Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Whose failure are you supporting?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    The rest of Oceania might as well merge with Asia...
    Travelling costs of the Nauru Football Federation would skyrocket, I think. Imagine playing away matches in Kyrgyzstan, Bahrain and North Korea.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Travelling costs of the Nauru Football Federation would skyrocket, I think. Imagine playing away matches in Kyrgyzstan, Bahrain and North Korea.
    Isn't the AFC somewhat regionalised with qualifying groups and so on? If not, Oceania could certainly become a subsidiary of the AFC, where it had its own qualifying section which fed into the later stages (preventing unnecessary travel and such), not just for the World Cup, but also for the Asian Nations Cup and so on. I'm sure Nauru could get a team over to Bahrain to play in a major tournament, if they qualified.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I have to say that without Oz Oceania will be very happy with their half-spot. I don't know all that much about the strength of NZ, but judging by the qualifying results this time around they'll have a better chance of qualifying via a play-off with the fifth placed South American team than they would fighting thru the Asian qualifiers.

Mind you, the results this time kinda give lie to my assumption it'll be NZ in the play-off anyway!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    I have a feeling Nauru wouldn't bother, in that case. The country is close to bankruptcy, its main sport is Aussie rules, and there's only about 10,000 on the island. In fact, I hardly remember them ever being at a Oceania qualifying tournament. Useless fact #45 - my family lived there for 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I have to say that without Oz Oceania will be very happy with their half-spot. I don't know all that much about the strength of NZ, but judging by the qualifying results this time around they'll have a better chance of qualifying via a play-off with the fifth placed South American team than they would fighting thru the Asian qualifiers.

Mind you, the results this time kinda give lie to my assumption it'll be NZ in the play-off anyway!
    Yeah we had a shocker in the qualifiers last time round, but have improved remarkably since then. They might as well rename Oceania New Zealand.

All Whites 2006 - Results

February 19 New Zealand 1 Malaysia 0
    February 23 New Zealand 2 Malaysia 1
    April 25 Chile 4 New Zealand 1
    April 27 Chile 1 New Zealand 0
    May 24 Hungary 2 New Zealand 0
    May 27 Georgia 1 New Zealand 3
    May 31 Estonia 1 New Zealand 1
    June 4 Brazil 4 New Zealand 0

Not superb results, but our first ever draw and win in europe and without our two EPL players...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Isn't the AFC somewhat regionalised with qualifying groups and so on? If not, Oceania could certainly become a subsidiary of the AFC, where it had its own qualifying section which fed into the later stages (preventing unnecessary travel and such), not just for the World Cup, but also for the Asian Nations Cup and so on. I'm sure Nauru could get a team over to Bahrain to play in a major tournament, if they qualified.
    Yeah, that'd probably be best (a bit like the Caribbean works within CONCACAF at present). Of course, now Voltman has pointed out that they don't actually play (their one registered international is a 2-1 win over the Solomon Islands), so I'd better replace them with Samoa in my example.

Wouldn't be averse to merging CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, either - the two work together quite a lot (with USA and Mexico being invited to the Copa America regularly), time zones aren't really a problem. The only thing I can see is the South American home-and-away league being ditched.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    That would be a logical extension of the current situation - IIRC Australia didn't play many games in qualifying did they - so could fit those into a shorter spell and have a final qualifying thing.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    That would be a logical extension of the current situation - IIRC Australia didn't play many games in qualifying did they - so could fit those into a shorter spell and have a final qualifying thing.
    Yeah, very few games, and really only two against a seriously competitive side. That's one of the best things about moving to the AFC really - regular competitive international fixtures. Australia has already played Bahrain in an Asian Nations Cup qualifier, and they have three more of them coming up in August, something which simply didn't happen in Oceania.

Something will have to be done about Oceania now, because it's going to become even more pointless without Australia. New Zealand is now the only country in the region who will have a team of professionals representing them, as far as I'm aware.

I want Italy out of the tournament. I hope Czech beats Italy and whoever wins between Ghana and USA, wins by a huge marging.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    I want Italy out of the tournament. I hope Czech beats Italy and whoever wins between Ghana and USA, wins by a huge marging.
    Hear hear.

There's no place for assault and battery on a football field.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Can I be the first to advocate that no continent should get an extra qualifying place, instead the Hosts should qualify automatically each time, it's quite the scandal that Brazil had to qualify.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    I really am getting old. My "hate" is diluting. I've found myself, over the last few days, "quite indifferent as to" bordering on "wouldn't mind seeing" the US of States or the Convicts doing well in their respective matches.

Where is the hate?

Ahh, that's better. ****s.

Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Why do you hate Liverpool?

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    The simple answer is that being a Rams fan in the 80s I had no choice, they were the Man U/Chelsea of their day, their fans are arrogant filth, the ref's loved 'em etc. The detailed answer, I've learned over the years, is best left alone as it upsets too many people. Sorry if that sounds like a cop out.

No worries. Never knew of any Derby County resentment to these parts. Well, except when the mighty whites were stuffing them 5-1 every year

only to be beaten 6-2 in the return game each time

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information