• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whose failure are you supporting?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
In regards to why I don't particularly like their soccer team, because it just looks like they don't belong. I'm guessing the hype there in the US isn't very big, and most people wouldn't care.
Well this is the 3rd WC since I came to US and IMO this time around, the media coverage is a lot more, media hype about the US team was definately a lot more than previous years.

But you are right, people dont really care, none of my colleagues have/had any idea about it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It is fair to say if the USA were not in the World Cup, FIFA would be very upset. CONCACAF were only given more potential places for the World Cup because of the fears that the USA and Mexico could miss out. FIFA could not afford to lose a huge part of it’s potential audience (the TV right's deal in the US is bigger than any other nation I am told).

Needless to say China’s failure to qualify also was a cause of concern for FIFA and come hell or high water, China need to be in South Africa in four years time.

The US in FIFA eyes are not minnows but one of the best sources of prosperity.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Needless to say China’s failure to qualify also was a cause of concern for FIFA and come hell or high water, China need to be in South Africa in four years time.
Do they have any such plan for INDIA ? :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Do they have any such plan for INDIA ? :)
Unfortunately I think India are a bit too dire to qualify for the World Cup right now, no matter how many concessions they got, but I'm sure if they improved to be a decent team by Asian football standards FIFA would be desperate to have them qualify, given how significant sporting success is in Indian culture.

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Unfortunately I think India are a bit too dire to qualify for the World Cup right now, no matter how many concessions they got, but I'm sure if they improved to be a decent team by Asian football standards FIFA would be desperate to have them qualify, given how significant sporting success is in Indian culture.

India actually were one of the best teams in Asian football during the 50's, 60's and 70's but unfortunately the game fell away as cricket took sway.

Amazingly enough they actually qualified for the 1950 world cup but they couldn't go due to a lack of funds.

They've recently appointed an English Coach in Bob Houghton, so they are hoping to improve on their world rankings witrh him.
There does appear to be quite a bit of footballing talent over in India if you beleive some of the people associated with Indian football.

These BBC article on the topic are quite revealing http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/3937015.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/5071330.stm

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gajanayake said:
India actually were one of the best teams in Asian football during the 50's, 60's and 70's but unfortunately the game fell away as cricket took sway.

Amazingly enough they actually qualified for the 1950 world cup but they couldn't go due to a lack of funds.
That's right we were successful when no one in Asia played the game. And let's not blame cricket, please !!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gajanayake said:
I thought you never went because FIFA wouldn't let you play in bare feet

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
NZ is going to qualify in 2010... It is going to be huge
That would be so awesome.

It will actually be our best chance to qualify for ages - we only have to beat one team that's miles better than us instead of two like usual.

Blaze

Banned
Sir Redman said:
That would be so awesome.

It will actually be our best chance to qualify for ages - we only have to beat one team that's miles better than us instead of two like usual.
Yeah it would be Uruguay or someone like that wouldn't it? I reckon NZ football is improving all the time.

It would be nice if we could play-off against a team like Saudi Arabia or someone like that instead of a South American nation...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blaze said:
It would be nice if we could play-off against a team like Saudi Arabia or someone like that instead of a South American nation...
Didn't that happen once, and Australia were beaten by Iran?!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
When we qualified in 1982 we had to win Oceania, then win a Middle Eastern playoff group (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and someone else I've forgotten) and finally play off with China for the final position.

Had to beat the Saudi's 5-0 in Saudi Arabia too to get through to the final - we scored all 5 in the first half.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
No, laughably they're actually fifth! :D

For soem kind of perspective on that Argentina are 9th, we're 10th & Italy 13th....
I gather it's because they verse ****** countries like maybe Greenland and Mongolia that they are rated so high

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not beaten as such, but yes. Something of a freak result though, I'd expect Australia to be big favourites to qualify from the AFC on a regular basis, as they are obviously one of the better sides in the region.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I agree with that, wasn't a whole lot between you and Japan but you deserved your win, and they are one of the better Asian sides. I expect Aussies to become regulars at the World Cup from now on

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yeah I agree with that, wasn't a whole lot between you and Japan but you deserved your win, and they are one of the better Asian sides. I expect Aussies to become regulars at the World Cup from now on
Yeah, Australia also beat Bahrain 3-1 with a second-string side in the leadup to the WC, who are one of the better Asian sides as well I believe. Should be a decent shot in the Asian Nations Cup next year.