivers running up and down my spine and I can remember every detail as if it were yesterday.

    You know, reading that has made me think. I've been kidding myself, haven't I?

    DCFC every single time - there's nothing like it.
    Aye. Winning the Ashes was great and I did celebrate, but not in the way I celebrated Robbie Van der Laaaaaan, Van der Laaaaaan, Van der Laaaaaan on that magical day, no comparison. I don't take it as far as some, I mean there are people who'd take a local derby win over an England World Cup victory, I'm not sure if that's admirable or just plain stupid.

  14. #44
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,690
    Nothing compares to the FIFA world cup.
    Nothing.
    Captain for the Blues.

    Code:
    FC : 129 matches
    281 runs @ 1.76
    650 wickets @ 28.86, S/R of 41.75
    Best Bowling of 8 for 57
    39 5-wicket innings, 7 10-wicket matches.
    
    Test : 12 matches
    8 runs @ 0.62
    68 wickets @ 27.99, S/R of 40.22
    Best Bowling of 5 for 59
    4 5-wicket innings, 0 10-wicket matches.

  15. #45
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    19,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    I think he means with 2 of those three in England's qualification group.
    because of the way the seedings work thats pretty much impossible atm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Never Ending Question Game
    By NikhilN in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3196
    Last Post: 19-04-2015, 07:30 AM
  2. Who the Aussies think are the best
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 22-03-2006, 08:35 AM
  3. Is Pakistan Good Enough To Beat Aussie's
    By cricket player in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:58 AM
  4. A big question
    By nibbs in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 06:43 AM
  5. Mike Burns Online
    By jf2001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-07-2003, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •