Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 154

Thread: Stupid Ref

  1. #46
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,865
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    How on earth is a foul cheating? An accidental handball is a foul, as is a tackle that's fractionally late or whatever else. Yes, dragging down a player on their way to goal is cheating (sort of), which is why it's usually punished by a red card, but playing in a physical manner, tackling hard to impose physical pressure and slow opposition run and giving away the odd foul is perfectly legitimate, while pretending to be fouled when you aren't certainly isn't.
    Actually, strictly speaking, an accidental handball isn't a foul. FIFA's Law 12 states "A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)."

    The whole issue is murky because the law doesn't really define what is "deliberate". Referees have to judge intent which is, by definition, a subjective call.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  2. #47
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    47,925
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    How on earth is a foul cheating? An accidental handball is a foul, as is a tackle that's fractionally late or whatever else. Yes, dragging down a player on their way to goal is cheating (sort of), which is why it's usually punished by a red card, but playing in a physical manner, tackling hard to impose physical pressure and slow opposition run and giving away the odd foul is perfectly legitimate, while pretending to be fouled when you aren't certainly isn't.
    Handball is only an offence if deliberate

    If you foul someone, you are breaking the rules. Breaking the rules = cheating. Therefore, foul=cheating.

    A physical game isn't cheating. You can play physically without fouling. but a team who constantly foul the opposition will always be branded cheats.

    Why is diving worse? You dive to win a free-kick. You foul a player to prevent him gaining a territorial advantage, or making a pass, or shooting. Both offences are done in the interests of your own team. both are just as bad as each other.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #48
    State Vice-Captain Sir Redman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Handball is only an offence if deliberate

    If you foul someone, you are breaking the rules. Breaking the rules = cheating. Therefore, foul=cheating.

    A physical game isn't cheating. You can play physically without fouling. but a team who constantly foul the opposition will always be branded cheats.

    Why is diving worse? You dive to win a free-kick. You foul a player to prevent him gaining a territorial advantage, or making a pass, or shooting. Both offences are done in the interests of your own team. both are just as bad as each other.
    But you don't always foul a player to give your team an advantage. Most fouls are genuine attempts to win the ball - say going in for a tackle but mistiming it slightly and taking the player. The only fouls that could fairly be called cheating are the professional fouls - deliberate handballs, tugging a shirt to stop someone breaking away etc.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

    - Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

    *****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

  4. #49
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558
    On the subject of Referrees - I thought Brazil's Carlos Simon (who refereed Italy v Ghana ) the best so far . Just my personal opinion - any other boquets for other referees ...?


  5. #50
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,865
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON
    On the subject of Referrees - I thought Brazil's Carlos Simon (who refereed Italy v Ghana ) the best so far . Just my personal opinion - any other boquets for other referees ...?
    I've generally been fairly impressed with the standard thus far, with the exceptions of the Mexican gentleman who reffed England-Paraguay & the Russian who took charge of France-Switzerland.

    It may or may not be coincidental these have been comfortably the worst games of the tournament to date....

  6. #51
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    47,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Redman
    But you don't always foul a player to give your team an advantage. Most fouls are genuine attempts to win the ball - say going in for a tackle but mistiming it slightly and taking the player. The only fouls that could fairly be called cheating are the professional fouls - deliberate handballs, tugging a shirt to stop someone breaking away etc.
    Okay I accept your point there but I still maintain that team that constantly fouls are a team that cheats.

  7. #52
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I've generally been fairly impressed with the standard thus far, with the exceptions of the Mexican gentleman who reffed England-Paraguay & the Russian who took charge of France-Switzerland.

    It may or may not be coincidental these have been comfortably the worst games of the tournament to date....

    Have to agree with you . Although the Egyptian ref of Aus v Jap should probably not be designated for the next round for fear of causing more and more controversy .

    Any one can err, but to be insecure in their error is far greater offence , IMHO. He will be under even more pressure in subsequent rounds and will struggle to gain player respect in the way he has gone on both during the game and after, IMO.

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,101
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Handball is only an offence if deliberate

    If you foul someone, you are breaking the rules. Breaking the rules = cheating. Therefore, foul=cheating.

