Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Whose failure are you supporting?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Didn't that happen once, and Australia were beaten by Iran?!
    When we qualified in 1982 we had to win Oceania, then win a Middle Eastern playoff group (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and someone else I've forgotten) and finally play off with China for the final position.

Had to beat the Saudi's 5-0 in Saudi Arabia too to get through to the final - we scored all 5 in the first half.
    He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

- Gareth Keenan from "The Office"

*****Winner***** of the 2006 FIFA World Cup predictions thread...see you in four years' time?

International Captain Buddhmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    No, laughably they're actually fifth!

For soem kind of perspective on that Argentina are 9th, we're 10th & Italy 13th....
    I gather it's because they verse ****** countries like maybe Greenland and Mongolia that they are rated so high

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Didn't that happen once, and Australia were beaten by Iran?!
    Not beaten as such, but yes. Something of a freak result though, I'd expect Australia to be big favourites to qualify from the AFC on a regular basis, as they are obviously one of the better sides in the region.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah I agree with that, wasn't a whole lot between you and Japan but you deserved your win, and they are one of the better Asian sides. I expect Aussies to become regulars at the World Cup from now on
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Yeah I agree with that, wasn't a whole lot between you and Japan but you deserved your win, and they are one of the better Asian sides. I expect Aussies to become regulars at the World Cup from now on
    Yeah, Australia also beat Bahrain 3-1 with a second-string side in the leadup to the WC, who are one of the better Asian sides as well I believe. Should be a decent shot in the Asian Nations Cup next year.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    This is in no way a shot at Oz, but for mine 4 Asian teams (with the possibility of a fifth) is too many. Same with CONCACAF (sp?), the standard of the teams doesn't justify their representation either.

Africa & South America should have at least one more. I don't think (say) Iran or Costa Rica add as much to the occasion as (say) Cameroon or Chile would.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

This is in no way a shot at Oz, but for mine 4 Asian teams (with the possibility of a fifth) is too many. Same with CONCACAF (sp?), the standard of the teams doesn't justify their representation either.

Africa & South America should have at least one more. I don't think (say) Iran or Costa Rica add as much to the occasion as (say) Cameroon or Chile would.
    I agree. CONCACAF and the AFC are clearly the weakest conferences (aside from Oceania, which doesn't get a place at all), and 4-5 is too many for both of them. I'd be happy to see both of them lose a spot and have them go to South America and Africa, with Oceania playing off with the 4th Asian side or the 6th South American one.

Mind you, with Saudi Arabia playing decently, the fare from Asia this time doesn't look too bad. Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and Iran are all decent sides, but with the chance of a 5th side it's a bit too much I think, especially with Africa doing so well.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Wouldn't a better option be that perhaps they play off with the next best side from those mentioned?

Say Concacaf vs South America and Asia vs Africa?

Of course that might leave South America's 6th side going through and 5th side out!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Haven't African teams lost every game so far bar one - where Tunisia got a late goal to draw against Saudi Arabia?

I fail to see how Africa would merit another place with that record.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Haven't African teams lost every game so far bar one - where Tunisia got a late goal to draw against Saudi Arabia?

I fail to see how Africa would merit another place with that record.
    And that's got nowt to do with the group drawings, where the two decent sides to make it through qualifying have both been placed in groups with two of the top ten sides in the world? The fact that Senegal, quarter-finalists from four years ago, missed out, suggests that competition among the African teams is too tough and there needs to be expansion (a bit like Spain nearly missed out on this cup, then goes on to beat Ukraine 4-0). Anyway, if you look at the last 12 years or so, Africa's definitely the strongest of the four

Europe have enough places, it's shown by teams like Norway, Poland, Switzerland, Scotland, Serbia/Montenegro, Ukraine, Eire, Austria turning up at the World Cup at regular intervals.

Asia have enough places by far - the only reason they got more is because they hosted WC02 and somehow managed to scrap in a half-place in addition to the two hosts. Then they refused to give it away. Korea were awful against Togo and barely scraped a win, Iran = Angola, Saudis = Tunisia, and Japan < Australia. Luckily Australia gets in AFC now so there's a bit of competition for Japan and Korea, at least.

North America have been appalling all cup, with the exception of Trini & Tobago with their slight genius of a coach.

South America have the high-altitude teams who get through anyway on their home record (Bolivia 94, Ecuador 02 and 06), but Ecuador have actually done fairly well, and, importantly, football is religion down there. However, there's only so many places you can give to a continent with 10 teams without making the qualifiers pointless.

Oceania are crap without Australia.

No, the only continent to deserve more places is Africa - footballing talent, tough competition for places, and a massive amount of countries fighting for them - but, since there's no money in Africa, they'll be lucky to stay at five.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    One look at the African nations not here suggests the continent is far stronger than the number of places on offer.

Even though I am a US Fan, I would rather have teams like Columbia, Cameroon, Chile play in the world cup.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Europe have enough places, it's shown by teams like Norway, Poland, Switzerland, Scotland, Serbia/Montenegro, Ukraine, Eire, Austria turning up at the World Cup at regular intervals.
    Ukraine's first time.
    In each world cup Eire have qualified for they've reached at least the second round, proving they don't just go to make up numbers. Being a touch harsh on them aren't you?
    Your point about Norway stands, though

The ideal solution might be taking the half Asia-half North America slot and moving it to Africa. That'd give CONCACAF 3 solid places (USA, Mexico and someone else, presumably), and Asia 4 solid places (for which Japan, SK, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Iran, China and whoever else would compete). South America probably doesn't deserve a potential 6, since there's only 10 nations there, so that seems the fairest makeup.

That'd give Europe 13, Africa 6, South America 4.5, Asia 4, North/Central America 3 and Oceania 0.5, with one host. Oceania could also playoff against an African side, leaving 5 for South America.

The rest of Oceania might as well merge with Asia...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information