• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Ref

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Schwarzer brought it on himself. Wasn't in the best position to either get the ball or avoid being crashed into.

Shounak

Banned
He would most likely have saved that goal had he not been knocked over.. He really wasn't that far from it..

That was worthy of a penalty..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I get a bad feeling that all these yellows cards he gave out could be a major influence in the match against Croatia.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair, there was a penalty that should have been given against Cahill right after he'd scored that probably would've made it 2-1.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It was a blatant foul. He jumped straight in to him and clearly impeded his path to the ball, and it was in no way an attempt to get to the ball legitimately either.

I had problems with the referee before the goal in fact, and the goal obviously made it far worse, as did the myriad of pointless cards against Australian players.

Still, 3-1.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to say the ref in the England game was far worse.

There was a period of thirty mins where England got nothing, everytime Crouch went for a header it was judged to be a foul, refused to let the players drink.

Stupid decision to let a Hispanic ref be in charge of a game with another Hispanic team involved.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shounak said:
He would most likely have saved that goal had he not been knocked over.. He really wasn't that far from it..

That was worthy of a penalty..
Assume you can only be talking about Cahill's tackle now, unless you think a highly debateable collision is a penalty to Japan?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Assume you can only be talking about Cahill's tackle now, unless you think a highly debateable collision is a penalty to Japan?
Debatable? Are you kidding? It was a complete farce.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not the way the pundits over here saw it - every replay made them say it was less and less certain and that Schwarzer wasn't without blame.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not the way the pundits over here saw it - every replay made them say it was less and less certain and that Schwarzer wasn't without blame.
He wasn't without blame with regards to the goal going in, he could have handled it a lot better for sure. However, he was definately fouled, as you can see in the image, and if you happen to see a replay of it, he was obviously obstructed by someone who was nowhere near the ball. Keeper fouled in an obvious manner = no goal, whether the keeper made an error or not.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The picture makes it look a lot clearer than it looked at normal pace. It was a marginal call, I'd have been annoyed if the goal had stood if I'd been supporting Oz, but equally I'd have been irritated if it'd been ruled out were I supporting the oppo.

Foul for mine, but can understand why it wasn't given. There's an awful lot of mileage I could get out of "keepers being given too much protection in the modern game", but that's another thread altogether.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Debatable? Are you kidding? It was a complete farce.
Just saw it (I was at work so just saw highlights).

I didn't think it was a foul.

Saying that, though, most referees would have given Australia the free-kick because goalies nowadays are protected better than Siberian tigers.

Like BB says, you win some, you lose some. Japan should have had a penalty though - what's your take on that one?

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
The goal shouldn't have stood for mine. Schwarzer got himself into an awful position, yes, but he still would have made at least some contact with the ball if he hadn't been blocked.

As for the penalty call at the end of the game - you could argue that the Japanese player had lost the ball already but as far as I know that has no impact on whether its a foul or not so it probably should ahve been a penalty.