    A physical game isn't cheating. You can play physically without fouling. but a team who constantly foul the opposition will always be branded cheats.

    Why is diving worse? You dive to win a free-kick. You foul a player to prevent him gaining a territorial advantage, or making a pass, or shooting. Both offences are done in the interests of your own team. both are just as bad as each other.
    As Redman said, that's assuming that all fouls are professional fouls. To use a cricket comparison, bowling a no ball and taking a wicket with it is outside of the rules of the game, but it isn't cheating, as it is is expected and there is an available punishment (being a run penalty and the reversal of the wciket) for people who do it. Claiming a catch you didn't take is cheating, while bowling a no ball isn't. Simple.

    A professional foul designed to prevent a goal is certainly a serious violation of the rules, but that's what the red card is for. Indeed, most genuinely professional fouls which are just designed to cut run and not to win the ball will be carded. It's simply a trade-off for a team that does it. A foul which is an attempt to win the ball is a perfectly legitimate part of the game, as are fouls where the attempt is to simply to halt the ball carrier if winning the ball is impossible (different from dragging down a player who doesn't have the ball, obviously). It's a trade-off between the danger of a free kick and/or a card, and letting the player roam free, and teams that foul a lot are simply using a different tactical approach.

    Diving is a totally different issue, and is basically equivalent to "simulation" in any other kind of sport. It's an attempt to cheat your opposition by having them punished for an offence they didn't commit, and players who do it are operating outside of the spirit of the contest, imo. I don't think you can say that about teams that foul.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  9. #54
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    47,925
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    As

    A foul which is an attempt to win the ball is a perfectly legitimate part of the game, as are fouls where the attempt is to simply to halt the ball carrier if winning the ball is impossible (different from dragging down a player who doesn't have the ball, obviously). It's a trade-off between the danger of a free kick and/or a card, and letting the player roam free, and teams that foul a lot are simply using a different tactical approach.

    Diving is a totally different issue, and is basically equivalent to "simulation" in any other kind of sport. It's an attempt to cheat your opposition by having them punished for an offence they didn't commit, and players who do it are operating outside of the spirit of the contest, imo. I don't think you can say that about teams that foul.
    A deliberate foul is cheating regardless of the circumstances. Diving isn't cheating any more than tripping a player up, diving is an attempt to gain advantage for your team, a foul is an attempt to stop another team holding possession. And when a player commits a foul, he always does it hoping he won't get caught. It is cheating. This is why a team like Blackburn Rovers are referred to as a team of cheats constantly. They have very few players who would dream of diving but they kick the hell out of the opposition.

  10. #55
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,548
    I think today's guy's made one effort for worst decision yet!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  11. #56
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,542
    Have to agree, the referee was a disgrace. Japan should have had a penalty, Cahill would have got his second yellow, they would have converted it, World Cup dream over for Australia et cetera et cetera. Is that what he is moaning about?

  12. #57
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,383
    Didn't the referee admit that he should have disallowed the Japanese goal anyway?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  13. #58
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Yes he did.

    How Tim Cahill did not concede a penalty I don't know.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  14. #59
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    This thread deserves a bump after the efforts of that English ref in the Australia v Croatia game. Missing Viduka getting tackled in the box and giving the Croation 3 yellows were highlights
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  15. #60
    International Captain Cloete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Suncorp Stadium
    Posts
    7,004
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    This thread deserves a bump after the efforts of that English ref in the Australia v Croatia game. Missing Viduka getting tackled in the box and giving the Croation 3 yellows were highlights
    Who could forget the numerous hand balls from Simic?

    That guy's off the planet. He wasn't even jumping, just raising his fist and guiding it into touch
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

    Blacks ftw

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Injuries (Especially stupid ones)
    By Jono in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
  2. A little test to make you feel very stupid
    By Somerset in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 242
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 11:24 AM
  3. Something Stupid
    By Anna in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
  4. Stupid moments on the cricket field.
    By Hoggy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-10-2003, 11:41 AM
  5. Stupid Photo
    By Anna in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 15-01-2003, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •