• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Ref

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Guys, for goodness sake, watch your language!

This is a final warning to the both of you before you will be issued with a seven day ban.
Isn't that what the filter is for? Why have it if it's still against the rules to type a line of asterisks? Little lost here...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The filter is there to prevent swearwords appearing if someone tries to type them. That doesn't mean they should be a stand-in for the word on regular occasions. James wants people not to swear, not go on a swearing tirade with the asterisks barely masking the intended word.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Jingoistic nationalistic idiocy is alive and well.
Being frustrated by umpiring errors or cheating or the result of a sporting event or whatever isn't the same as jingoism or nationalism, now is it? You may as well suggest that supporting your home nation at all is equivalent to nationalism. If the anger was directed at Italy and Italians I might agree with you, but FIFA is an accountable sporting body and just as reasonable to attack as the ICC.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Being frustrated by umpiring errors or cheating or the result of a sporting event or whatever isn't the same as jingoism or nationalism, now is it? You may as well suggest that supporting your home nation at all is equivalent to nationalism. If the anger was directed at Italy and Italians I might agree with you, but FIFA is an accountable sporting body and just as reasonable to attack as the ICC.
You're right.
I'll just say idiocy is alive and well, considering the overreactions to something that isn't as clear cut as it seems.
Although, if I was referring to the Australian media (and I wasn't) my point would be true, wouldn't you agree?

James

Cricket Web Owner
FaaipDeOiad said:
Isn't that what the filter is for? Why have it if it's still against the rules to type a line of asterisks? Little lost here...
Following on from Voltman's post which is correct, there is a difference between ************ and members placing a star(s) [*] to get around the filter as the two members at the top of this thread did. They are doing this knowing what they are doing in trying to fool the filter.

Even so, as Voltman said, continued abuse of the filter in any aspect will end up with the member being bannedm after the warning process. The forum has a "good name" from people outside and inside the forum and I want it to continue.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
James said:
Following on from Voltman's post which is correct, there is a difference between ************ and members placing a star(s) [*] to get around the filter as the two members at the top of this thread did.

for yur information james, since when is p i s s e d off a swear word.. correct me if i am worng..

James

Cricket Web Owner
alternative said:
for yur information james, since when is p i s s e d off a swear word.. correct me if i am worng..
It's bad language.

I'm not interested on whether it's "officially" a swear word or not.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dasa said:
You're right.
I'll just say idiocy is alive and well, considering the overreactions to something that isn't as clear cut as it seems.
Although, if I was referring to the Australian media (and I wasn't) my point would be true, wouldn't you agree?
Dasa it seems like you've taken issue with Australia getting behind the Socceroos this World Cup, particularly the media, but its no different to any nation really.

And whilst from the point of view of someone who had not watched any of the matches (I know you did though), continous crying and whinging about the referees in this WC would just seem like Australians being bitter and 'idiotic', but in this specific situation they'd be totally justified to be angry. In the first three matches I have no doubt that they were screwed by the refs, and in the third many believe that that penalty shouldn't have stood, and when you consider the diving Italy did all match (Del Piero falling over 10 seconds after he was 'fouled' for eg :dry: ) I think its fair enough for everyone to be angry.

The Socceroos' World Cup story, from getting Guus as coach very late in the campaign to qualifying to coming back from behind against Japan and Croatia, making the second round and finally taking it right up to Italy has been a wonderful story, and you can't really blame the media for jumping on board now can you?

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
Any one else feel like writing a formal, yet insullting, complaint to FIFA about the competancy/cheating ways of the refs they have for the World Cup?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Every WC there's an outcry around the refereeing. It's part of the drama. You'll get over it by next week, but you'll never forget it. Just ask the Englishmen about a certain fat Argy striker. ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
You're right.
That depends. Some of the media has been very jingoistic yes, like that article about why Brazil is a crappy country we should hate. Other parts of the media has just been enthusiastic and catered to people's interest in the Australian side, which is pretty much par for the course.

You might be right about people overreacting, but I think this world cup means a lot to Australian sports fans, and it was certainly one of the most heart-breaking losses you'll ever see given the timing and the controversial nature of the decision and so on, so I don't think it's been that bad really.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Every WC there's an outcry around the refereeing. It's part of the drama. You'll get over it by next week, but you'll never forget it. Just ask the Englishmen about a certain fat Argy striker. ;)
There's normal controversial refereeing and special stuff in my view. The treatment that Spain and Italy got against South Korea in 2002 was special, and the treatment Australia has gotten this WC has been equally bad. You're right though, I'd say people will forget about the odd missed penalty and that sort of stuff, but not a dodgy penalty six seconds from time against one of the world's best sides. ;)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Dasa it seems like you've taken issue with Australia getting behind the Socceroos this World Cup, particularly the media, but its no different to any nation really.

And whilst from the point of view of someone who had not watched any of the matches (I know you did though), continous crying and whinging about the referees in this WC would just seem like Australians being bitter and 'idiotic', but in this specific situation they'd be totally justified to be angry. In the first three matches I have no doubt that they were screwed by the refs, and in the third many believe that that penalty shouldn't have stood, and when you consider the diving Italy did all match (Del Piero falling over 10 seconds after he was 'fouled' for eg :dry: ) I think its fair enough for everyone to be angry.

The Socceroos' World Cup story, from getting Guus as coach very late in the campaign to qualifying to coming back from behind against Japan and Croatia, making the second round and finally taking it right up to Italy has been a wonderful story, and you can't really blame the media for jumping on board now can you?
You and FaaipDeOiad are making fair points, however, I disagree with the bolded part above. I think the media should always aspire to be unbiased - there should be no 'we' (as in 'we were robbed' etc.). I know that it's hardly better in most places, but I live in Australia and therefore I have the opportunity to see it most here. I think it's quite fair to condemn the media for fueling some idiotic statements from fans and basically portraying the events in the WC to deify the Australians while denigrating other teams.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The thing that stings most about the decision, is that there was no "right of reply" as such. With the penalty being so late, it was such a death knell.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia has played so well all tournament, dominated most games and weren't outclassed by even the best side in the world. The important referring decisions always seemed to go against us often without logic and the saddest thing is looking back at our performance we have 1 win, 2 losses and draw and a goal differential of -1